• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
ArthurDaniels Posted 5 years 3 months ago
Last edit: 5 years 3 months ago by ArthurDaniels. info_outline
Hi Moderator,

Thanks for responding to this thread. My Chase Unit is Model RLC-1 Remote Line Controller. The remote has Bass, Treble, Balance, Fade, Mute and Volume Controls. I am driving it with a Line Out signal from my Cambridge 851A Stereo Amplifier. I have connected the RLC-1 Line Output L/R to the Left and Right LFE jacks respectively on my Triton Ones.

No, I cannot control the LFE level from my Cambridge 851A Remote because the Cambridge is not an AVR - it is a dedicated 2-channel stereo pre-amp and amplifier. I am using my Triton Ones exclusively to listen to two-channel music. I have a totally separate system for multi-channel video sound.

I listen primarily to classical music, but also some jazz, big band, folk and pop music (Sinatra, Fitzgerald and the like). I have a large and varied music collection, ranging from remastered older recordings (some pre-high fidelity) to very modern highly engineered recordings. Across this spectrum, there is a very noticeable variation in sound quality, especially bass response - not to mention differences caused by various recording techniques and different musical genres.

My Triton Ones handle mid-range and upper frequency musical variations quite nicely without adjustment, but bass levels and tonality are another matter - not because of any issues with the Ones, but simply due to the wide variability range in the source material and the various volume levels at which I listen. Therefore, for me, achieving the best sound is significantly enhanced by my ability to dynamically vary the bass levels

The Chase RLC-1 has long been out of production and I am not aware of an equivalent unit in today's market. Hence, my thoughts about a remotely variable LFE control for the Triton Series.

Regarding your last comment about a "large undertaking, especially adding in WIFI" etc. How would these considerations affect the variable LFE control concept? Perhaps I mis-understand the context of your comment.

Finally, regarding the issue of "Double Bass", following are my thoughts.

1. If I feed a series of line-level test signals directly into the Triton One LFE jack, I notice that the Triton does an excellent job of reproducing only the lower frequencies . Thus, I presume that these signals are being processed by the One's filters.

2. If I reduce the One's LFE control to low levels (minimum to no higher than 9:00 position), then I am reducing or even eliminating the "double bass" effect because most of the bass content coming from the speaker-level inputs is not being heard.

3. Having additional bass and treble controls in the Chase RLC-1 unit allows further refinement of the incoming signal to the One's LFE jack.

Please comment upon these points and correct any mis-conceptions.

Thanks again for helping out.

Art

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3416
Moderator Posted 5 years 3 months ago
Hi all,

My comment about WiFi was based on its mention in a previous post. The Schiit Loki is really the product that others might want if they're doing this. As Arthur stated, the RLC-1 has been unavailable for 20+ years. Unfortunately neither offer a wireless or remote option.

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hi Again Moderator:

My Chase RLC-1 does include a wireless remote - with all of the controls I mentioned in my last post.

I looked at the Schitt Loki and it does nor have a remote. Without a remote, I would not consider using this product because I could not make the adjustments from my PLP.

With my Chase RLC-1 Wireless Remote, I can make all adjustments from my PLP - which is what makes this whole approach work for me.

Best,

Art

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 5 years 3 months ago
www.svsound.com/products/sb16-ultra

I believe that this is what is being talked about...a Smartphone with bluetooth communicating with the low-frequency level control on the powered Tritons.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hi Anthem,

I took a quick look at the sb-16 sub. I did not read the detailed description, but the concept of a remote-controlled bass driver is appealing.

As I have mentioned previously in this thread, I have used my Chase RLC-1 to also control my Paradigm DSP-3400 15-inch powered sub. While adding the control certainly improved my enjoyment of the Paradigm, ultimately I switched to controlling my Triton Ones' bass section because of "better musicality". I simply like the unified sound of the Ones better than adding extra bass with the Paradigm.

In my opinion, adding independent remote control of the bass section of the Tritons would be an attractive feature - especially for anyone making significant use of the Tritons for music.

Art

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hi All,

I have now listened to selected favorites with my Triton Ones' LFE control set to 9:00 and set to Minimum, using the Chase RLC-1 to augment bass through direct connection to the Ones' LFE inputs. I have decided that I prefer the natural sound of my Ones' without augmentation whenever I am listening at a high-enough volume level to provide adequate bass for whatever I am listening to at that time.

So, I have returned my Ones' LFE controls to the 12:00 position. I will continue to use the Chase RLC-1 to augment bass through direct connection to the Ones' LFE inputs, but I will only activate the Chase unit when bass augmentation is needed. Usually, augmentation is only needed at low volume listening levels. But, occasionally I will also use the Chase unit at higher volume levels for recordings with particularly thin bass levels.

Based upon my experiments, I believe that I could achieve satisfactory results without any augmentation if I could remotely adjust the LFE controls on my Ones.

Happy Listening,

Art

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Advanced Topics DIY, Mods and Tweaks Yet Another Triton One LFE Experiment