file The BEST surround sound pre-processor?

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
WayneWilmeth Posted 6 years 1 week ago
Thanks Rick!
Well, I could use a wi-fi extender, there are some places, my bedroom especially where the signal is not strong in our house, upstairs too. Will check that out and experiment with that.
But I think the router issue is the one I really need to get sorted out.
I like your idea of getting my internet service provider involved and getting advice from them.
BUT
That is similar to going to the local high school and asking for help and advice. The spotty faced people who work for my internet provider are only a year or so older than those high school kids, and seem to know nothing much at all. Not to mention that we don't speak the same language at all, AND they have no clue what a home theater is. They cannot even fathom that I don't use the remote control that comes with my sat TV service, that it is all on a universal remote control. I have to dig out the old crappy remotes when they are here.
But I will look into the dual band routers and see IF that might strengthen the network effort around my home theater.
Thanks, God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Steveo's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 297
Steveo Posted 6 years 5 hours ago
Last edit: 6 years 4 hours ago by Steveo. info_outline
Hi Wayne
I find myself in need of a new processor now that I have upgraded to 4k over the weekend. How do you find the XMC 1 or movies? I have no interest in listening to music through it. I only want it for movies with big sound and punch. I have my music sorted on a separate 2 channel preamp set up. I like the sound of dirac and I am already using Emotiva for my amp so the XMC 1 will look good on the rack. How does it sound, is it reliable?
Triton Ref Pair, Supercenter Ref, SS 3's surr
Digital-Nimitra Server>USPCB>Iso Regen>TX Ultra>chord mscaler>chord dave>deqx hdp5
Analog-Technics sp10mk2, Ortofon Quintet Black , Michell Tecnoarm
Bel Canto REF600m L & R, Emotiva Xpa 5 Gen 3 for Center and rears
Subs 2xJTR 2400captivator
PS Audio P10

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
WayneWilmeth Posted 6 years 38 minutes ago
Hi Steveo,
My XMC-1 has not been upgraded to 4K capable yet, but it is modular enough that I can buy the card and do it myself.
But the ones they sell now are UHD ready.
I HIGHLY RECOMMEND Emo's XMC-1 and I think it is well good enough for music as well as movies.
Totally, prefer the DACs in the XMC-1 to the Sabre DACs in my Oppo 95, which were the best at their time and are still no slouch.
The XMC-1 is just a VERY capable unit, reliable, I can easily say that now that I unplugged my crappy internet connection from it and just went back to using the massive remote control that came with it. Not a moment's problem since. Plays great, DIRAC room correction is wonderful to me, YES, this is the one to beat at or anywhere near this price point, IMHO.
IF you have specific questions I can try to answer, but I run everything in BALANCED mode, well, my tube CD player which never gets used really since it is only two channel is only connected by RCAs, and my laptop is only connected by HDMI. And that is the way I usually connect my Oppo, though I can play it with Balanced inputs, stereo direct only. But from the XMC-1 to my amps and sub is all balanced with XLR connectors.
LOVE it!!!!!
Go for it, you will not be sorry and MIGHT even decide to use it for your main 2 channel system, it sounds that good.
Seriously.
God Bless,
Wayne
The following user(s) said Thank You: Steveo

• HTSME's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 287
HTSME Posted 5 years 10 months ago

WayneWilmeth wrote: Hi Steveo,
My XMC-1 has not been upgraded to 4K capable yet, but it is modular enough that I can buy the card and do it myself.
But the ones they sell now are UHD ready.
I HIGHLY RECOMMEND Emo's XMC-1 and I think it is well good enough for music as well as movies.
Totally, prefer the DACs in the XMC-1 to the Sabre DACs in my Oppo 95, which were the best at their time and are still no slouch.
The XMC-1 is just a VERY capable unit, reliable, I can easily say that now that I unplugged my crappy internet connection from it and just went back to using the massive remote control that came with it. Not a moment's problem since. Plays great, DIRAC room correction is wonderful to me, YES, this is the one to beat at or anywhere near this price point, IMHO.
IF you have specific questions I can try to answer, but I run everything in BALANCED mode, well, my tube CD player which never gets used really since it is only two channel is only connected by RCAs, and my laptop is only connected by HDMI. And that is the way I usually connect my Oppo, though I can play it with Balanced inputs, stereo direct only. But from the XMC-1 to my amps and sub is all balanced with XLR connectors.
LOVE it!!!!!
Go for it, you will not be sorry and MIGHT even decide to use it for your main 2 channel system, it sounds that good.
Seriously.
God Bless,
Wayne

I am back for a while. Been working too hard as a volunteer, 30 to 60 hours per week.

Check out Marantz and Integra preamps or McIntosh. You only live once and you can sacrifice a lot for the improvement. You won't be unhappy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
WayneWilmeth Posted 5 years 10 months ago
Hi Del, welcome back!!!! Missed you around here!!!!!
WOW, that is a LOT of volunteering, want to tell us about it?
IMHO the Marantz and especially the Integra would be a backward move in terms of quality. I moved up from Marantz to the Emotiva XMC-1, at least I feel it was a move up.
McIntosh, yeah, right, well, I am not sure what processor they make, nor how much it costs, but I am pretty sure it is one of those, "IF you have to ask the price then you can't afford it" sorta deals!!!!
And I definitely could not afford it. OK, you made me look and UGHHHH, the prices of the MX122 and MX160 are WAY up there!!!
Am hanging in there with the Emo, though it is getting a little more buggy.
Sometimes the sound is almost muted, garbled sounding what I can here. I change inputs and it is fine, go back to the offending/garbled sounding input and it is fine then. And doesn't happen again for a day or two. Don't know what is wrong, but this is the wrong forum for that.
Anyway, welcome back and please keep posting Del.
God Bless,
Wayne

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
ArthurDaniels Posted 5 years 10 months ago
Hi Wayne,

I have found that it is often the case that very reputable companies do not want to have any of their products disparaged - especially in print and especially in print in locations where such negative comments can be read by knowledgeable folks and potential customers.

If I were experiencing problems such as you describe, I would contact the company directly to discuss and seek solutions. You might be pleasantly surprised at the results. If so, then you could write about the excellent support and resolution -- which is exactly the testimony being sought by the company.

Best,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice The BEST surround sound pre-processor?