• anthem's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
anthem Posted 6 years 2 months ago
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by anthem. info_outline

Chris Standring/Don't Talk, Dance (2013) -- Another Fine Mess

Wayne: Great options. 8 hours in and i developed a slight problem yesterday. I wanted to hear how she sounded in balanced mode, so hooked her up and listened...sounded very good. When i flipped the switch on the back of the MC152 for rca mode i noticed the volume decreased by 50%. I changed cables, pc's, retubed the entire preamp, used detoxit, swapped cd players, tried this that and the other. This morning i was listening to the Anthem D2v in balanced mode and also had the Primaluna on. When i switched to the Primaluna i noticed the volume had increased, so shut off the D2v, and wouldn't you know, the volume decreased. Long story short, i pulled the xlr cords off the MC152, hit play...I'm back in business. I don't understand why i can't have both rca and xlr connected at the same time...I've used the Anthem Statement P2 Amp for many years with this same scenario of both rca and xlr attached at the same time. After all this wasted time i feel like I'm back on first base. Time for a Homerun!
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 6 years 2 months ago
Thanks for the update Bro Anthem, sorry for the small setback or delay.
I am used to a little less volume with single ended, RCAs compared to balanced, XLRs. But it should not be that much, anyway, I guess you found out that the Mc doesn't like having both connected at the same time.
But other than that??????
We await your considered comments and revelation.
Happy listening,
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, rjohn79395

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 6 years 2 months ago
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by Moderator. info_outline

anthem wrote: I don't understand why i can't have both rca and xlr connected at the same time...I've used the Anthem Statement P2 Amp for many years with this same scenario of both rca and xlr attached at the same time.

I believe the Anthem Statement P2 has a switch for selecting XLR or RCA inputs.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Moderator:
The McIntosh MC152 also has a switch. There lies the problem. Care to explain what's happening?
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Moon Hooch/Moon Hooch (2013) -- Tubes

Insane sound this afternoon. The mc152 grabs this cd by the Family Jewels and doesn't let go. The mc152 has a vise-like grip on all that's thrown at it...control, control. Music comes across with complete clarity. Slammin bass, great instrument seperation and sweet highs. What else could i want? Listening today at 90-103 dbs. It makes no difference how loud it's cranked, the mc152 belts it out and the T Refs deliver. The mc152 seems to prefer the AntiCable Reference 3 on the Oppo 205...has a better grip on the music. I'll experiment with the Audience pc and eventually find it a home. The mc152 is simply an Outstanding amp. I believe it will serve me well for many years to come.

The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 6 years 2 months ago
Great report, Anthem!!

I'm glad the mc 152 is delivering the goods for you!!! What PC are you using on it? Interesting how changing gear, and the PC's used on the different pieces in the audio chain can affect, fine tune what we hear. Makes me want to try my new Audience Forte on various pieces of gear, see what combo of Nordost, Audience, AntiCable sounds best on what piece in the chain.

Have fun!!! Keep us posted on what PC works best where for you, and your new mc 152!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back