file Receiver for Triton 2

• YaHeard's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 0
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
YaHeard Posted 10 years 9 months ago
Last edit: 10 years 9 months ago by YaHeard. info_outline
Hi Everyone,

I'm am a complete novice when it comes to sound system. But after doing some research, I've narrow my choices to the Triton 2 or SVS Ultra Towers.

I'm leaning more to the Triton 2 as I will purchase a system in the next few weeks. But, I'm a little confused on the response rate right now. I don't know which receiver will best take advantage of the Triton two. I'm thinking about Marantz SR7008, Yamaha RX-A203 or Elite Sc-79.

All of the above receiver has a response rate of 20 Hz – 20 kHz; but the Triton 2 have a response rate of 16 Hz - 35 kHz.

I'm just another hardworking person and $5,000 for two towers and a receiver is a lot of money (at least for me).

My goal is to:
:woohoo: Get the most out of my money
:woohoo: Get down to that 16Hz would be optimal for me. That way I wont have to buy a woofer for now.
:woohoo: Wont have to upgrade for at least 5 years.

Any of you used the above receivers with the Triton Two?
Will the 4Hz make any difference?
Which receiver is best?

Any feedback would definitely help.

Thanks in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 10 years 9 months ago
Last edit: 10 years 9 months ago by WayneWilmeth. Reason: can't type info_outline
Hi YaHeard and welcome to the GoldenEar Forum!!! I think you will like it here, and I KNOW you will love the Triton 2s if you get them.
Why do I want to say YeeHaw when I see your name?
Sorry, off track.
You said you are a novice, but it looks to me like you are really on the right road. The Triton 2s will be awesome, and your short list of receivers looks very well informed indeed.
I have not heard the T2s with any of these receivers, so take what I say with a grain of salt. But I use a Marantz AV-7005 and I would recommend Marantz. The SR7008 looks great.
On paper, the Pioneer Elite SC-79 looks better. BUT, you cannot set the crossover points of the different speakers in a surround system at different points. This would be a big hindrance to me.
The Yamaha 2030 looks fine too. I would put them in that order, Marantz, Pioneer and then Yamaha.
As to your main question, I saw where the Elite does 20-20 as you mentioned. I found that the Yamaha says 20 - 20 too. BUT my go to choice, the Marantz states it plays 10 Hz to 100 kHz (+/- 3dB).
us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pages/Product...ers&ProductId=SR7008
Now, I am not saying that any of this matters at all, I am not sure it does. But the Marantz will play the bottom you want to be sure and hear, and it is very easy to set up. Most of all, IMHO, Marantz has a warm/neutral sound, very pleasing sound and it is a no-brainer in terms of reliability, dependable as all heck, IF it is like any other piece of Marantz equipment I have owned. It just disappears into the background of good music.
That is my take anyway, and I hope it helps.
Whatever you decide, be sure and ENJOY, it is all about the music!!!!!
God Bless, and welcome to our forum, please stay in touch and tell us what you decide and how you get on.
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 10 years 9 months ago
Thanks for your interest in the Triton Two. We have used the Marantz and the Pioneer and can recommend them both highly. There is no "best", as you will see by the wide variety of electronics owned by forum members. Your GoldenEar dealer's suggestion for a matching receiver for your needs (budget and application) is the best starting point.

We also recommend that you do not pay any attention to the specs as they are meaningless in terms of any valid comparison for decision making. And the specs you were mentioning are not relevant (one of the reasons to not use specs as confusion is much more likely than enlightenment).

• mcryderman's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 0
mcryderman Posted 10 years 6 months ago
I am also looking at purchasing the Triton 2's and I am looking for an amp to go with them. I will be using a Mac mini with iTunes and pure music with apple lossless or AIFF files ripped from original cd's. I will get into some hih res stuff at some point. This is for two channel listening only in a room that is 12ft by 24ft with a vaulted ceiling. I am considering numerous amps or receivers. My budget is hopefully under 2k for the amp setup. I listen to rock, pop, and folk mostly. From pearl jam, imagine dragons, ed Sheeran, fleetwood mac, Ben Harper, Sara harmer, etc. I like to listen to it loud when home alone but lots of mid volume listening too.

I am considering the following:
Emotiva xpa2 power amp with emotiva DC-1stealth preamp and dac- $1800 delivered to canada
NAD 390 digital amp with dac- retail 2600 can get for 2200
Rotel power amp and pre- under 2000 or rotel integrated for 1400
Wyred for sound? 2000-2500
Marantz integrated and some solid dac to go with it

I am most afraid of not having good synergy and having the sound too bright. I wand smooth, neutral sound. I hear mixed opinions that one dealer of the tritons said they do best with tons of power and that the wyred for sound is awesome. Others say a modestly powered marantz would do well.

Any thought would be welcomed

Mark

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 10 years 6 months ago
We do not have experience with all those choices although I can tell you all would be good with the Tritons and none would make them sound bright (not a complaint you'll hear given the very smooth ribbon tweeter). The comment about lots of power is clearly uninformed as they work very well with modest power, thanks to their high efficiency and built in powered low frequencies section. When in doubt, quality over quantity for the Triton Twos.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 10 years 6 months ago
Hi Mcryderman,
I just want to second what the Moderator Dude said.
You don't need that much power to get the T2s to play loud enough, though I think they do respond to having plenty of headroom.
The main point is to give them the BEST Quality signal you can. The cleanest. They will faithfully reproduce what is sent to them, so if you have an overly bright recording, it won't screech at you through the T2s, but it will sound overly bright.
I have and am trying lots of amps right now, and though I can hear some differences, they are pretty slight. Get the best signal you can get from the source first, then I would go with a pre-amp/amp combination if your budget permits. You have mentioned a couple of well respected ones there. (Some people here have a lot of respect for Emotiva, I have had pretty good results with Marantz, NAD is well respected). IMHO separates are better than receivers for a couple of reasons, but perhaps the best reason is they can be upgraded easier. IF you go for a receiver, give a listen to a tubed one if you can, you can get some really great sounding ones.
Whatever you get, I am sure you will have great sound.
The Triton 2s are an awesome speaker, they will give you great sound.
Let us know what you choose and how it works out for you.
and ENJOY, that is what this is all about.
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers Receiver for Triton 2