file Triton Room Size Guide

• jwb629's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 8
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
jwb629 Posted 8 years 9 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by jwb629. info_outline
Hello,
I'm new to the forum, but have read alot both on this forum and across the web. What I have not found was a simple outline of room size for each of the Triton's standing alone. Please note, that some people have very limited access to GE dealers, so testing in place is not always possible/practical (like me), so a blind sale is more likely.

Yes, I understand that every room is different with either content, size, dimensions, acoustic displacement, etc; and yes, I know that each of those those items critically affect acoustics. Also, each person has their own idea of what "great sound" actually sounds like. However what would really be great is a basic room size guide that was the model for each Triton's sound to fit into.

For example Andrew Robinson from Home Theater Review back in 2012 talked about his 400sq/ft testing room not working well with the T3, however once he moved them to his 200sq/ft room, they sounded great. Throughout this forum, countless people have offered their experience on room size and their Triton's, but it's very fractured, and with a with variance of opinions. Often when a post does offer dimensions, it is usually in comparing the Triton's with other components (surround sound), so again, it is very hard to find a center line just on the Triton's.

So, could you guys (Goldenear) offer a dummies guide/rule of thumb on each Triton's stand alone intended/optimum room size ranges? I am very sure that there will be overlap between each Triton on the top and bottom end, but I'm seeking the designers intention on room size to sound fill for each individual Triton.

Thanks for your help!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 9 months ago
jwb629,

Welcome to the forum! That's a good question. Hopefully our Moderator Dude can shed some light on this topic. From what I have read, room size and adequacy of speakers is a bit subjective as well. It may be more helpful to share with us your situation, specifically, for recommendations. What size room do you have, what type of electronics, planned use, listening preferences, etc.?

As far as I have always read, the only tower models with potential size concerns may be the T7s and T3s. At home auditions would certainly be a rarity but if you go to a GET dealer, they typically have several rooms for the demos. You could have them setup the speakers in a room most similar to yours. If you're considering buying the speakers without an audition, I would advise against it. While most GET speakers sound great to me, everybody's preferences are different. You really should get to a dealer to listen to the various offerings for yourself. My first experience was with the T3s in a less than optimal setup and I almost dismissed GET based on that first audition. That would have been unfortunate... Today, I am extremely happy with my GET speakers.

I hope we hear back from you and Mdoerator Dude on this subject. For what it's worth, I think you're on the right track. Happy hunting!

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

T Cobe,
Thanks for your response. I've had a chance to listen to the 7's and the 1's, however both were in different rooms, and the 1's in almost a 2 story foyer, so the sound was different. My wife and I were both amazed at the 7's, however she really wants to feel the bass when we crank it up, so we've taken them off the table. So, yes we have heard them, but the option to bring them home and test them would be challenging, not impossible, but not optimal either. Money is available, but I now live in a nation with 21% sales tax, so it goes much faster. We've changed our lifestyle, so this will be the last splurge of money for audio for the foreseeable future.

Not that I want to change the answer from GE, because having this info listed in one place would be very nice, but the system will go into 16' X 18' (288 sq/ft) living room, very high ceilings, hard floors, and two massively tall windows at the rear of the back 16' wall. We're still looking at furniture, but will add a 9' open bookshelf on one side and something similar on the other side to reduce the bounce on the walls. Couch will be centered about 8-10' from the TV wall. We will add some rugs, but it will remain a hard floor overall. The system will be 60/40 movies/music. Looking at the Cambridge CXU to play disc's and possibly the Peachtree 220 to drive the speakers. I'm going to attempt to use the CXU as the receiver and connect HDMI directly to the TV and run copper to the Peachtree and then on to the speakers. We will stream music as well, and will connect that directly to the Peachtree.

Thanks!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 9 months ago
jwb629,

I love that you're wife wants to feel the bass when you turn up the volume! That's awesome and you're quite lucky. I love bass: my wife...not so much.

Sounds like you have a pretty great space and some good electronics. Did you not like the sound of the T1s? If you want to feel the bass, your best bet is to go with the T2s or T1s unless you want to add an external sub. If you are good with an external sub, the T5s would be fantastic as well. Obviously, I'm biased and would recommend the T1s if they are within the budget. I'm not sure if you got a good audition based on your previous post but they really are a special speaker. I have a large space and plenty of bass with room to go on my gain knob. I have no doubts the T2s would do the same. It really is hard to go wrong.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, jwb629

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 9 months ago
Hi jwb629, and welcome to the forum.
T. Cobe has already given you some great advice, as he always does.
I cannot answer your original question as my experience is much too limited. I can say:
Come to Thailand!!!!!! 21% TAX, OUCH!!!!!!!
My room is of a similar size, I probably use my home theater more for movies than you do, unless you count blu-ray concerts as music, then perhaps about the same as you.
I have T 2s up front, T 3s as surrounds, with the SC X as my center channel. Then a pair of T 7s as rear surrounds with a ForceField 5 back there to fill in the bass. Because I am a bass head. BTW I totally agree with T. Cobe that is is a WONDERFUL thing to have a wife that wants to feel the bass!!!!! You are indeed blessed!!!!!!!
I would love to hear some Triton Ones in my room, and IF I had them, I probably would not need the sub.
Music and movies, especially concerts in surround sound are AWESOME in my home theater!!!!!! I am not bragging (well maybe I am but I don't mean to) I am just trying to give you some reference.
One more point to consider, and regular readers will go "here he goes again" because I say this all the time, BUT get the best speakers you can get right now!!!!! Because you will be listening to them, they will be giving you joy for YEARS to come!!!!! And perhaps in a completely different room, maybe different house, maybe different COUNTRY!!!!! Great speakers like the Triton Ones last a LONG time and will go anywhere with you!
They are what I would buy if I had it to do all over again, NO HESITATION!!!!! No worries about the room size, etc. Small room, play them softer, large room, play them louder.
Let us know what you decide and if we can help in any way, we love to help people spend their money, er, I mean, get a great system!!!!! ha ha
Have fun, enjoy the ride,
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe, jwb629

T. Cobe & Wayne,
As usual both your advice is sound and sage, and I thank you. Yes, I have an awesome wife! Clearly the T1's would be the best option, however that's $6300USD a pair, and I really cant drop that coin. 3 years ago, I would have laughed and bought it no questions, but now I cant.

Wayne, the wife and I love Thailand and we were looking at realty in Koh Samui back in 08'. Should have bought then! The wife spent a summer up in Chiang Mai and again, fell in love. If we can, we would love to make the move!

In the end, I'm not looking for affirmation on my set up, or even advice on the layout at this time, I will adapt and newer technology will come out. What I'm really looking for is the intended sound space for each Triton. I'm trying to narrow my search, save what money I can, and at the same time future proof my investment. Having a manufactures ideal sound space for each Triton would greatly help us make the right choice.

Thanks again!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice Triton Room Size Guide