file Where is the Bass??

• ullahw2920's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 8
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
ullahw2920 Posted 8 years 3 months ago
Hi Folks,

I am sure I am not the first one to face this. If any of you have already been through my stage and have resolved the issue, please share your experience. Here's what I am facing........I feel that I am not getting enough bass especially with 2 channel music. With movies, it's not terrible but more is expected out of the equipment. I have tried many different ways to correct this - a) set up Tritons with LFE connections & external subwoofer out of picture and tritons as small; b) Tritons without LFE connection and external sub connected; c) Tritons without LFE and external sun in and Tritons as full-range; d) moved the Tritons to different spots. Movie watching is now somewhat acceptable from bass point of view. But 2 channel music is just not what one would expect from this kind of equipment. I have played some bass-heavy music but just doesn't seem to get the kind of bass I get on other systems or even in my car's high-end audio gear. Any thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Wahid Ullah
Front: 2 x Triton 2+
Center: Super Center XXL
Surround: 2 x Super Sat 3
Height (Dolby Atmos): 4 x HTR 7000
Sub: Force Field 4
Amps: McIntosh MC452 (powering the Tritons) & MC207 (powering the remaining speakers)
Pre-amp: Marantz 8802A
Source: Oppo 105D
Display: Samsung UN65JS8500
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 8 years 3 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by Moderator. info_outline
Hi,

Welcome to the forum. You are probably going to hear from many that if your Triton Twos don't have enough bass, you've got something setup wrong. Why not start here and re-do all your setup according to this: www.goldenear.com/support/setup-tips . At least then you should be in at the right starting point to troubleshoot further.

Couple things to note:

1) Make sure both Triton subs are playing;
2) Never set the Triton Two to "Small";
3) Turn off/undo any auto setup or EQ, dynamic volume, etc., before re-doing manual setup;

You failed to mention your source for music, but whatever it is, make sure it is sending a full range and full fidelity signal.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe, ullahw2920

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 8 years 3 months ago
The T2's set up with speaker wire only, should blow you away with absolutely wicked bass.
My T2's set to the 9-10 O'clock position, is all I can handle, especially at high volumes.

In a 2-Channel Stereo-only Setup: Connect each speaker with speaker-wire (and power cord) only. Precision circuitry in the Tritons' electronics takes this speaker wire signal and feeds it to the built=in powered subwoofer. Make sure that your electronics are set for full range playback (no high pass crossover engaged).
In a Multi-channel (Home Theater and Music) Setup: We have found we get better results when we run LFE cables to the Tritons (LFE is the ".1" part of the 5.1, etc., format and contains the movies' bass effects). When you run separate LFE cables (use a "Y" splitter if your receiver only has one LFE output) you can then control the LFE output separately from the receiver/processor and raise the level, if desired, rather than have the fixed level when you hook up with just speaker wires. Bass management settings of Left and Right Main = LARGE (absolutely not Small), Sub = Yes, with separate LFE cables run to each Triton, delivers the best performance (more extended and/or higher levels of LFE bass information) with most receivers/processors. Set the sub level on the back of the Tritons with 2-channel music material, and then set the LFE level on your receiver/processor to taste. (You CAN also hook them up with only speaker wire and set the processor for Large Left and Right and Sub = No. This will still yield good results, but may not be as good as using the setup with separate LFE input in addition).
Using Additional Separate Subwoofer(s): Although all these Tritons have built-in powered subwoofers for superb performance without the addition of a separate subwoofer, bass is sort of like horsepower, and for some listeners, the more the merrier. So you can certainly add an additional subwoofer or two if you like. Normally, you would hook only the outboard sub(s) to the LFE channel of your receiver/processor, still setting as Left and Right Main = LARGE and Sub = YES, thus directing all LFE bass only to the outboard sub(s). Another interesting option is to run the receiver's/processor's LFE-out into both the Tritons as well as your additional subwoofer(s), splitting the LFE-out(s) as necessary to achieve three (or more). This will give you, in effect, 3 (or more) LFE subwoofers, which can be quite impactful, as well as giving you smoother LFE coverage throughout your room. To get the LFE level balanced properly between your additional subwoofer and the Tritons, the key is to take full advantage of your additional subwoofer's capabilities while keeping the LFE level being sent to the Tritons appropriate. Normally, you would have the additional subwoofer(s) playing louder than the Tritons on an LFE signal, using the additional sub's level control(s) to achieve this.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 8 years 3 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
Hi, ullahw2920

As usual, Moderator Dude and Anthem have given you great suggestions.

I noticed in your "a" set-up, you had the T2+'sset as small, no LFE, so in 2.0 mode the bass bass probably had nowhere to go. With powered Tritons, the best setting is large. (wherever your crossover setting was for the T2+'s, anything under that crossover probably couldn't find a speaker to play it).

I don't see a set-up option you tried with BOTH the T2+'s set as large, AND LFE connected to the Tritons. I've found that not all receivers send full bass to fronts set as large (not just LFE, but maybe in rare cases, some roll-off of 2.0 bass as well)), unless there is also an LFE connection. I know this is some controversial, but in my case, adding LFE/sub on connections and leaving, at the time, my T2's set as large, fundamentally improved the bass I was hearing in BOTH 2.0 and 5.1 formats. (See my NAD driving T2 Cinema System" thread if you want to see more details on what I experienced).

I would suggest trying the T2+'s set as large in all cases, and the LFE/sub on in all cases, and see what that does for bringing out the bass. The T2's DO have bass to spare! Receivers seem to be getting more complex and varied in how they handle bass management.

Happy listening! Once you get the bass sorted out, I'm sure you'll love those speakers!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, T Cobe, ullahw2920

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
ArthurDaniels Posted 8 years 3 months ago
One additional suggestion: Search the WEB for musical test tones. There are sites with test tones which can be downloaded without cost. Once you have these test tones, you can play them through your system and listen to the effect on the bass tones as you try out different settings combinations. Listening to a 40Hz tone is much more efficient than playing bass-heavy music to evaluate your setup.

Best,

Art

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 3 months ago
Wahid,

You certainly received some great advice by all parties on this one. I have nothing to add but was curious if you were able to sort things out and if so, how? Great looking setup, by the way! Thanks for sharing a picture of your space with us. Please let us know how things are going.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, ullahw2920

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back