file onkyo receiver with a stereo amp vs a NAD 757

• kagi's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 2
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
kagi Posted 10 years 10 months ago
Folks,
I'm going to purchase my first set of serious audio equipment, so I have no existing amps/pre.s/etc. I know I want the Triton Sevens as my apartment is not too huge and I prefer a standalone sub (someday). I'm starting off with just 2 speakers and would like to expand them with time. For the receiver, I was considering an Onkyo NR717 which has pre-outs but then the NAD (or even Integra) sounds so much sweeter. However, aside from the cost of the NAD, these receivers dont have all the wireless shenanigans I would like.

So, the question is can I get the onkyo and get a real sweet stereo or even a multi channel amp. Would it in anyway degrade the sound?(using the onkyo as a pre, that is)

Any advice on selecting the right receiver would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 10 years 10 months ago
Kagi:

Forget about the Onkyo receiver, I don't think it will meet your needs. The Nad is a contender and could be supercharged with an additional amp. You may also consider an Anthem MRX-510. Another site to check out is emotiva.com. You could pick up the xpa-5 Gen 2 ($899.00) 200 watts RMS @ 8 ohm (5 channels) and pair it with a XSP-1 Differential Reference Preamp ($799.00)

Decisions, decisions, decisions....ain't life grand.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 10 years 10 months ago
Hello and welcome Kagi,
First of all, you have selected some really great speakers to build your system with, and a separate sub later will work out really great for you.
I know all too well about building a system on a budget. It can be tough and restricting, but it is also fun, an adventure, a challenge.
Enjoy!!!!!
I have to second what Anthem said against the Onkyo. It seems that you have good musical sensibilities in that you can hear the difference and the Onkyo does not sound as sweet to you. In that case, DON'T get something that does not sound good to you. Even if you have to do what I have done many times, and buy something used (try Audiogon, check on the net, or even visit a few pawn shops if you want to really walk on the dark side--I picked up a QUAD pre-amp and amp combo once for probably less than you will pay for that Onkyo).
At every step, audition in person IF you can, and trust your ears. You can hear the difference.
I am sure you will build a really great sounding system, and if so, please stay with us and report in, let us know what you do, what you find and how it sounds.
Have fun, God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kagi

• kagi's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 2
kagi Posted 10 years 10 months ago
Wow, did not expect such quick and informative responses.

Anthem: the emotiva is really interesting looking with their pre/amp combo. Will need to find a dealer nearby to hear them out. Thanks
Wayne: had not considered the used-goods route. I'm definitely open to it, and thanks for the reality check :laugh:

Will keep you guys posted. Hopefully should have the goods around thanksgiving.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Yeah Kagi,
There are some folks that are getting rid of GREAT stuff, moving up to the REALLY GREAT and WAY more expensive stuff. Sometimes they sell the great stuff pretty cheap.
And you are just starting, you may be surprised what you will find used. Or not. You never know.
There is definitely a law of diminishing returns at work Big Time in audio. But, usually, if gear is priced more high than your entry receivers, it is usually worth it. Not always, but usually.
If you can get a good deal on separates, pre-amp and amp, or a great integrated amp (try tubes, you will love them), then that is the way to go, better than a receiver. IMHO.
But enjoy the ride, and yes, PLEASE keep us updated.
This is all about fun.
God Bless,
Wayne

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Oh, and........ (won't this guy ever shut up?????)
Be sure and get a good, high quality source. A GOOD CD player or something.
I use an Oppo blu ray, which will play awesome blu ray, 3D movies, and sounds great on CDs, DVDs, DVD-Audio, and SACDs and can play your file based hi def stuff too. It can do it all.
OK,
I will hush,
Blessings,
Wayne

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Towers onkyo receiver with a stereo amp vs a NAD 757