file Yet Another Triton One LFE Experiment

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
ArthurDaniels Posted 5 years 4 months ago
Hi Gang,

After a lengthy absence, I am returning to the Forum with the report upon yet another Triton One LFE Experiment. To set the stage, I have been long interested in finding ways to add bass response when listening at low volume levels - as many of you know from my previous posts.

Just before nodding off to dreamland the other night, I had an inspiration for another experiment. I am fortunate to be in possession of a Chase Electronics RLC-1 Audio line level preamp and controller. This device, no longer manufactured, has stereo line-level inputs and line level outputs, coupled with audio-grade electronics and a remote control. Variable adjustments include volume, bass, treble and balance controls, as well as some other controls, all available on the remote.

My inspiration: Connect the line level output from my Cambridge 851A Stereo Amp to one of the line-level inputs on the RLC-1. Then, connect the line level L/R outputs from the RLC-1 to the LFE inputs on my Triton Ones. With this setup, I can add bass directly to the LFE inputs (Double Bass) at low volume level listening, while retaining the ability to turn the RLC-1 unit off when listening at normal room volume.

The results have been quite pleasing. Because I can adjust both the Bass level and the overall Volume level on the RLC-1, I can subtly augment the bass when listening at low volume levels. I can add just a bit of bass when listening to symphonic music, or I can add a little extra bass "thump" when listening to jazz - both at low room volume levels.

I cannot overemphasize the word "subtle" when adding bass because the Triton Ones provide very adequate natural bass at room volume levels with just speaker connections from my Cambridge stereo amp. I use this sound as my guide to augmenting bass at low volume levels - adding just enough to bring the bass to life without over-emphasis.

I am still learning how to vary the bass and volume levels on the RLC-1 to provide proper augmentation at low levels for various types of music and for various recordings.

This approach is superior to my previous use of the RLC-1 in combination with my Paradigm DSP 3400 Sub to augment the bass because the sound characteristics of the DSP 3400 are different from the bass speakers in the Tritons and I have a hard time achieving a natural sound while augmenting the bass.

If any of you have a separate preamp, you might want to try this experiment. I doubt that any of you have a Chase RLC-1.

I would be interested in comments from anyone who can try a similar experiment.

Oh, BTW - we have closed on our purchase of the home in Raleigh and we are preparing for the big move. Lots of sorting and deciding what to keep and what to donate before we move. Best guess is that we will move in late February or March.

Happy listening to all,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 5 years 4 months ago
Hey, Art

Have fun with the move! Lots of work, but worth it when you get settled in I'm sure.

I suspect your new listening room will be the subject of many experiments! :cheer:

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 5 years 4 months ago
As Moderator stated on this very subject 1 year & 5 months ago..."If you're happy, we're happy :)

For Christmas the Wife gave me an Schiit Loki tone control. If i need to tweak the bass, midrange or the top end (8khz) the Loki does it, and does it well. I'm happy!

www.schiit.com/products/loki
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
ArthurDaniels Posted 5 years 4 months ago
Hi Rick,

Yes, I do expect to enjoy the experience of finding out what sounds best in the new 27 x 16 room with the sloping ceiling. I expect the sound to be different than my current room.

Hi Anthem,

Your Loki Tone Control is intriguing. It appears to provide very similar functions to my Chase unit. I know Mr. Moderator and probably Sandy and other GE folks would not approve of my direct signal feed to the Ones' L:FE input. But, I am enjoying the effect at low volume levels.

Best to you both,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, rjohn79395

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
ArthurDaniels Posted 5 years 3 months ago
Hi Again Rick, Anthem and Everybody:

After several weeks of listening at low volume levels, I am totally pleased with having the ability to add some bass response via my connections to the Triton LFE inputs via my Chase Line Level controller. When Sheryl and I listen to music during our morning coffee time, I must play at low volume levels. Being able to add a bit of bass boost at these low levels has added significantly to my enjoyment of the music as we listen. My Chase unit has a remote which allows me to adjust the amount of bass I am adding to compensate for different recordings and different types of music.

For anyone who must listen at low levels and who might be thinking that the Triton Ones or the References are lacking in bass, I can only encourage you to find a way to try my approach.

When I am listening to a capella choral music, or other music which does not have a significant bass content, I do not use this bass enhancement approach, even at low volume levels.

I realize that this approach might not be applicable to those of you who are using a multi-channel approach for both music and movies. I use my Triton Ones exclusively for two-channel music, so I have no conflicting signals present at the LFE inputs..

The Triton Ones are so musical that I find this approach far superior to adding extra bass via a separate sub. So, my wonderful Paradigm sub is likely to be moved to my movie sound system.

Happy listening to al.

Artl
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, rjohn79395

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 5 years 3 months ago
Last edit: 5 years 3 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
Hey, Art

And to think you’ll get to experiment all over again in your new digs! :)

I guess the only thing I'd add is that the Triton's bass output relative to the rest of the frequency range remains constant at lower sound levels. It's our ears that are less sensitive to lower, (and higher) frequencies at lower sound levels. So, glad you found what works for your ears and your listening room!

Enjoy the music, and your move!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics DIY, Mods and Tweaks Yet Another Triton One LFE Experiment