file PrimaLuna owners

• imahawki's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 578
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
imahawki Posted 7 years 8 months ago
Not an owner but a potential owner. The HT bypass appeals to me since my system is all integrated. I'm not ready to pull the trigger regardless but I can't decide whether to get an integrated amp or a pre-amp and continue using my 7 channel amp.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe, Em84

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Em84's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 109
Em84 Posted 7 years 8 months ago

imahawki wrote: Not an owner but a potential owner. The HT bypass appeals to me since my system is all integrated. I'm not ready to pull the trigger regardless but I can't decide whether to get an integrated amp or a pre-amp and continue using my 7 channel amp.

Great ideas there. The difficulty is sometimes finding a dealer that stocks both of the speaker and amp brands that you're keen on, so you can actually try it properly. A new Triton dealer just popped up nearby and they happened to also sell my same dac (PS Audio DirectStream with Bridge II) so I was luckily able to try quite a few different amps. The Prima Luna will definitely be getting another audition this weekend.

I like the HT bypass feature too, in case I ever get back into a multi channel setup again.
sonicTransporter i5 & Roon Server > Digi+ PRO > Mojo > Dialogue Premium HP > GE Triton Ones

Analysis Plus Speaker Cables, Interconnects & Power Cables
Elgar Ultra High Isolation Transformer
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 7 years 8 months ago
As good as integrated amps are getting, they really are a great option. You eliminate extra connections and the possibility of brands not matching up well together (impedances and signal voltages). My only concern with implementing an integrated amp for the L/R mains and using a different amp for the center and other speakers would be the possibility of the sound not blending entirely seamlessly. This may be nitpicking a bit, but I would want to hear the combination first hand before deciding.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 7 years 8 months ago
Good stuff everybody!
When I got my integrated tube amp one of the selling features was the HT bypass. And honestly, that is hard to integrate into a 2 channel/5.1+ system.
Especially for a bass head.
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE toobs and tube influenced sound/music.
But my room messed with the sound far too much, especially bass nodes, etc. Even way too much for 2 channel (which I hardly ever listen to other than by headphones/in ears). I decided that purist system 2 channel is not really for me; but when it is, then great headphones are the way to go. *I will admit that my new Triton Ones have me second guessing that decision somewhat*
But the ability to use really good room correction and manage those nodes (in a good processor--in my case the Emo XMC-1) was WAY more of a positive, a plus to my music than tubes are.
Let me try to represent that in another way but remember this is for MY (smallish, all concrete) ROOM. I would estimate a good tube pre and amp compared to a really good SS amp gives me maybe a 5-15% improvement in sound, MAYBE. (see note). Whereas good room correction (and I am NOT talking about Aydussey here) gives me around 30-50% improvement in my room, making a world of difference. And I am using hybrid tube/SS amps, so getting some of the best of both worlds.
Therefore, as in the note below, since Triton towers ARE EFFICIENT enough to use with sweet tube amps and lovely integrated tube amps like we are discussing, I find them much better suited to a second system with T 7s in another room. That is what I have done.

note: I am talking about tube amps that I can use in my real world, NOT sweet little 1 or 2 watt 300B jobs that can only drive terribly efficient speakers with no bass, I need to rock my world in my home theater.

Hope this helps, God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

• Em84's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 109
Em84 Posted 7 years 8 months ago
Well it only took me a couple weekends but I am now the proud owner of the Dialogue Premium HP with KT88's :-)

I also sold my Peachtree 220se which was sad for sentimental reasons lol. That amp is incredible value for money but it was time to spend a little more for a long lasting upgrade.

I had the beauty of trialing this amp with the T1's and my same Dac at the dealer so I knew exactly what I was getting and am very very happy :-)

Photo attached. This is still just a temporary small listening room. I can't wait to get it all in a much bigger room but it's sounding fantastic anyway - just as good as at the dealer's massive demo room.

sonicTransporter i5 & Roon Server > Digi+ PRO > Mojo > Dialogue Premium HP > GE Triton Ones

Analysis Plus Speaker Cables, Interconnects & Power Cables
Elgar Ultra High Isolation Transformer
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 7 years 8 months ago
EM84, Looks like a sweet setup!!!!
You may have to change that handle to 88!!!!
I like how you have it placed much higher than the side radiators of the Ones.
Should be wonderful, great for you!!!
Happy Listening,
God bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back