file Any advice for rear pairing with Triton Ones?

• Chazboski's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 9
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Chazboski Posted 7 years 7 months ago
Hey guys,

I've all but decided on picking up the Triton Ones in a few months after I move. Almost grabbed them last week, but after a long talk with the girlfriend we decided it's best to wait until after we move so we have one less thing to deal with right now. In the meantime, I'd like to start planning ahead for the eventual 5.1.2 system, and see what I can get moving in the meantime.

Barring any major change of heart, I know I'm going with the pair of Triton Ones and a Super Center XXL. Receiver is a Marantz 7011. I know I want to go 5.1 minimum. Assuming 5.1.2 or 5.1.4 if I end up buying as opposed to renting, and of course 7 channel if I somehow get super lucky space wise. However, right now I'm focusing on the rears.

The general idea is that I'd like to use the eventual rears for the system as my the main parts of my current 5.1 right now with the left overs of the current low end 5.1 I inherited from my parents. However, I have absolutely no idea what I should be looking at. One dealer I spoke with told me he recommended in wall for the rears, which obviously isn't an option now. Another suggested using Triton 2s or so, however I've also been told that's complete overkill and doesn't help my current situation at all. I'm not opposed to either of these if that's the best way for me to go, however the SuperSat 60s seemed great for right now. I just have no idea if they would be a good way for me to go long term.

Does anyone have any insight here? I'm fairly new to the world of hifi speakers, but I'm a big believer of doing it right once as opposed to doing it several times along the way and having to keep paying.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 7 years 7 months ago
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline

Chazboski wrote:
... I'd like to start planning ahead for the eventual 5.1.2 system, and see what I can get moving in the meantime.

Barring any major change of heart, I know I'm going with the pair of Triton Ones and a Super Center XXL. Receiver is a Marantz 7011. I know I want to go 5.1 minimum. Assuming 5.1.2 or 5.1.4 if I end up buying as opposed to renting, and of course 7 channel if I somehow get super lucky space wise. However, right now I'm focusing on the rears.

The general idea is that I'd like to use the eventual rears for the system as my the main parts of my current 5.1 right now with the left overs of the current low end 5.1 I inherited from my parents. However, I have absolutely no idea what I should be looking at. One dealer I spoke with told me he recommended in wall for the rears, which obviously isn't an option now. Another suggested using Triton 2s or so, however I've also been told that's complete overkill and doesn't help my current situation at all. I'm not opposed to either of these if that's the best way for me to go, however the SuperSat 60s seemed great for right now. I just have no idea if they would be a good way for me to go long term.

...I'm a big believer of doing it right once as opposed to doing it several times along the way and having to keep paying.

Welcome to the forum, Chazboski!

You are heading for a great system! T1's and a SCXXL will be awesome as a front end start point in your future home.

That's good that you're planning ahead! Though not knowing the room constraints of the future home for the system makes it some harder to envision what to start with as mains in your current location, and bring to the new location for surround duty. (Do I understand correctly that that's your intention? If not I apologize!).. Will the future room have floor space to position floor standing surrounds, etc. Given that you, understandably, don't want to install in-wall or ceiling speakers in your current location, then your GEt options for current mains/future surrounds would seem to be Supersats, Aons or Triton towers.

My own personal preference is to have bass heft played front and back, for both action movies and surround music. The beauty of the GEt speaker line is that you can mix and match however you want. There aren't any "wrong" choices. Powered Tritons give a "two-fer", both sub bass and full range sound in one package. Aon's and Supersats can be augmented with a free standing sub later if you grow your system in stages and decide later you want to add more bass presence in the room. They ALL play together nicely!

I don't see T2's as "overkill", for either temporary duty as mains in your current location, or as surrounds in your future location. They would do an awesome job in either role! The question may be more, will the future room lay-out be amenable to placing and wiring floor standing surrounds. Aon's for instance could be wall or shelf mounted, or floor stand placed, depending on room configuration/constraints. If you go with Supersat's, they are not optimized to be run as full range speakers... do you have a sub in your current system to handle the bass portion if they are to be used, for now, as mains? No issues as future surround speakers, they could be crossed to the front T1 mains at the recommended 100-120 HZ.

I think if I were in your shoes, and couldn't predict what constraints the future room would present for speaker placement, I'd be tempted to also consider Aon's for their versatility. (T Cobe may wish to comment, he has experience using them in various channels, not sure if he ever ran them as full range, or crossed to his sub.) If you can, get a listen to each of the speakers you are considering at your dealer.

Again, not a bad choice for future duty in the bunch! The way they blend together, create this amazing sound field....

Good luck in your journey towards a full GEt surround system! Many happy hours of listening pleasure await!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV

• eiffel62's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 133
eiffel62 Posted 7 years 7 months ago
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by eiffel62. info_outline
I would also like to welcome you to the forum Chazboski!

And I agree wholeheartedly with Rick.

Chazboski wrote: I know I'm going with the pair of Triton Ones and a Super Center XXL.

You probably will not get any disagreement with anyone here on this choice of LR, Center, RF speakers. That is, except perhaps the new Triton Reference speakers, which I am sure many of us here are thinking about as well.

Chazboski wrote: I know I want to go 5.1 minimum... and of course 7 channel if I somehow get super lucky space wise. However, right now I'm focusing on the rears.

I believe you meant that you are focusing on the surround speakers for the future 5.1. And if space allows, extend to 7.1 with rear (a.k.a surround back) speakers.

I currently have a living room that serves as my primary theater/music room and it measures 13x17, probably on the small(+) to average(-) size room. Further, it is far from idea having two wide openings, one behind the RF on the short wall and the other to the left side of the room on the long wall. I choose to put front speakers oriented to one end of the short wall to allow more room between the front and surround & rear speakers in my 7.1 system. The room also does not allow for height speakers. I too am beginning to look for a new home and a proper theater room setup will be a major requirement.

I have Triton Ones and Super Center XXL upfront as you plan to get. I have the Triton 2+s as surround seakers which are located around 110+ degrees slightly behind the main listening position (MLP). A pair of older DCM TimeFrame 600s (my old remnant 5.1 system) are the rear speakers directly behind the MLP. The TF-600s are floor standing sock speakers, almost as tall as the 2+, and though good speakers in their day, and not up to the quality of GoldenEar speakers. The MLP seating are two high-back theater seats but the TF-600s sit atop a raised fireplace hearth flooring aside to the unused, sealed, once drafty fireplace. The cone tweeters are raised enough to be heard by the MLP even if partially blocked by the high seat backs. I usually lower the theater seats back during critical listening. This is definitely not a WAF-approved arrangement but one of the benefits I have with being divorced and having a roommate that currently allows this temporary, slightly embarrassing, quasi-theater room.

I enjoy listening to stereo music with the surrounds & rears duplicating the Triton Ones upfront. I feel it to be more immersive or surround like. Some people do not like this, but I sit on the multi-channel side of the fence. I also like hearing mono recordings in this more immersive mode. More recent quadraphonic SACD from Audio Fidelity releases from the 70's original quad mixes produce full discrete rear sound, not just ambient surrounds, and having full range speakers ensures proper replication. Same goes for many 5.1 releases, though some mixes are ambient in the surround. I also have a hand full of 7.1/9.1 discrete music such as those produced by 2L (Lindberg Lyd) recordings from Norway which produce some of the highest-res multi-channel classical music to date.

Chazboski wrote: One dealer I spoke with told me he recommended in wall for the rears, which obviously isn't an option now. Another suggested using Triton Twos or so, however I've also been told that's complete overkill and doesn't help my current situation at all...I'm a big believer of doing it right once as opposed to doing it several times along the way and having to keep paying.

Those that believe surround speakers do not need to be full range are probably referring to early multi-channel mixes that were often more surround ambient oriented and did not require full surround speakers. Most surround moves and music today expect full range surround speakers and/or subs. Many dealers or sellers of systems often appease buyers who may be unwilling or unable to invest in full range speakers as it is better to make some sale vs. a potential buyer walking-out.

Regarding my situation, the current 7.1 setup will probably go back to a 5.1 setup once the weather warms, as my secondary, remnant system is in the unfinished basement providing music to my hot tub and those rear TF-600s will replace my outdoor patio speakers destined for the deck that currently provide the hot tub surrounds. With only a very small percentage of 7.1/9.1, I feel 7.1 is not absolutely necessary, and would rather have a full, all GoldenEar 5.1 speaker system and enjoy music outside.

Once I get that proper theater room I plan to have a complete, all GoldenEar speakers such as: Triton Reference upfront, Triton Ones to wide front or surround, Triton 2+s/Triton Fives surround/rears, and Invisa HTR 7000 for heights. We should all be able to dream, and that is mine. Good luck with your dream as well.
Spkrs: GE Triton One L/R, GE SCXXL Center, GE Triton 2+ Surrs, DCM TF600 Rears
Pre pro: Emotiva XMC-1, PS Audio NuWave Phono Converter
Amps: Emotiva Gen3(2) 3-Chan LCR, 4-Chan Surr&Rears
Sources: Oppo BDP-105, ClearAudio Concept TT with MM Cartridge
Display: Vizio SmartCast P55-C1 Ultra HD HDR LCD
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• Chazboski's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 9
Chazboski Posted 7 years 7 months ago
@rjohn79395, you're absolutely right. I could have phrased that a bit better, and Eiffel was right about me talking about the surrounds not the rears right now. Always seem to mix that up.

Right now it's a low budget 5.1 with Sony speakers and a fairly decent Klipsch sub that was being used on my PC build.

As much as I'd love to get the Triton 2's now and use them for rears later, that just doesn't solve the space issue that seems to be the biggest problem with the girlfriend in the current place. She's possibly moving in next month until we get a bigger place, so it's going to be a lot of her "fitting" into the current place as opposed to having her own area. The Supersats or the Aons would both fit in perfectly for now if they could be repurposed later. Would either of those be decent options for surrounds in the 5.1? What about the best case hypothetical if they moved to the rears with Triton 2s at the surrounds?
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 7 years 7 months ago
Hi Chazboski,
Welcome to the forum, and I too think whichever way you go, you will end up with a fantastic system. Great suggestions from the guys above!!!
My system is very similar to Effiel's, though he has ever bigger dreams than I do.
Have you heard the Aons or Supersats?
This is just my opinion, but the Aons are great sounding little speakers. They almost wear big boy pants!!!! For full range sound they do need to be augmented by a sub to really get the bass, especially for movies. But in the end they would sound great for surround rears.
Triton 7s or 5s would be even better, with the T 2+s and T 3+s MUCH better yet.
Hope this helps and hope you are happy with what you decide on, I am sure you will be as long as you stay in the GEt family of speakers.
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 7 years 7 months ago

Chazboski wrote: The Supersats or the Aons would both fit in perfectly for now if they could be repurposed later. Would either of those be decent options for surrounds in the 5.1? What about the best case hypothetical if they moved to the rears with Triton 2s at the surrounds?

Hey, Chazboski

No worries about repurposing GEt speakers when/if you expand your system over time. My T2's started as front mains, got repurposed to surrounds when I got T1's, my ceiling Invisa 525's started as surrounds, eventually got repurposed as Atmos top rear height speakers after the T2's moved to take over surround duties. Either the Supersats or the Aons would fit right in as original mains (especially with sub help) in your current system, and would completely fit as surrounds, OR repurposed, again, as rear surrounds if you expanded to 7.1 in the future. SO many ways to mix and match GEt speakers and subs!!!

It's really worth getting to listen to the speaker options you are considering. But no issues about how they "play together", now or in any projected move to another channel. The voice and tonal matching across the whole GEt line is uncanny.

Good luck, and have fun in the process!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice Any advice for rear pairing with Triton Ones?