file Yet Another Triton One LFE Experiment

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
ArthurDaniels Posted 5 years 3 months ago
Hi Rick,

Yes, you are correct regarding what we hear versus what is actually happening. However, I believe almost all of us perceive less bass relative to other frequencies at lower volumes.

We continue to down-size in preparation for the move. It is a large project. We probably won't move until March.

Best,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I have music in my digitized files which originates from a number of sources, ranging from full DDD recordings to professional remasters of all sorts of analog recordings to my own digital transfers of my LPs. Listening to this wide range of recordings, I have noticed a marked variation of loudness levels and bass response.

When listening at low overall volume levels, I have used my Chase Line-Level Controller which is connected to my Triton Ones' LFE inputs, to compensate for these variations in bass response. The Chase Unit has both overall level and bass level controls.

As I have previously reported in this thread, I am very pleased with this arrangement. Because I have enjoyed using this capability, I am now wondering how much fun it would be to have the capability to remotely adjust the Triton One's LFE controls to effect similar compensations without the need to connect another device to the LFE inputs.

Have any of you Triton folks ever wished that you could vary the LFE levels to fine tune the bass response for different recordings?

I wonder what Sandy and the GE Folks think about providing a remote LFE capability.

Happy Listening,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, anthem, rjohn79395

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I'm surprised and a little bit disappointed that nobody has commented upon my "variable LFE Control" idea.

Am I the only one potentially interested in such a capability?

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 5 years 3 months ago
No Art, you're not the only one interested in "Variable LFE Control"...there's many a time I could and would use such a feature. Songs within certain recordings can sound so different...To much bass, not enough bass, etc. Having my T Refs subwoofer controlled via a smartphone...HEAVEN.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hi Anthem,

I agree. Because I have the use of my Chase Line Controller, including remote volume and bass level controls, I have the option of either controlling a separate sub, or controlling my Ones' LFE levels by implementing the much-maligned double-bass approach. But, it is not a perfect solution because I turn the Chase unit off when I listen at normal room volume.

When I use the Chase unit to control a separate sub (in my case a 15 inch Paradigm which has very deep bass), I find the result somewhat unsatisfactory because the Paradigm produces a less "musical" bass sound than my Ones. And, I don't think the two bass sounds blend very well for music.

Adding remote LFE control to the Triton Series does not seem to me to be much of a change, but perhaps I do not understand the issue.

I am going to widen my present experiment by reducing my Ones' LFE controls to 9:00 or below, then use the Chase unit to control the secondary LFE line-level input during listening at all volume levels. I will report results.

Happy Listening,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3416
Moderator Posted 5 years 3 months ago
If I'm reading this correctly, shouldn't you be able to control LFE level from your AVR's remote? Or are you describing something volume dependent?

If I recall correctly, the Chase unit used a highly specialized and high quality chip amp that was originally designed for car audio use (pop the lid and google the chip'd ID for information). I believe it has some amount of variable bass boost that operates pretty much like a non-defeatable loudness control.

This would be a large undertaking, especially if you add in WiFi and app control. An interesting idea, though.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics DIY, Mods and Tweaks Yet Another Triton One LFE Experiment