file Need advice on a 5.2.4 system

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
T Cobe Posted 9 years 1 month ago
Murphy,

Haha, spoken like a true audiophile and a man after my own heart. Protect the speakers! :laugh:

I think Sujith was talking child safety but I may be mistaken. The Triton towers are a bit narrow at the base. I get nervous when my canine friends frolic in the theater. I don't think it would take much to knock them over. In that case I would be worried about damaging the speaker and someone getting hurt. Behind a screen would be ideal for both.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, kingofhearts

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• murphyslaw1978's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 337
murphyslaw1978 Posted 9 years 1 month ago

T Cobe wrote: ...I think Sujith was talking child safety but I may be mistaken...

Lol, whoops! Yeah, I thought he was talking about the speakers! I also have two smaller kids - a 3.5 yr girl and a 2-yr old boy, and they are always running around the room, playing near the speakers, etc. So far, they haven't damaged anything. They've bumped into them once or twice. I'm using the spikes on the towers and they appear quite stable, but you're right, child safely is way more important.

That said, for these larger theaters like the one at ABT electronics - it's a $500k theater - they have everything built-in. Now, I think there's possibly some downsides by placing speakers in any sort of restrictive cabinet, or behind a screen that hasn't been designed for audio, but on the other hand, a lot of pro theaters have the front soundstage hidden from view. The other consideration is with the height of the sides and rear - wouldn't those be elevated enough to be out of reach? If protrusions from the wall are an issue, the SuperSats might be a good choice as they stick out only a couple of inches. I have these on my wall and my kids have yet to collide with them. If they do, they don't appear to weigh enough for it to be a real bad accident.
7.1 today, moving to 7.1.4 tomorrow
(2) Triton Two - front mains
(1) Sat 60C - center
(2) Sat 50s - sides
(2) Sat 50s - rear
(2) DIY 18" Stereo Integrity subs, 1100w each
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe, kingofhearts

• kingofhearts's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 6
kingofhearts Posted 9 years 1 month ago
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by kingofhearts. info_outline
LOL! Yes, I was thinking more of child safety, though speaker safety is certainly important ;)

Clearly, everyone here has wonderful things to say about the Triton towers. I'm now strongly considering using them as my L and R speakers. If I went with Tritons, I'd probably lean toward a Triton Five.

Does anyone have any experiences with the SuperSat 60?

FYI, I am planning to use an acoustically transparent projector screen.

Thanks again everyone for your advice. I can't wait to see the specs on the SuperSub !!!

Sujith
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• murphyslaw1978's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 337
murphyslaw1978 Posted 9 years 1 month ago
It could be because the Triton 5s are pretty new? I have a SuperSat60 center that I like.
7.1 today, moving to 7.1.4 tomorrow
(2) Triton Two - front mains
(1) Sat 60C - center
(2) Sat 50s - sides
(2) Sat 50s - rear
(2) DIY 18" Stereo Integrity subs, 1100w each
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe, kingofhearts

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice Need advice on a 5.2.4 system