file Calling Suggestions for 7.1.2/7.1.4 atmos setup

• Basanth Gowda's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 3
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Basanth Gowda Posted 8 years 6 months ago
Hi All,
I need some suggestions on what a decent setup would be for a 7.2.4 setup. I am no audiophile. Room size is 14'5" X 17'6". Most of it would be for watching movies and may be very occasional music.

I went to BB and couple other dealers and have auditioned B&W (CM9 and CM10). I liked the way CM10 sounded. I have auditioned ML 60XT & 40, liked CM10 over this, 60XT was not behind by much. I have also heard KEF briefly and at a local Atlanta dealer have heard GE Tritons as well. I couldn't audition Triton two+ or three+ as they don't have it yet. My Basement contractor and his CEDIA installer are saying to go for KEF.

If I were to go with GE, for a room of my size, would Triton three+ be good enough (or two+ sounds better at lower volumes) ? I don't like listening at high volumes and I definitely don't want things in other rooms shaking

GE Setup would be - Triton three+ for L&R, Super Center XL for Centre, 4 Invisia MPX for surrounds & 2/4 Invisia 650 for Height. These will be driven by a Marantz SR-7010.

Any advice appreciated.
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• BluesSailor's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 27
BluesSailor Posted 8 years 6 months ago
BG,

My room is almost the same size as yours. I'm running all GE speakers with T2's and SCXL up front and SS3's as surrounds and rears. For ATMOS heights I just picked up 4 HTR7000's. I'm also running two 15"'subs. If I were to change anything, I'd go with the new T5's since my subs cover the low end very well. Last, im running the Marantz 7010 as well.

The GE's play well and sound great at all volume levels. You will find yourself listening at louder levels than you think because the sound is so natural without any harshness or strain that you don't notice the volume creeping up on you. For movies you will want the T2's unless you add a sub to your system.

Other than that, the GE speakers you have spec'd out will serve you well. If your budget allows, consider the HTR 7000's for your heights.

Blues
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, T Cobe, Basanth Gowda

Thank you Blues.

No budget is not an issue, but my contractor who is pushing me towards KEF and another professional installer was mentioning that we don't need expensive speakers for height channels.

My ceiling is 105" height (8.75'). Also both the guys are saying 7.1.2 is good enough and no need to go for 7.1.4 for that space.
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

• Roman Johnston's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 802
Roman Johnston Posted 8 years 6 months ago
Personally stick with the GE products across the board. Your full GE plan you listed at the bottom should give you an absolutely amazing surround system. I would not mix and match brands.....

Happy listening!!

Roman
LR:
Onkyo TX-NR636
Surround System = SSat3 x5
Sub - FF4

Office:
NAD T748 V2
Nearfield System = Aon 2 Mains
SSat3 Surrounds
Sub - FF3
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, rjohn79395, T Cobe, Basanth Gowda

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 6 months ago
Basanth,

Obviously we're going to be a bit biased here but I think you've received great advice so far. I think the setup you've chosen would be good but the T2+ would be better. If cost is not an issue, I'd recommend the SuperCenterXXL. The MPXs should be great for surrounds. Regarding you height speakers, I recall Moderator Dude having a standard recommendation based on ceiling height but I don't recall the limits. In general, the HTR 7000s have received significant praise and seem to be GETs go to choice for trade shows. That says something. If price is truly not an issue, I'd recommend listening to the Triton Ones. They are amazing but may be more than you need for primarily home theater use.

I'd try to conduct a head to head audition between KEF and GET to see which brand you prefer. It's your money and your theater room; don't let anyone talk you into a solution. In the end, you're the only one that needs to be happy with your choice: maybe family members as well. :laugh: please let us know what you decide and how it works out.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, rjohn79395, Basanth Gowda

Thank you.

I was reading else where on the forums and saw that HTR7000 are directional. Budget is no issue as I am hoping I will stick with what ever I finally end up with for a while.

Has any one tried both for the height channels ? I mean 650 & HTR7000 . Like they started with 650 and later upgraded to 7000's and have heard difference? I am sure they make a lot of difference if they are used as surround speakers.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice Calling Suggestions for 7.1.2/7.1.4 atmos setup