file SuperSat 3 vs. Aon 2/3s for surrounds

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
T Cobe Posted 8 years 9 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by T Cobe. info_outline

KimchiHo wrote: Thank you Wayne and T Cobe! Thanks for the sound advice (pun intended :D)

Now I'm worried that I will audition them and hear a significant enough to want to get the bigger speakers haha

Might have to go with the 3 L/C/R channel setup to start with. I'm already stretching my budget with the Triton Ones -- I initially started with auditioning the Triton Sevens...and then I made the mistake of listening to the Fives and then the Ones, and now I have to get the Ones :P

Wayne, it's interesting that you feel that the XL will be sufficient...as you said, a lot of folks here can't stop praising the XXL. I am looking at this setup as my future-proof setup that I could potentially use for the rest of my life (if not for a good 20 years)...my last setup I used for 15+ years. So, I was just thinking about going balls out for the main speakers. Per your advice on the surrounds, I should just go listen to the XXL -- I only listened to the XL as my dealer didn't have any to demo at the time. The XXL is pretty massive...

T Cobe, did you ever end up upgrading to the XXL? Would love to know if you were able to do a comparison with the XL, and if you have any thoughts there.

Thanks guys!

KimchiHo,

My journey started out very much like yours. I didn't intend to buy the T1s but once I listened to them, I was entranced. I started out with Aon 3s and SCXL in a L/C/R configuration while I saved for my T1s. I have not upgraded or even listened to the SCXXL yet, but that is my eventual goal. I have other things to sort out first. Rick upgraded from the SCXL to the XXL and has posted his impressions. Needless to say, they are extremely favorable and if I were starting out, I wouldn't hesitate to go with the XXL. It's a little less vital if you already have the XL and have to pay a full 1,200 to upgrade versus 400.

I will say that with time and some changes in my setup, my SCXL sounds better than ever. It is a great center and I'm sure you would be happy with it as long as you don't audition the SCXXL (just like what happened when you listened to the T1s). :) Happy hunting and please report back!

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 9 months ago
YES Moderator Dude,
Get all the bass you can get into the room!!!!! ha ha
Actually I only have one sub, the FF5.
BUT I have the LFE tied into both the T 2s subs and the T 3s subs. So it is sorta a 7.5 system.
I am not bragging, I still need more bass, not sure I will ever get there.
Enjoy putting together the best sound system you can, and that starts with auditioning speakers and components in the store.
And trusting your ears.
And, honestly, some compromises are required when you are on a budget like most of us usually are.
All the best,
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

• KimchiHo's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 22
KimchiHo Posted 8 years 9 months ago
Thanks again guys.

The more I think about it (without auditioning), I might decide to wait on the surrounds until I have more room for proper surrounds placement. If I like the Aon 3s, I'm pretty sure I will be tempted to get the Triton Sevens because of the nominal cost difference ($1000 vs $1400).

The stresses of life...

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 9 months ago
KimchiHo,

Yeah, see what you like and if you have room for floor speakers, the T7s would be great! In my various GET auditions, I found the T7s and the SCXL to be a perfect match. That, with the T1s, would provide a pretty amazing home theater experience! Let us know what you find.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 9 months ago
Hi KimchiHo,
I agree as always with what T. Cobe said, and I think you are really on the right track.
Actually, IF you were gonna have to put the Aons on stands instead of the wall, then (because good stands are NOT cheap) the price of the T 7s makes a LOT of sense. And they sound GREAT!!!!! And they can be used in other rooms if needed. Or other systems.
The T 7s are very musical, very versatile speakers. As much as I love the Aons, the T 7s are just better.
Take a little time, save up for them and I am SURE you will NOT regret it!!!!!
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.

• KimchiHo's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 22
KimchiHo Posted 8 years 9 months ago
Awesome, thanks guys. I think I have a gameplan!

Will report back!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice SuperSat 3 vs. Aon 2/3s for surrounds