file 13 channel configuration

• SR22pilot's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 1
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
SR22pilot Posted 3 years 2 months ago
What is the best use of 13 channels? I can go 9.1.4 or 7.1.6. The room is 12x20. Seating is about 3 feet from the rear wall. If I pull the seating further forward I run into an opening on the left side that makes side speaker placement problematic.

If 7.1.6, do I use Invisa HTR 7000 for all 6 speakers with the middle speakers in front of the listening position, or use the 650 speakers for the middle height pair and place them over the seating position?

For the rear surrounds, is it better to use 650’s or the MPX?

If doing 9.1.4, what would be best for the middle side speakers? Would it be best to use SuperSats angled towards the listening area?
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
rjohn79395 Posted 3 years 2 months ago
Hi SR22 pilot

Welcome to the forum!

Didn't want you to think no one was reading your questions...

At least a partial answer based on my experience with heights and various GEt speakers:

First, the HTR 7000's are the best of the best for ceiling speakers. Their sound quality and bass depth are amazing. AND their dispersion makes them suitable for closer in height duty, or further out for front or surround duty, especially if they can be placed out enough to project at ear height. In your case, the rear surrounds wouldn't be far enough back to do that. I'd lean toward the MPX's if they can be wall mounted at ear height.

Re 9.1.4 vs. 7.1.6, I haven't heard either set up, but absolutely love the addition of heights, so would lean toward the extra heights vs. the extra surrounds. Just my opinion.

You didn't mention bass support, which in my opinion is critical to getting full impact from HT movies. If anything. I'd lean toward having GOOD sub support, like SuperSubs, over having extra height or surround speakers. The impact from great bass makes a huge difference in enjoying a good movie or music.

Hope this helps a little. And hope you get other feedback with opinions.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice 13 channel configuration