file PrimaLuna owners

• Em84's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 109
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Em84 Posted 7 years 8 months ago

WayneWilmeth wrote: EM84, Looks like a sweet setup!!!!
You may have to change that handle to 88!!!!
I like how you have it placed much higher than the side radiators of the Ones.
Should be wonderful, great for you!!!
Happy Listening,
God bless,
Wayne

Thanks Wayne, yea I took your feedback onboard, even though I couldn't hear any bass distortion I thought why not, it can only be a good idea to keep it away from the bass drivers / radiators. It's about 10cm away from my DAC, which feels ok even after an hour but I'd prefer to move the DAC one shelf down, just to have zero heat from the PrimaLuna reaching the Dac.
sonicTransporter i5 & Roon Server > Digi+ PRO > Mojo > Dialogue Premium HP > GE Triton Ones

Analysis Plus Speaker Cables, Interconnects & Power Cables
Elgar Ultra High Isolation Transformer
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

WayneWilmeth wrote: EM84, Looks like a sweet setup!!!!
You may have to change that handle to 88!!!!
I like how you have it placed much higher than the side radiators of the Ones.
Should be wonderful, great for you!!!
Happy Listening,
God bless,
Wayne

And lol, good call, need to arrange a change to Em88 lol
sonicTransporter i5 & Roon Server > Digi+ PRO > Mojo > Dialogue Premium HP > GE Triton Ones

The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 7 years 8 months ago
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by anthem. info_outline
Em84
Great looking setup. The Primaluna Dialogue Premium HP should provide you with an extremely dynamic and detailed sound for many years to come, and when paired with the T1's it should make it just that much better.

I'll bet Wayne would go gaga over the sound of this setup.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe, Em84

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 7 years 8 months ago
Wayne is gaga over the music coming through his T Ones right now!!!!
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, rjohn79395, T Cobe, Em84

Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by Moderator. info_outline
Cheers guys. I've moved my DirectStream DAC down one shelf, just for piece of mind. I couldn't feel heat from the amp radiating to the Dac at 10cm away, but it was bugging me nonetheless. All sorted now.

Just playing DSD's for the first time through my Tritons via the Dac - wow. Like Wayne I'm also gaga over my current setup.

How amazing do the new Triton References look? My HiFi budget has well and truly been blown for a good 5 years now with my T1's , DirectStream Dac and Primaluna Integrated but I still can't wait to hear the new Reference when they hit the dealers :-)

The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• Ransom's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 12
Ransom Posted 7 years 8 months ago
Well, I wish I had seen this topic a few weeks ago so I could chime in, but hearing is believing so you didn't need my help anyhow. ;) You made a good choice.

I've had a Prima Luna Dialogue (non-HP) powering some T2s for 3 years now and have loved them. Switching to a Marantz AVR briefly that had "more power" was good for a laugh! I'd heard the T2s with some Emotiva monoblocks and a Parasound A21 also, all with substantially more power and still preferred the mere 42 watts or so provided by the Prima Luna.

Anyhow, I'm glad you pulled the trigger and I'm SO JEALOUS!!! :woohoo: The T1 with the HP line from Prima Luna is precisely what I would go to, assuming of course I can't be tempted to go with the References when they release.

A few comments so I can offer some advice though, especially if you are new to tubes. If you have already purchased the amp with the 88s, no sweat, but if you have the stock 34s in there still consider getting the KT150s instead of the 88s. Prima Luna fans and even Kevin Deal himself run these and apparently they are most people's favorite. Read around a bit and you will find people describing why they prefer them over most other options. By the way, with 8 KT150 tubes, you would be at 96watts of Class A (not too shabby, right Wayne?). It isn't a cheap option, but the way people talk about them, it is worth some consideration.

If you haven't changed out the center two 12AU7s I would recommend upgrading them to your sound preferences. I went with the CIFTEs to further improve on the already impressive imaging of the Tritons and that was an inexpensive upgrade. There are certainly other options. I would talk to Kevin Deal of Prima Luna and see what he may recommend. He is the real expert in that arena.

I should add that I've used the bypass mode along with an AVR powering centers and rear with nice results. I even had a Rythmik 15" sub for greatly improved bass over the T2s for below 20hz, although that was overkill except for perhaps the true baseheads out there. All of this room shaking for movies, along with the SuperCenter XL in the mix and I never had any issue with distortion from the tubes. Considering I had two triton subs running and a 15" hitting with authority to 12 hz and I had no issues, I think you will be just fine and will enjoy adding HT in the future! :)

I'm very curious about the DirectStream DAC and, again, I'm super jealous that you got to hear these things together (Ahhh! It's not fair!!). For my budget at the time, I checked out the Schitt Yggdrasil and the Electrocompaniet ECD 2 DACs to go with the T2s and went with the latter. These are both in the $2,300 range and performed fantastic for that price point. Can you say anything about how the DirectStream compared to the Jr version or any other DACs you may have heard?

I wonder how much better it may be than the Electro I have now and what the real differences may be in SQ between the Jr and and the full. Psaudio says they made it their goal to shave off expenses in cosmetics primarily, but there is still the issue of the improved PSU, which is no small matter in DACs.

Sandy apparently favors the Directstream, so I wonder what he would have to say about the SQ differences of the DACS I've mentioned.. Hmm.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back