file Anthem AVM 60

• Pbgalvin's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Lovin' GET T1s
    • Thank you received: 633
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Pbgalvin Posted 7 years 1 month ago
Hey folks, just found this thread and it's right up my alley.
Currently have the Marantz 7701 and thinking about a used Anthem AVM to front end my HT system featuring
a Sony XBR75x900E TV, Oppo 205, and T Ref speakers.
Seems like folks who have made a similar move to Anthem are very happy. Anyone have qualms about their move or should I pull the trigger?!
Thanks.
2 channel -> GeT Ones.R, Rogue RP-7 pre, Kinki Studio B7 Monoblock amps fed by Oppo 105D, SonicTransport, OpticalRendu w/ 200,000 tracks, Rega RP8 w/ Garrott OPTIM S3 FGS Ruby + Sutherland 20/20 phono pre, PS Audio Powerplant 20
HT -> Marantz 7703, Butler Audio T5150 amp, GeT Ref mains
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline school
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 7 years 1 month ago
Pbgalvin,

I'm still as pleased today with my AVM 60 as I was when I started this thread. Anthem's support the few times I have had bugs has been great. I did compare the AVM 60 to the 7702 in my original post and stand by my impressions of the differences.

The one pice I'm missing in my system is the SCXXL. The amount of detail available from both the AVM 60 and the SCXXL create a synergy that is unbelievable. The amount of realism and detail that was present during my audition with Mission Impossible Rogue Nation was fantastic and I have not been able to repeat this at home with the SCXL. The AVM 60 truly takes advantage of the SCXXL and the T1s.

Just my .02, but I couldn't resist chiming in that I have been 100% happy with my decision to purchase the AVM 60! If you haven't had the chance to perform an audition, I'd highly recommend going out and doing so. I truly believe there is a synergy created between the AVM 60 and GET speakers. The ARC 2 software is also the best solution I have used! It's better than Audessey in so many ways!

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable

• jcbudny's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 61
jcbudny Posted 7 years 1 month ago
PBGalvin,

Like T Cobe I am happy with the sound quality of the AVM60. That being said, it is not as "refined" of a piece of equipment as your Marantz likely is. Anthem products are buggy and their solutions to the bugs come around a little slower than Marantz.

I owned the Marantz 8802A prior to the AVM 60 and I much prefer the sound quality of the Anthem processor with my GoldenEar speakers over that of the flagship Marantz processor. The Marantz does great things, however it's room correction solution (Audyssey) can not stand up to Anthem's ARC. ARC is a much more robust and capable solution and provides the user insight in the form of graphs so you can see what is actually happening in your room. With Audyssey you run it but have no idea what it is doing.

If you can get past the Anthem's "quirks", the sound quality should impress.

I should note, not all AVM60 owners experience bugs, it is just my personal experience with the processor that things don't always go as smoothly as I'd like. For me, it is primarily an HDMI issue that the Marantz never manifested.

You might also want to consider waiting as both the AVM60 and Marantz 8802a are getting up there in their life cycles and replacement products might be in the pipeline for both processors over the next year.

Oh, and T Cobe is right on the money when he mentioned how impressive the SuperCenter XXL is! Personally, having gone through a lot of AV upgrades over the past couple of years, upgrading to GoldenEar speakers has always been a much more significant improvement to sound quality than any amp or processor upgrade.

Be well,
John
7.2.4: Triton Ref Towers (L/R), SuperCenter XXL (C), SuperSat 3's (Surr), Triton 5 Towers (R Surr) & Invisa HTR 7000 x 4
Subwoofers: SVS SB16 x 2
Processor: Anthem AVM 60
Amp: Outlaw Audio 7700 & Emotiva Gen 3 (Ceiling)
Display: Epson 5040UB + Screen Innovations Series 7 Zero Edge Black Diamond 110"

• Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Lovin' GET T1s
Thanks folks.
Interesting about HDMI hiccups. Do need things to operate smoothly give that my wife and kids aren't as technical as me :-).
Yes I know Marantz is shipping a new reference receiver next year, but of course that will be high-priced for a while.
Didn't know that about Anthem. There is a used one for sale that has a 7 day return, so might take a chance on that one. Sounds like moving up from the 7701 should be quite a nice move.

I do have the SCXXL and agree it is outstanding.
2 channel -> GeT Ones.R, Rogue RP-7 pre, Kinki Studio B7 Monoblock amps fed by Oppo 105D, SonicTransport, OpticalRendu w/ 200,000 tracks, Rega RP8 w/ Garrott OPTIM S3 FGS Ruby + Sutherland 20/20 phono pre, PS Audio Powerplant 20

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 7 years 1 month ago
Hi Pbgalvin,
I just want to point out that there are more choices out there.
I know lots of the guys here seem to be fans of the Anthem, and I am sure there is nothing wrong with that.
I have the Emotiva XMC-1 and love it. I VERY much prefer its DIRAC room correction to anything Audyssey.
It is not buggy, has great sound quality and is very reasonably priced, made in America stuff.
Just to throw another opinion into the hat.
Have fun listening to different setups.
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

• Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Lovin' GET T1s
Thanks Wayne.
I had the Emotiva UMC-1 and all the pain that went with it. Reached out to them and they are only offering me $170 off of the XMC-1. I recall that folks that complained loudest at the time got much more than that so not overly happy with them. Guess I should have whined louder...
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back