file SuperSat 3 vs. Aon 2/3s for surrounds

• KimchiHo's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 22
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
KimchiHo Posted 8 years 9 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by KimchiHo. info_outline
Hey guys,

So, I'm about to take the plunge and order a pair of Triton One's and a SC XL or XXL to put together my next home theater setup.

I'm having trouble deciding on which surround speakers to get...the SuperSat 3's or the Aon 2's or the Aon 3's. Obviously, the Aons have greater low-end extension, but the SuperSat 3's are cheaper and easier to place.

So, the following questions come to mind:

1) How do the dispersion characteristics differ between the SuperSat 3 vs. Aon 2 vs. Aon 3. I read in some review how the Aon 2's actually have wider dispersion than the Aon 3's.

2) Is there much content below 100Hz in movies for the surround channels?

Would love to hear your thoughts on these questions and an overall recommendation. Thanks all!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 9 months ago
Hi KimchiHo,
Congrats on getting a REALLY great system for your home theater!!!!!!
I am sure you are going to love it!!!!!
IMHO the SC XL will probably be all you will need, although many here LOVE and HIGHLY recommend the XXL.
As to your concern about how to mount the Aons vs the SSats, well, for sure the SSats will wall mount easier.
As to the sound, to me there is no comparison. I know the Moderator Dude disagrees with me, so he must have heard the SSats in a much better setup than I did, because for my ears the Aons are the way to go.
I cannot speak to the dispersion difference IF ANY between the Aon 2s and 3s, I cannot imagine there would be any difference. BUT the 3s do play a little lower and that is why I would want them.
I am actually using Triton 3s and T 7s for my surrounds and rears. BECAUSE, and you asked about this, the surround channels get full range sound!!!!!
Just depends on how you are going to use the surrounds.
IF you just want surround speakers to play some off screen effects, some bullets flying by, a door closing or someone in the Foley studio crinkling up a tin can to make it sound like a train just tore apart while you are watching a movie and you don't really care about the QUALITY of that sound anyway, you are too busy watching the screen......then the surround speakers are a place you can save money in your home theater. But you will be missing a LOT and missing an opportunity of making it really special.
I listen to surround music almost all the time I listen to music. Blu-ray concerts and SACDs in surround are a joy to me. And I can sit in the middle of a concert, some discs even place the speakers in 5 discrete channels surrounding me in my listening seat. A piano playing outta one speaker, violin in another, cello in another, etc.
Other music, like concerts may only have the audience sounds around me, and the ambiance of the hall or recording venue.
In any case, I REALLY enjoy the surround channels being full range. OK the sub can take up some of the slack on the rear channels, they don't have to play so deep, that is why I can easily see using the Aons on the sides/rear.
Don't take my word for it, because I know the wife may wonder why you found some weird and wonderful way to place the Aons on the wall or on a stand behind the sofa; go listen to music played through the SSats and the Aons, both the 2s and 3s. And decide for your self. IF they don't sound good for music, they will not be a great surround speaker. And the Aon 3s sound GREAT for music. For their size and cost they are awesome!!!!!
When you listen you may feel differently, so please try to audition them. Don't take my word for it, I am prejudiced.
Please let us know what you decide and how your theater comes out. As long as it is GEt speakers, you really cannot go wrong.
Have fun, God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 9 months ago
KimchiHo,

As Wayne has said, you have a great plan for your setup! T1s and a SuperCenter will give you a great front end. While no speaker will completely keep up with the T1s, the Aons will do a much better job than SSAT3s.

Surround music and new object based surround are both compelling arguments for more capable surround speakers. More than ever, full frequency surround information is making its way into movies. The recent Atmos mixes, even without the height speakers and just played in DTS-HD sound absolutely amazing and way different from movies in the past where surround speakers typically presented a little ambiance. With these greater demands, I believe a better speaker is a huge plus. If wall or stand mounting is an issue for your space, there are also in wall/ceiling options that are probably more capable than the SSATs as well.

I'm sure that the SSATs are great speakers and if you were putting a lifestyle system together, they would be great. You, however, are building a system with a set of T1s at the foundation. As Wayne has said, go to your local dealer and have a listen. All the recommendations in the world won't tell you what's best for you or what you will be happy with in your setup. If the SSATs are your preferred solution, go for it and don't look back.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, rjohn79395

• KimchiHo's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 22
KimchiHo Posted 8 years 9 months ago
Thank you Wayne and T Cobe! Thanks for the sound advice (pun intended :D)

Now I'm worried that I will audition them and hear a significant enough to want to get the bigger speakers haha

Might have to go with the 3 L/C/R channel setup to start with. I'm already stretching my budget with the Triton Ones -- I initially started with auditioning the Triton Sevens...and then I made the mistake of listening to the Fives and then the Ones, and now I have to get the Ones :P

Wayne, it's interesting that you feel that the XL will be sufficient...as you said, a lot of folks here can't stop praising the XXL. I am looking at this setup as my future-proof setup that I could potentially use for the rest of my life (if not for a good 20 years)...my last setup I used for 15+ years. So, I was just thinking about going balls out for the main speakers. Per your advice on the surrounds, I should just go listen to the XXL -- I only listened to the XL as my dealer didn't have any to demo at the time. The XXL is pretty massive...

T Cobe, did you ever end up upgrading to the XXL? Would love to know if you were able to do a comparison with the XL, and if you have any thoughts there.

Thanks guys!
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 8 years 9 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by Moderator. info_outline

T Cobe wrote: While no speaker will completely keep up with the T1s, the Aons will do a much better job than SSAT3s.

One could argue that the only right way to do it would be to have five or more Triton Ones, nine or more if we're doing Atmos (hanging them from the ceiling is going to be tough though). :)

Point is, Home Theater is all about making products that recreate the theater effect in a way that fits into the home. And this means no 100 lb speakers hanging from the ceiling - or in front of the TV - or all around us (although some of you have done exactly that, to great effect. Lucky you). Out of this need to "fit" came the beauty and simplicity of powered subwoofers and bass management. So, in fact, the SuperSat 3 (our most popular surround solution), when crossed over at 120-150 Hz, will most certainly "keep up" with the Triton Ones up front. Same applies to an Aon with a 80 Hz crossover.

Of course, one can argue, correctly, that the more full range speakers in the system means the sub(s) have less work to do, giving them (and the system) more dynamic range - especially when multiplied by 4, 6, or 8 channels worth of bass being added to the sub's "plate". (Simple answer there - get MORE subwoofers ... right Wayne?).

Others can argue that more full range effects speakers sound "better". This is a matter of preference and opinion, so I have nothing relevant to add other than to say buy what fits - if properly setup the result will be spectacular and will not leave you "wanting" for anything.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 9 months ago
Five Triton Ones, now that would be AMAZING!!! I'm not sure anyone here has posted their listening impressions of that setup. I'm not sure you could even find a dealer with this configuration. :laugh:

I think we all agree that KimchiHo needs to go out and listen to the various options first hand and select what works best. Any of the GET speakers will sound great: I have no doubts. We are splitting hairs on degrees of good. I'd be curious how a set of SSAT 3s would do against either Aon in a blind listening test with subwoofer support... I'd like to think I could hear a difference, but maybe I'm wrong.

One thing I do know is that I am very happy with my Aons as surrounds and I would certainly recommend them. To me, they strike a great balance between sound quality, frequency handling, and flexibility in placement. That's just my .02.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice SuperSat 3 vs. Aon 2/3s for surrounds