file New 2 channel system

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
ArthurDaniels Posted 9 years 1 month ago
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by ArthurDaniels. Reason: correct English info_outline

chcmuzza wrote: Hi Arthur

No, no separate bass connection, and yes, I run directly from the analogue outputs of a Perreaux power amp to the T1's. As mentioned this is a 2x channel music system and philosophically I like a simple signal path.

I did agonise over the powered woofers, but remembered the Meridian M2 active systems from all those years ago and how good they sounded.

No regrets on this approach so far :-).

Cheers

Hello chcmuzza,

My Triton Ones have revealed previously-unheard musical details in a number of my CDs. My Onkyo AV Receiver has two sub out connectors, so I have been able to connect them to the sub inputs on both of my Ones. I listen in the Pure Direct mode and, in that mode, my Onkyo provides the option to send analog bass signals directly to my Ones via the sub connections. I find this approach most pleasing so far as bass is concerned.

Enjoy your Ones and enjoy re-discovering your musical collection.

Best,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 1 month ago
Hey Chcmuzza,
I have only ever spent any time in New Plymouth, in the Taranaki region--soooo beautiful!!!!

I would not think you would have any regrets on your system choices!!!
I would LOVE to hear your set up, and I bet it just gets better when you move houses and get a proper listening room.
I appreciate the explanation (you did not have to) and will cut you some slack then on the curtains, ha ha.
Seriously, for two-channel, that equipment you have should sound really awesome!!!!!
Wish you all the best and happy listening.
God Bless, Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Splash51, T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 9 years 1 month ago
Chcmuzza,

I bet your system sounds fantastic as is and I would definitely not want to cover those windows as long as you have the view! In terms of hook up and settings, I have tried using the LFE in for 2.1 stereo listening but found that the bass, while more powerful, was not as tight or "musical". Additionally, I had to turn the gain down so far that I would have to completely change my settings for home theater use.

I'll admit that there seemed to be more clarity and power in the mids and highs when I added the LFE connection for 2 channel. Almost like my system was working a little hard to drive the T1s. I can certainly see where Art would prefer this setup. I still do not fully understand the internal workings of the T1s. I'm hoping the sound will improve even more once I have a dedicated monoblock amp hooked up to each tower. Until that time, I use my speaker level inputs and have my speakers set to full or large. My gain dial is at about the 13:00 position due to my large room and acoustic treatments. With these settings, I have perfect bass for 2-channel and theater with no tweaking between formats and the sound is fantastic.

Anyways, thank you for the follow up posts. Happy listening!

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
When I compare the listening results reported by T. Cobe from his setup experiments with the listening results I have experienced from my setup experiments, I must conclude that there are significant differences in the way audio is processed by different AV Receivers and by other means such as dedicated amplifiers, etc. For example, T. Cobe reports "significant movie LFE bass loss" when he drives his Triton One LFE inputs with "analog bass" because he has the Triton Ones' LFE gain control reduced to minimum or near minimum. I have not had this experience with my setup - I have plenty of LFE movie bass with my Triton One LFE controls set to minimum or near minimum for best analog bass sound.

If my conclusion about different gear is correct, then the only way for each of us to determine "best sound" is to: (1) thoroughly understand how our gear operates and how different setup options perform and (2) experiment with all available setup combinations to find the personal best choice. One other thought: musical preferences are probably important in this process - for example, a perfect setup for rock music might not be perfect for chamber music.

Enjoy the journey.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, Splash51, T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 9 years 1 month ago
Absolutely right, Art. While I believe our Onkyo and Integra receivers are probably similar, we have different rooms, different supporting equipment, and most likely different listening preferences. I think what we can agree on is that the Tritons are fantastic: no matter what your preferences are. The flexibility in set up options really offers a solution for just about anyone.

Based on our prior conversations, I did try your set up with the T1s for stereo listening and just found the subwoofer too hot when using the LFE inputs. What I found interesting was how using the LFE for everything under 100 Hz seemed to change the sound of the mid and high frequencies. Have you noticed any changes above your sub frequencies with your set up? Thanks, Art.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

T Cobe wrote: Absolutely right, Art. While I believe our Onkyo and Integra receivers are probably similar, we have different rooms, different supporting equipment, and most likely different listening preferences. I think what we can agree on is that the Tritons are fantastic: no matter what your preferences are. The flexibility in set up options really offers a solution for just about anyone.

Based on our prior conversations, I did try your set up with the T1s for stereo listening and just found the subwoofer too hot when using the LFE inputs. What I found interesting was how using the LFE for everything under 100 Hz seemed to change the sound of the mid and high frequencies. Have you noticed any changes above your sub frequencies with your set up? Thanks, Art.

Cheers,

T Cobe

Yes, I believe that using the Triton One LFE Inputs for both "analog bass" and multi-channel LFE signals and setting the Triton Ones to other than Full Range does affect the mid and high frequency sounds from the Triton Ones - especially the mid-range sounds. Accordingly, I currently have my Triton Ones set for 80 Hz crossover and my LFE crossover set to 80 Hz. I think these settings also improve the analog bass sounds I am hearing from my Triton Ones. I listen mostly to classical music, along with some traditional jazz from time to time. Much of my classical listening is choral music so the mid-range and treble sounds are important to me. I listen at what I define as normal room volume, but I suspect that my volume level is a good bit lower than many other listeners - perhaps accounting for my satisfaction with using the Triton LFE inputs for analog bass. My room is not overly large (about 16 x 24) and contains a lot of soft-covered furniture as well as a large rug over a tile floor. I sit about 9 feet from my Triton Ones.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back