question-circle Triton dilemma...

• guitarman_brian's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 2
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
guitarman_brian Posted 3 years 11 months ago
Hi everyone. I'm about to take the plunge and become a GA owner. But I'm having this cost/benefit problem.

My living room is a vaulted ceiling open concept space, about 20' x 16' with a fireplace separating it from the kitchen/dining area which is about 28' x 16'. Plus there is the entrance area... its a pretty big volume for a 1800 sq foot house.

My local dealer has offered to sell me the 3+ for $2400/pair, or the 2+ for $3200/pair. He offered to do a 30 day return window if I wanted to upgrade as well. After reading discussion (the most influential being from Sandy himself!) and reviews, I had pretty much decided that the 2+ would be better for my space. But I just got a call from him offering to sell me a set of Ones (NOT One.R's) for $4000 (I'm assuming he's been sitting on them for awhile.) Now, the extra $800 for the 2+ was a stretch for my heart and budget, and another $800 will be a huge stretch too, but I want to have speakers that will last me for a good long time - like maybe the rest of my life. But from what I've read the 2+ is quite comparable to the One.

Any insights would be appreciated. Thank you for your time reading this!
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 3 years 11 months ago
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
Hi

After the T1 was introduced, the 2 and 3's were upgraded to have similar technology to the advancements introduced in the 1, like balanced crossovers, improved DSP's, redesigned mid/bass and bass drivers. So the sound refinement should be similar across the three speakers. What is different is driver complement and size, the 2+ with more mid/bass and bass drivers and larger bass radiators than the 3+, and the 1's with larger mid/bass and bass drivers and radiators than the 2+'s. So in a sense each step up will provide more bass capability and headroom in general. So, yes, the 1 would be a step up from the 2+ IMO.

These are all fine speakers! Any of the three represent exceptional sound quality.

Your dealer has been very generous in giving you a listening opportunity with a 30 day trial. I think good advice is to get the best speakers YOU CAN AFFORD, as you can keep them a long time and benefit from whatever extra enjoyment the additional bass depth, perhaps dynamics the better speaker provides. Could you audition the 1's vs. the 2+'s at your dealer before deciding on which you want to bring home? That may help in the decision. There are many happy owners of each model. Some additional listening may help in finding what works best for you, your budget, and your listening preferences.

Happy listening!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV

• guitarman_brian's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 2
guitarman_brian Posted 3 years 11 months ago
I went and did some critical listening, and found I liked the T1 much better. Told the salesman I was having a hard time jumping up another $800... and he knocked $300 more off. So I bought them for $3700/pair. Enjoying them very much!
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 3 years 11 months ago
Enjoy! Lots of great listening ahead for you.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice Triton dilemma...