file Triton One or Two+ decision help

• Keelover's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 21
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Keelover Posted 7 years 7 months ago
Hi T Cobe. Sorry to dig this one up again but I thought you may be able to provide some valuable feedback.

My project is complete now and I ended up choosing the Triton Ones. My setup is somewhat similar to yours in that my processor (Marantz) has two RCA sub outs and two XLR sub outs. I currently have the two RCA sub outs connected directly to the Ones. I went this route based on Sandy's tips but I have also read elsewhere in these forums that running speaker cable only to the fronts is preferred. I then have one of the XLR outs connected to my external sub which has balanced inputs. I'm not sure if it would be better to have both of the XLR outs connected to my sub.

Did you end up using the Anthem's room correction or doing it manually? Just curious. I'm trying to figure out the best way to make the Ones behave with the Marantz's Audyssey. Audyssey requires the user to input whether there is 1, 2 or no subs. I chose two.

Thank you for the help.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 7 years 7 months ago
Keelover,

Congrats on the T1s and the rest of your gear! Sounds like a great setup. What are the rest of the components? Pics?

I think you have everything connected properly. The next step should be to run your sub test tone and set each sub for 69 dB individually. When all 3 are running, that should put them at approximately 75 dB. I would connect 1 sub at a time for this 69 dB level calibration. Once there, you should be able to run Audessey.

Good luck with the results. I have never been a fan of the room calibration that Audessey does and usually left it turned off. Your results may be better. After it's done, try the sound with Audessey both on and off. Let us know what you discover and good luck. Be patient and run it a few times and you may get better results.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, Keelover

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 7 years 7 months ago
Keelover, congrats on your choice of the Triton Ones!!!
And as always T. Cobe has been giving you stellar advice.
In the Marantz you should be able to set your sub to just 1 and it will send the same LFE info to all subs, including those on the T Ones and your rear sub.
I have the same, T Ones in the front and a sub in the middle of the rear wall, sounds great!!!
I am a fan of the Marantz, but as T. said, I also am not a fan of the results I got with Audyssey. YMMV, so like he said, try it with and without. I believe you can also try it with the room correction only applied to the surrounds but leaving the front speakers alone. Have fun playing with it and see what sounds best.
Happy Listening. God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe, Keelover

Thank you T Cobe.

I really appreciate the advice regarding the sub dB levels. I have not really spent much time adjusting those so that will certainly be my next focus. Audyssey ran through the sub test tones and calibration but I'm somewhat skeptical of the final results to be honest.

The rest of my gear is as follows:
Marantz 8802A pre/pro
Emotiva XPA 6 and XPA 7 amps
Oppo 203
Triton One fronts
Supercenter XXL center
Invisa MPX surrounds
Invisa HTR 7000 rears
Invisa 525 (4) Atmos
SVS SB16 sub

Thanks again.

Thank you Wayne.

during the setup process, I was unsure as to whether or not to choose one sub or two in the Marantz menu. I think I chose two simply because I was utilizing both of the RCA sub outs on the back of the unit. I was afraid that choosing only one sub in the menu would not leave both sub outs on the Marantz active. With your setup and setting the menu option to one sub, are you using both of the RCA sub outs on the back of your unit?

Also, do you do much 2 channel music listening with your system? One thing I was struggling with was the sub settings when listening to 2 channel music. In order to have my external sub participate when playing two channel music, it sounded like I needed to set the sub setting on the Marantz to LFE + Main given I had the front speakers set to Large. However, this also made things sound boomier in the fronts.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 7 years 7 months ago
Ha ha, great question Keelover, one we all have struggled with.
No, I am much more of a surround sound guy, but you want to set your system up to do both, where you do not have to change things around to listen to two channel music.
So, short answer is, NO to LFE+Main. You heard right, it does cause a boomier sound.
I was (when I had the Marantz AV7005, now I have the Emo XMC-1) and still am connected to all 4 sub outputs, still had a splitter on one, but all set for just ONE SUB. Think of the LFE low freqs as just being a mono signal, then it is easy to see why I did that. Because basically the X.1 (LFE) signal is just one. Not the bass from music, which is stereo and does go to either side of the T Ones. That is why you set them to large.
I hope this helps, but if it is clear as mud, pls ask again, will try to do better.
And trust your ears, obviously you are hearing the right things, ENJOY!!!!
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe, Keelover

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice Triton One or Two+ decision help