file The BEST surround sound pre-processor?

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
WayneWilmeth Posted 5 years 9 months ago
Thanks Art, I have posted a question about what is going wrong with my pre-processor on the Emo forum, hoping someone will know what to do to fix it.
However, that forum is not nearly as responsive as this one is.
Will see.
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 5 years 9 months ago
Last edit: 5 years 9 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
Hey, Wayne

Funny thing about sophisticated electronics gear, it sometimes develops a mind of it's own. Both my current Marantz SR 7010 AVR and the former NAD T757 developed a habit sometimes of "forgetting" to include one of the speakers in surround mode. Shutting down and restarting always seemed to fix it. The Marantz has occasionally forgotten to play the right surround, the right front, and recently the center channel. All is well again. Have NO idea what happened or why it's OK again.

I hope you get some help from Emo or it's forum for your garbled SQ issue. I'm not a huge believer in gear "fixing itself", but sometimes a full factory reset can get things right again.

Good luck!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Yes, Rick,
Fortunately, for me, the problem can be solved, at least temporarily, in secs by changing to another input and then going back.
I guess I am more concerned that this is a sign of possible problems to come. i.e. that she might get more buggy!!!!
No help from Emo, not yet anyway, still hoping.
God Bless,
Wayne

• HTSME's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 287
HTSME Posted 5 years 9 months ago

WayneWilmeth wrote: Hi Del, welcome back!!!! Missed you around here!!!!!
WOW, that is a LOT of volunteering, want to tell us about it?
IMHO the Marantz and especially the Integra would be a backward move in terms of quality. I moved up from Marantz to the Emotiva XMC-1, at least I feel it was a move up.
McIntosh, yeah, right, well, I am not sure what processor they make, nor how much it costs, but I am pretty sure it is one of those, "IF you have to ask the price then you can't afford it" sorta deals!!!!
And I definitely could not afford it. OK, you made me look and UGHHHH, the prices of the MX122 and MX160 are WAY up there!!!
Am hanging in there with the Emo, though it is getting a little more buggy.
Sometimes the sound is almost muted, garbled sounding what I can here. I change inputs and it is fine, go back to the offending/garbled sounding input and it is fine then. And doesn't happen again for a day or two. Don't know what is wrong, but this is the wrong forum for that.
Anyway, welcome back and please keep posting Del.
God Bless, Wayne

I was asked by the leadership of our church to head up the Building Committee in August 2016. Lead a group of 8 members and selected the architect and General Contractor by January 2017. Voters approved our expansion plan in April 2017 and we broke ground on 9/15/17 and completed the project on 7/13/18. After the last Building Committee meeting in October 2017 shifted to the Construction Project Manager for our church. Three of us made up our church team and we met every other week solving issues, making construction decisions, etc.

I averaged 30 to 60 hours per week from December 2017 to August 2018. We added 4 class rooms to our existing school, added a year around Early Childhood Learning Center for kids from 6 weeks to 4 years, and added a church wing with offices, cafeteria, and a multi-purpose worship-fellowship area. In addition included a cafeteria and a performance stage and a music room. We added 31,400 square feet of new space and are running just under budget. The GC has 8 "punch list" items to finish and the project will be done.

So due to all the volunteering only been to 6 movies this year, one mini 3 day vacation for a wedding, and an upcoming cruise. Have done very little listening to music and watched only a couple of movies at home over the past 10 months. By the end of October the financial reports will be done and punch list items so maybe, I will get my life back.

See next message on your intermittent issue with the preamp.

Del
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

• HTSME's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 287
HTSME Posted 5 years 9 months ago

WayneWilmeth wrote: Hi Del, welcome back!!!! Missed you around here!!!!!

Sometimes the sound is almost muted, garbled sounding what I can here. I change inputs and it is fine, go back to the offending/garbled sounding input and it is fine then. And doesn't happen again for a day or two. Don't know what is wrong, but this is the wrong forum for that.
Anyway, welcome back and please keep posting Del.
God Bless,
Wayne

Wayne, try this for me just for giggles. Turn off the entire system, pull the power plug for at least 3 minutes. Plug in the power cord. During this process when the preamp is unplugged, also unplug your Blu-ray player and wait at least 2 minutes, and plug in the power cord. Then power up the entire system.

My assumption is that you will not loose all your settings in the preamp. If your concern, write all of them down before shutting it down and unplugging the power cord. Depends upon how brave you want to be.

After starting up the system I would go into all your preamp menus and see if the settings look reasonable.

If it happens again with the garbled sound, time to contact tech support. There is so much computerization in the preamps, it could be anything from heat to electrical glitches causing issues or a part starting to fail.

Del
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hi Del and WOW!!!!
I am well impressed with all you have been doing!!!! Bet they couldn't have a better man for the job!!!!
Super cool that you can help like that, sounds like a HUGE project!!!!
Well done!!!!!

In your honor, because you asked, I did as you said.
I did not have any fear about losing settings, they are well saved and even backed up to an ext. drive.
And so far it seems none were lost or bothered.
BUT we will have to see now if that small bug is gone or not?
Hoping and praying it is, and is NOT a sign of other bugs/problems to come.
AND IF it is fixed now, then MANY thanks and many happy days ahead!!!!
You were right of course, that is the first thing that Emo would tell me to do anyway, something that I just HAD to do before taking any further steps. I keep making the mistake of thinking this is audio equipment, and forgetting that no, it is a computer and as such, has to be rebooted once in a while.
Thanks and God Bless Del,
Wayne

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice The BEST surround sound pre-processor?