file Thoughts On This Configuration please.

• UPS retiree's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 25
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
UPS retiree Posted 6 years 10 months ago
Looking for thoughts about this 7.2.4 setup... I have a 16'x14' room with 10' ceilings. Here's my speaker setup scenario...
2 Triton 7's
Super Center XL
2 Invisa MPX rear surround. (In wall)
2 Super Sat 60's for side sound (on wall)
4 Invisa HTR 7000 Height speaker (in ceiling)
Martin Logan Dynamo 700 sub (own it)

Running this all through the new Marantz SR8012 AV reciever..11.2ch 140w (Release date Dec 17)
Any thoughts.. ? Overkill? Maybe a different speaker lineup? I'd appreciate the expertise I've read in other forums within this GE family. Thanks in advance.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 6 years 10 months ago
Hi, UPS retiree

Good questions!

With four great height speakers (HTR 7000’s) in your potential shopping basket, I’d think about going with one set of surrounds and spending the money saved on side surrounds on upgrading some of the other speakers, like changing the fronts to maybe T5’s. Lots of opinions (including my own) suggest that with heights added, especially 4 heights, one pair of surrounds work pretty darn well. T5’s would also add more bass punch to the mix.

Fronts and center are mainstays of a surround system. A Supercenter XL will do a great job. I’d give some thought to what fronts would best work there, vs. what side surrounds might add.

Good luck! Haven’t heard a GEt speaker combo yet that I didn’t love.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, UPS retiree

Thank you rjohn79395.. I've gone through so many scenarios I'm getting dizzy... Is there much of a difference between a 5.1 and 7.1? Dumb question maybe, but do the side speakers make that much difference? I have looked at the T5's as well. That's a good recommend to think about for sure.

On a side note... I read about the new Invisa Signature Point Source in wall speakers.. Any thoughts on those? Or should I just stay with towers?? The Signature have an awesome clean look about them. Those won't come out till next year, but worth researching for me. I like your setup too, but why did you use 2 different sets of heights?..

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 6 years 10 months ago
Hi UPS,
You are asking the right questions in the right place, and Bro Rick has given some great advice.
I too would go with bigger front speakers, the T 5s would be the minimum to me. IF you need to save money somewhere to do that, the rear speakers are the ones to give up, not the side surrounds. Just slide the side surrounds back a bit behind the listening position into a 5.1 setup, you will not miss much. 7.1 is great but not particularly noticeably better than 5.1. I can't help on the .4 ATMOS part.
Two good front Triton Towers with the SC XL would make an awesome beginning to any GREAT surround sound home theater!!!!!
As Rick said, you cannot lose if you stay with all GEt speakers. (Yeah, we will give you a pass on the sub!)
Happy hunting, and have fun planning, buying, setting it all up.
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, UPS retiree

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 6 years 10 months ago
Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline

UPS retiree wrote: why did you use 2 different sets of heights?..

Hi, UPS retiree

My current Invisa 525's as top rear heights were surrounds in the original 5.1 set-up "back when". Then along came new products like HTR 7000's, Atmos firmware and receivers, and the original set-up evolved to 5.1.4, with Triton towers as surrounds, the Invisa 525's repurposed as top rears from surrounds, and the new HTR 7000's added as top fronts. If I were starting over, I'd go with four HTR 7000's, but the original 525's are great speakers also and do just fine as top rears. All GEt's play together nicely.

Have fun!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice Thoughts On This Configuration please.