file Calling Suggestions for 7.1.2/7.1.4 atmos setup

• filmfan214's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 9
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
filmfan214 Posted 8 years 6 months ago

Basanth Gowda wrote: Thank you.

I was reading else where on the forums and saw that HTR7000 are directional. Budget is no issue as I am hoping I will stick with what ever I finally end up with for a while.

Has any one tried both for the height channels ? I mean 650 & HTR7000 . Like they started with 650 and later upgraded to 7000's and have heard difference? I am sure they make a lot of difference if they are used as surround speakers.

Sounds like a good setup you're planning! I don't have an answer but I'd also love to hear about your question above. My ceiling is only about 7'3", so I'm wondering if direction speakers (HTR7000) would be necessary for a 7.1.4 configuration.
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 6 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by T Cobe. info_outline
The more I think about it, the more it makes sense for lower ceilings to have the directional HTR 7000s. I believe that was the recommendation. Moderator Dude, your advice?

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: Basanth Gowda, filmfan214

• filmfan214's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 9
filmfan214 Posted 8 years 6 months ago

T Cobe wrote: The more I think about it, the more it makes sense for lower ceilings to have the directional HTR 7000s. I believe that was the recommendation. Moderator Dude, your advice?

Cheers,

T Cobe

That sounds right to me. But one concern I have is that I don't have a lot of space between by couch and back wall (just over 3 feet), so I worry that that the left/right rears will not be at the right angle for the listening position. I looked at the manual for the HTR 7000s but didn't see a recommend distance for the L/R fronts or rears (only a suggested distance for the L/R fronts). Because they are directional, it seems like there should be a recommended distance based on the angle. Maybe it is not listed because it is also dependent on ceiling height.
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe, Basanth Gowda

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 8 years 6 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by Moderator. info_outline

T Cobe wrote: The more I think about it, the more it makes sense for lower ceilings to have the directional HTR 7000s. I believe that was the recommendation. Moderator Dude, your advice?

Cheers,

T Cobe

That's correct, we have found that with ceiling heights below 10ft that "hot spotting" was a significant issue because the height speaker is simply too close to your ears. The use of HTR 7000s was actually something Sandy came up with as a way to address this (typical out of the box thinking from the world's most successful speaker designer) when GoldenEar was planning our first Atmos system demonstration for the CEDIA 2014 trade show. You probably recall the press reports coming out of that presentation were, with all modesty, over the top. Although not presented in a very attractive format, there is a bunch of information and press comments in the Atmos Systems section of our website's Support menu: www.goldenear.com/support/atmos-systems

To reiterate what some others have said, don't mix and match. The cohesive presentation of an all-GoldenEar system (the "room full of ribbons") is truly spectacular and very different than typical HF transducers. If you want a bubble of sound, and not just little chunks, you want GET all around. Lastly, 7.1.2 vs. 5.1.4 vs 7.1.4 should be decided based upon the size of the room and the number of amplified channels you want to support, but generally, if nine channels is your max, most will prefer to do 5.1.4 rather than 7.1.2.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe, Basanth Gowda, filmfan214

• Basanth Gowda's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 3
Basanth Gowda Posted 8 years 6 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by Basanth Gowda. Reason: adding desc for pics info_outline
Thank you Mod.

My room size 14'5 x 17'6". with seating distance at 12' from the screen. Basement is almost done and I am talking to a dealer for pricing the system out.

Question :
1) Is this room too small for 7.1.4 ?
2) www.goldenear.com/support/atmos-systems - In these the rear shows tritons angled. I would be using Invisia MPX in wall, what would be the placement of these. I read elsewhere that for atmos setup surround and rear should be at ear level and not above, so that we could distinguish between surround/rear and heights. Is that true
3) Regarding - "if nine channels is your max, most will prefer to do 5.1.4 rather than 7.1.2" -> I would be using Marantz SR 7010 and along with it thinking to use an external amp. As such this receiver alone would not be able to drive my other zones.
4) I am also getting speakers for other area of basement - hall area, bar area and a future TV area, so that we can sit at the bar and watch games ;-). I have been suggested to go with 6 speakers,with 2 in each area. See pics attached. So not sure how the setup would be, I have to figure this out.

First pic - is HTR
Second Pic - taken from Bar area - So its 3 sections (bar area, the middle hall & the end future TV area) - thinking 2 speakers in each area.
Attachments:

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 8 years 6 months ago
1) No, but it is a lot of speakers for a small space;

2) Triton Surrounds (not Rears), positions change depending on whether it is a 5.x or 7.x system. Yes, all non-Atmos channels should be at (or present at ) ear height.

3) The 7010 is a nine channel receiver, so you can't do 7.1.4 anyway

4) Can't help you, that's for the local integrator to help you figure out

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice Calling Suggestions for 7.1.2/7.1.4 atmos setup