file Question about toe-in

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
T Cobe Posted 8 years 11 months ago
Sayersweb,

I'm glad the setup went smooth with your Sister's system. Room correction can be iffy. Regarding the Aon 3s, I mounted them to the wall directly with a screw. A heavy duty drywall anchor would work well too. I'm considering building a small shelf for them later that is a little more decorative. There are a lot of options and they sound great whichever way you go.

I would look at some sort of metal grate to put over the SCXL. You could also put it into an AV cabinet. I would go with some sort of grill to let the speaker breath but others have reported no issues with putting it in a cabinet. Let us know how your audition goes.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, sayersweb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• sayersweb's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 22
sayersweb Posted 8 years 10 months ago
Some follow-up on the toe-in question....

After setting up my sister's new Marantz SR-7008 using Audyssey, I found the sound of the system to be dull, lifeless, lacking dynamic range. Today I decided to start over, reset everything, and do it manually. We got the tape measure and SPL meter out and did measurements. Set the crossovers manually, and confirmed all Audyssey adjustments were turned off. Funny, the subwoofer had been turned down too far.by Audyssey, it needed to be increased quite a bit. Also, the Rear speakers had been set too low and the center was too high with Audysseyl

Just doing that made a significant difference in sound. We started to watch Michael Jackson - "This IS IT" and it sounded quite good. Then, I leaned forward and it sounded a lot better. I had my sister confirm, and we tried it several times. Moving the couch closer was not possible, so I reduced the toe-in of the Sevens and that helped, but when we leaned forward it still sounded better. Slowly I kept reducing toe-in until leaning forward no longer improved the sound.

After thinking about it... I realized that the Sevens are closer to each other than the sitting position is to either of them. The Sevens could not be moved further apart due to room constraints, but the stereo image could be improved by decreasing the toe-in.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 10 months ago
Good for you Sayersweb,
You are doing it the right way, dial it in by ear. One question, if you cannot move the couch forward (what I would normally recommend), can you move the speakers out into the room a little more? Normally that is very effective for sound, but may not be liked by your sister.
Hang in there, and have fun with it, happy listening for your sister,
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers Question about toe-in