file Triton one and two for not so good source?

• Mani's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 12
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Mani Posted 9 years 1 month ago
BTW, do these speakers make not so good source worse? I listen to some old indian songs which are rarely in any HQ format. Most are in youtube downloads or itunes/spotify. Rarely in CDs or DVDs (newer ones maybe).

Of course will be watching all streaming movies as well.

Will I do justice buying the speakers? Or are they better for good source and CD/DVD movies and songs?
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 1 month ago
Hey Mani,
Me again, sorry. The better the source, the better the sound out of your speakers. The Tritons are not going to make crap input sound like gold coming out. They will make poor sources sound AS GOOD AS THEY CAN!!!!!!
But hopefully in the future you can upgrade your source material too, and then I can promise you, the sound will reward you greatly!!!!!
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe, aribraun

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 9 years 1 month ago
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by T Cobe. info_outline
Mani,

Great input here on the forum from Wayne, Dark, Rick, and the others. The Triton towers sound great but will definitely reproduce what you feed them. In fact, I have found flaws in recordings that I was not previously aware of and these are recordings I have listened to a LOT. I don't see this as a weakness but rather, a strength. Unless you are a really critical listener, it shouldn't bother you. What I will warn you about is that you will probably spend more money on source equipment and music once you hear just how GOOD it can sound.

Regarding a subwoofers, you definitely don't need a sub with the Triton Ones. I suspect I would be similarly happy with the Twos since I have a lot of headroom with my Ones. I have my T1 subs calibrated 5 dB high and I have the gain knob set at 13:00 and the receiver at -9.0 on the sub channels. I did recently add my old Paradigm sub back into the mix of better dispersion by placing it behind my primary listening position. I have really been happy with the results but it was certainly not needed. You should be able to save money by not buying a subwoofer to accompany the powered towers but if you decide later that you want more bass and LFE, you can always add a sub.

In regards to cost and which model to choose, that's going To come down to you. Nobody knows your budget and listening preferences better than you do. It is definitely best to go and listen for yourself. Based on your descriptions of use, I would recommend the Triton Twos but that is simply my opinion. The price jump between the two is steep ($2000) and if you are not a critical listener with a lot of supporting equipment and media, the increase may not be worth it. I went back and forth between the two for a while and ended up with the Triton Ones. I couldn't get away from them once I heard them in action. It took me a few months to save up the funds to buy them and for me, it was totally worth it.

Good luck with your audition. Take you favorite music with you and enjoy! Please let us know how it goes and what you decide.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem, rjohn79395

• murphyslaw1978's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 337
murphyslaw1978 Posted 9 years 1 month ago

Mani wrote: BTW, do these speakers make not so good source worse? I listen to some old indian songs which are rarely in any HQ format. Most are in youtube downloads or itunes/spotify. Rarely in CDs or DVDs (newer ones maybe).

Of course will be watching all streaming movies as well.

Will I do justice buying the speakers? Or are they better for good source and CD/DVD movies and songs?

I find that the problem so much isn't listening to the poorly recorded source material when comparing Tritons to just regular speakers. It's when you listen to a really good recording and then go back to the poorly recorded source. I thought, for example, something was wrong with my system after switching to a known heavy metal song. But in fact, the source was right on, and so was my system.
7.1 today, moving to 7.1.4 tomorrow
(2) Triton Two - front mains
(1) Sat 60C - center
(2) Sat 50s - sides
(2) Sat 50s - rear
(2) DIY 18" Stereo Integrity subs, 1100w each
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• murphyslaw1978's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 337
murphyslaw1978 Posted 9 years 1 month ago
I was listening to Coldplay from Spotify premium (320kbps) on my Triton Twos and was disappointed a bit in general on the sound. So I dug up a CD version, and sounded better, but still sounded compressed and distorted a bit. I've seen Coldplay in concert a couple times, and the CD recordings have content that makes me question how much is present in the recording versus compressed. It turns out, I believe, any distortion, a bit of glare, and compression is actually in the recording itself.

However, i wasn't sure which files I have a really the better quality. So I found this neat free utility online and installed it to compare two different files: spectro.enpts.com/.

I compared a FLAC rip I found online versus the FLAC that I created my my own CD:

Image 1 shows Coldplay - Speed of Sound FLAC ripped from my own CD - 964kbps, 48khz sampling rate, true stereo
Image 2 shows Coldplay - Speed of Sound FLAC sourced from another CD rip - 256kbps, 44kHz sampling, joint stereo

As you can tell from the two images there's quite a difference between the two files. I'm not saying that one is going to sound much better than the other, because that depends on a lot of factors. But at least I can now compare files to see which ones are uniquely converted from a good source and which ones are not.

7.1 today, moving to 7.1.4 tomorrow
(2) Triton Two - front mains
(1) Sat 60C - center
(2) Sat 50s - sides
(2) Sat 50s - rear
(2) DIY 18" Stereo Integrity subs, 1100w each
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 9 years 1 month ago
www.stereophile.com/content/tin-eared-am...#vVzBxj7iSPkCRUhs.97

Murphy,

An interesting article that may relate to what you're discussing with recording quality... It is hard to find well recorded popular music. The Triton Ones really have me thirsting for quality recordings and articles like this definitely get my dander up.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice Triton one and two for not so good source?