file Music I enjoy and recommend

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
WayneWilmeth Posted 7 years 1 month ago
Pls tell Juanita that I hear her, know exactly where she is coming from!!!!
Ha ha
Funny post Bro Anthem!!!!
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hello guys,
let me report on some music. Everyone is reporting on the latest and greatest GEt speaker (and good for you), but some of us are still listening to music and loving it on perhaps lesser speakers. AND not feeling the pinch at all, I might add.
I love my Ones, thank you very much!!!!
I did not have Wagner's Prelude to Act 1 Lohengrin on any disc that I could find, and it is a particularly stunning piece of music to me, important memories to me, and I wanted a good copy. I got a lot of the other Wagner recently and reported on that Pentone disc, you may remember, and it sounds a little better than this one. But I got The Berlin Radio Symphony Orchestra with Janowski conducting a 2 SACD set of these monster Wagner pieces. These are most of the notable music you will find from Wagner WITHOUT the fat lady singing, which I don't care for.
It sounds really great in surround sound, and I made a 2 channel copy for my walking/listening pleasure. The sound comes out of silence, a totally black background, if I recall, and has a lot of dynamic range, from very quiet to very loud. So much so that I have to listen at a lesser volume to the quieter bits than I want to because it is gonna get LOUDDDDD.
I recommend this 2 disc set, as fine sound, no performance quirks, they play the music totally straight, just the way you have always heard it and love it. The only negative I have is a small one, it just sounds a little dry and lifeless, a little mailed in, not quite the JOY that this music should be played with IMHO. Just my take. YMMV.
The other two discs I will report on here were recommended here on the forum, the LSO playing the music of Pink Floyd, and an orchestral take on Led Zepplin as well.
Errrrrr, hummmmmmm.
I don't care for these discs much at all. The sound is FINE. They try to re-create some of the artistry of PF and the Zep by doing some sound effects and such, NOT NEEDED, just play the tunes, IMHO. And the tunes are interpreted a little strangely, they don't seem to get to the heart of the tune, the meat of the matter very well, or often enough, don't just play the durn songs.
These are timeless pieces, Hall of Fame music, and it just falls flat to me. I mean, if you can't crank out, get down, even with an orchestra to Stairway to Heaven, then what are we doing here????
Again, YMMV.
Just not my cuppa tea.
God Bless,
Wayne
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, rjohn79395

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by WayneWilmeth. Reason: More info_outline

I put Daniel Hope "Spheres" on to play on the living room system, just a small, sweet system with an Oppo 83 playing through a Triode integrated tube amp (KT 88s) to my lovely little Triton 7s.
We sip an aperitif before dinner, we sit down and give thanks to a kind father that provides everything we need, pour a glass of Chablis, or Pinot Noir, enjoy a salad, have a lovely plate of pasta followed by veal scallopini, some fruit or melon with a cheese plate for desert. A snifter of good Cognac while we listen to the rest of the music, heavenly.
We enjoy the music and talk about how the day went, how was school, etc.
All very civilized and lovely.
God Bless,
Wayne
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, anthem, rjohn79395

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

IF you believe the above previous post cultured life ^^^description then I want to sell you some farm land in Florida.
I live where the neighbor's dog sleeps in the road and won't move for nobody.
Nobody in my house will listen to my music AT ALL, unless it is Coldplay or Elbow or such on the car player sometimes.
So I have to listen in the home theater, late at night, or on phones.
We don't drink alcohol, so it is iced tea, before, during and after a meal.
Salad and tacos or pizza when I am lucky, the girls eat Thai food that would burn most of us up!!!!! I try it but can only eat a little.
We do give thanks, we do chat about school, etc. but there is far too much checking of the phones during dinner as well.
And yes, Bro Anthem, that cover of a Paul Simon song, by Crooked Still just might have a banjo playing in there somewhere.
God Bless from the real world,
Wayne
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, anthem, rjohn79395

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 7 years 1 month ago
Aw, gee, Wayne

I was all ready to buy into an idyllic evening at the Wilmeth household.... classy music, candlelight dinner, genteel conversation....:) our version of that scene tonight will be leftovers after the family, grandkids, and other relatives have gone home and we're cleaning up and winding down from kid's games etc. :)

Re who listens/watches what in our household, when it comes to action movies, I'm on my own unless a neighbor or two want to join in. Not Judy's cup of tea (she likes comedies/romances with happy endings). Re who listens to what music, I have "Judy playlists" of happy, foot tappin' stuff. Other music genres, I'm on my own. We do both love softly played dinner music when we have guests.

Coming back to TX 9/6, ready to get the new gear installed and ready to quench my GEt withdrawal symptoms!!

Happy listening!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Sonny Landreth "Levee Town" 2 CD set. John Hiatt helps out on this song. Jennifer Warnes and Bonnie Raitt elsewhere.
"Laissez les bon temps rouler"!!!!

God Bless,
Wayne
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, anthem

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics Music, Home Theater, Gaming Music I enjoy and recommend