file Triton one and two for not so good source?

• murphyslaw1978's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 337
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
murphyslaw1978 Posted 9 years 1 month ago
There are songs that just sound terrible, but they are good songs (Medeski, Martin & Wood - I Wanna Ride You is one that comes to mind). Then there are others, even at 320kbps that sound amazing (Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band - Rippin' n Runnin,' Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band - Life in the Bubble, Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band - Da Blues, and Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band - Backrow Politics to name a few).

The MMW sounds like it was recoded at 112 kbps MP3, and the others sound like CD-quality, even though they are played through the same 320kbps Spotify system.
7.1 today, moving to 7.1.4 tomorrow
(2) Triton Two - front mains
(1) Sat 60C - center
(2) Sat 50s - sides
(2) Sat 50s - rear
(2) DIY 18" Stereo Integrity subs, 1100w each
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 9 years 1 month ago
Gordon Goodwins Big Phat Band would probably sound good on 8-track. Love this band...ordered Act Your Age, Sunday afternoon...should complement Life in the Bubble, quite well.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• Elite Member
  • Elite Member

anthem wrote: Gordon Goodwins Big Phat Band would probably sound good on 8-track. Love this band...ordered Act Your Age, Sunday afternoon...should complement Life in the Bubble, quite well.

I just discovered them last week. And its funny that you mentioned 8-track, because I almost posted the same thing. The only reason why I didn't is because someone told me the other day that 8-track was a hi-fi platform. I was like...WHAT?! I had to do some research comparing reel to reel, cassette, and 8-track. I guess 8-track could sound pretty good compared to cassette in the early days of the 1970's, but over time, cassettes started to sound better over time until CDs came out.

Regardless, I recall the 8-track in my Grandmother's 1981 Cadillac, and man that thing sounded awful.
(1) Sat 60C - center
(2) Sat 50s - sides
(2) Sat 50s - rear
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, T Cobe

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 9 years 1 month ago
Memory Lane... Back in 1976 I use to rock out to Judas Priest (Sad Wings of Destiny), Ted Nugent, and Nazareth, on 8-track, in my 69 Chevelle...those were the days.

In 1977 I bought my first decent system: a Technics receiver, Pioneer 8-Track, and Cerwin Vega Speakers. I had a buddy that had a nice set up of his own ( don't remember brand names) he used a turntable as his source, but he actually preferred my system to his...go figure.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!

• Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by Moderator. info_outline

anthem wrote: Memory Lane... Back in 1976 I use to rock out to Judas Priest (Sad Wings of Destiny), Ted Nugent, and Nazareth, on 8-track, in my 69 Chevelle...those were the days.

Considering that tape would have been the first real solution for car audio besides radio, I can see what you mean by 'those were the days"

anthem wrote: In 1977 I bought my first decent system: a Technics receiver, Pioneer 8-Track, and Cerwin Vega Speakers. I had a buddy that had a nice set up of his own ( don't remember brand names) he used a turntable as his source, but he actually preferred my system to his...go figure.

I remember hearing a really high quality cassette system and couldn't believe my ears. Indistinguishable from CD in that specific example. So I can see a case where 8-track could sound better than a cheap phono.

Tying this back to the original thread, playing low-quality source material that sounds like it was recorded in a bathtub under water, regardless of hardware to play it on, doesn't really sound great on GE systems. The source tends to come out the same way as it came in, which is a good thing.
(1) Sat 60C - center
(2) Sat 50s - sides
(2) Sat 50s - rear

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice Triton one and two for not so good source?