question-circle Triton 3 with PrimaLuna Integrated - protective mode

• abruptmodulation's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 4
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
abruptmodulation Posted 6 years 11 months ago
Hello all -

I just became the proud owner of (new to me) Triton 3, and I'm so thrilled with them. I have had them for about a week, and a few days ago ran into an issue where the amp kept going into Protective Mode (Bad Tube Indicator light).

After a couple days of back and forth and a ton of help from Saturday Audio Exchange in Chicago (the best of the best) I finally figured out it was a speaker issue. I took some banana plugs off the speaker end, which I suspected were the culprits. Got it to turn on - woo hoo.

Then it went into Protective Mode again. Hmmm .. so then I thought, is the sub-woofer powering up throwing off the amp? It would go into lockdown when the sub-woofer "popped" turning on.

I then discovered that the speakers needed to be powered on BEFORE the PrimaLuna so it doesn't go into lockdown. This means that I can't let the speakers go into sleep mode and need to somehow get them to turn on before the amp.

From there I did a little research and found this link on PrimaLuna's site: www.primaluna-usa.com/using-speakers-with-builtin-subwoofers - it gives instruction to wire an 82ohm resistor across the speaker taps.

Has anyone else experienced this before? Have you found resolve in adding the resistor?
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 6 years 11 months ago
Abruptmodulation:
I've had an Primaluna Premium Preamp mated with an Decware Zen Torii mk4 for a couple of years now. I've paired them with the T2'S and now the T Refs and never once have I experienced a problem. I was instructed that the Primaluna always is turned on first, followed by the amp, and source last. Reverse the order upon shutdown -- Source 1st, amp 2cd, preamp last. Personally I've never heard of the problem of which you speak, but the solution on the Primaluna site may well be what you are looking for.

Best of Luck
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!

Thank you for the note back!

I have the Classic Integrated amp, and what's happening - I think - is that when the sub-woofer "pops" on, then the tube signal senses danger and just turns off.

It works 100% of the time if the speakers are already powered; hoping to hear from others on this. It sounds so fabulous that I hope others don't turn away from this combination if they experience the same issue.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
ArthurDaniels Posted 6 years 11 months ago
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by ArthurDaniels. info_outline

abruptmodulation wrote: Thank you for the note back!

I have the Classic Integrated amp, and what's happening - I think - is that when the sub-woofer "pops" on, then the tube signal senses danger and just turns off.

It works 100% of the time if the speakers are already powered; hoping to hear from others on this. It sounds so fabulous that I hope others don't turn away from this combination if they experience the same issue.

If your problem is indeed the sub-woofer, here is perhaps a simple fix. You can buy audio line-level switches or selector boxes for a very nominal price. These devices are passive and have standard RCA-type connectors. You can insert the device between the LFE or line-level output of your amp and the LFE or line-level input to your sub. You can then switch the line off prior to turning on your amp. Once the amp is alive, then you can switch the line back on. This approach should not degrade your signal path and should resolve your problem.

Best,

Art

Clever idea!! Unfortunately, there's no line level output on my amp.

I'm thinking I should try adding the 82ohm resistor as PrimaLuna suggests in the link I shared in original post. I'm hoping to hear from someone at GoldenEar on this to see if they've heard of it. My shop suggested I give them a ring to let them know; they had never heard of it before and are a certified PrimaLuna + GoldenEar dealer.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 6 years 11 months ago
Yes, known problem with this specific amp. Follow their instructions to solve the problem.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers Triton 3 with PrimaLuna Integrated - protective mode