file USB "Audiophile" cables for Triton ones

• Winefix's Avatar Offline school
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
    • Thank you received: 70
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Winefix Posted 9 years 5 months ago
I am still on the fence on whether to purchase an "audiophile" USB cable from my Apple camera connection kit to my Peachtree Nova Pre dac (24/192 Async.) sounds pretty darn good, but sometimes there is some harshness and not sure if its the digital factor?
Everything else is perfect, room is treated, room set up, etc..
I am a custom high end theater installer, but new to the digital end of using USB cables, and dont want to upsell my customers snake oil.

I can definetly hear differences, albeit subtle in analog cables, but spending $250 on a USB cable sets of my BS alarm.
Any GE users out there with some thoughts? A/B USB cable comparison winners that were repeatable evey single time blind?

Moderator, any thoughts on what y'all have seen with your show set ups?

Thanks gang for your thoughts

TJ
Good times, good wine, and great music !!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 9 years 5 months ago
Use the force, Luke. Trust your instincts! If it's USB and transmitting 1s and 0s... There are a number of articles on the Internet on this topic. Go to trusted sources not trying to sell you a $20 cable for $250. That said, I'd get a decent USB. There is probably some benefits to buying a better built and more durable cable versus using a cheap wire that came with a purchase of a camera. We've probably all experienced cheaply built wires that had connectivity issues. I'm sure anyone that has spent $250 on an audiophile USB will present a different opinion. I'd like to have a double blind experiment prove these are better. IMHO, this money would be better spent elsewhere.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 9 years 5 months ago
Yep, that's a tough one. A quality cable from an audio cables company is always a good idea, I think the cable we used at our last show demo was from Audioquest and was maybe a $50 cable? Beyond that, we'll let others chime in with their experiences. Much more likely the harshness is in the recording and your speakers are happily passing that sound on for you to hear.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• Winefix's Avatar Offline school
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
    • Thank you received: 70
Winefix Posted 9 years 5 months ago
Update,

Just listened extensively with a $2 USB cable from my printer and Audioquest Carbon which is a couple of hundred bucks.
Same songs over and over and had someone switch the cables.

Zero difference. Not a chance that the expensive USB cable makes the slightest difference.

If there was even the slightest difference the Triton ones would have shown it, and thus I recommend saving money and going with a dirt cheap USB into your dac.

Experiment over, now I can get back to listening to some Blues !!
Good times, good wine, and great music !!

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 9 years 5 months ago
I might suggest you post a question on Audioquest's forum (do they have one?) about this listening experience. I am sure their reply and suggestions (if any) would be interesting to the members here. (BTW, they know our speakers quite well.)

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 9 years 5 months ago
Winefix,

I had no doubts that your tests would yield these results. While I think a well made and attractive USB cable for $50 to $100 may make sense for an industry professional that is regularly setting up and taking down critical product showcases at trade events, the rest of us can probably get by with a $10 to $20 cable. I praise your efforts in protecting your customers from needless expenditures!

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Clubhouse Show Off Your GoldenEar System USB "Audiophile" cables for Triton ones