file Need advice on a 5.2.4 system

• kingofhearts's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 6
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
kingofhearts Posted 9 years 1 month ago
Hey everyone. I'm new to the GE forums, though I've been a HT enthusiast for ~20 years.

I'm planning to finish our basement in early 2016. My goal is to have a home theater that will seat 12 people, with a 120-150 inch screen and a 4K projector (probably Sony VPL-VW600ES). I have not settled on a specific room size as of yet.

I would like to have a Dolby Atmos system with compatibility for DTS:X and Auro 3D in the future. I've tentatively settled on a Yamaha RX-A3050 receiver.

I was hoping to get your advice on the following 5.2.4 speaker setup:
SuperCenter XXL X 1 for center
Aon 3 (or SuperSat 60) X 4 for R, L, RS, LS
ForceField 5 X 2 for subs
Invisa HTR 7000 X 4 for Atmos in-ceilings

The specific questions I had were:
1. Do my choices seem appropriate for their positions?
2. Would you recommend the Aon 3 or SuperSat 60 for the R,L, RS, LS positions?
3. Any feedback on the non GoldenEar items in the system?

Thanks for your insight!
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 1 month ago
Hi Kingofhearts,
Welcome to the fourm, we hope you will like it here and contribute. We do not have many (any?) who have completed an Atmos+ system that I know of. So we welcome all comments and questions, and look forward to hearing from your experience.
Just from a traditional home theater (7.1) person, I think the speakers you have chosen will sound great! IF you could go with any of the towers like the Triton Ones, on down to the T7s, for front left and right, I think they could sound a "some" better but that depends as much on your budget as anything else. [And whether or not you intend any 2-channel music listening instead of just movie use?]
Really I would say what you are looking at sounds like a great plan. Personally, and this is just my good experience with Marantz and lack of experience with Yamaha, I would recommend at least auditioning a Marantz receiver before you buy. I just think it might sound a bit more warm and musical. But what do I know?
We look forward to hearing more, please keep in touch.
And have fun with the project,
God Bless, Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe, kingofhearts

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 9 years 1 month ago
Kingofhearts,

I agree 100% with Wayne here and would highly recommend Triton towers for your R and L mains. You will have a large space based on your description and the larger towers will do a bit better at filling the space with sound. If you budget is tight, you could go with Triton 7s and a SuperCenter XLfor the same price. Stepping up to the Triton 5 with the SuperCenterXXL would be sweet!

The Aon 3s are great and I love mine, but they were just not enough to fill my theater as the R/L speakers. In a smaller room...Absolutely! I used mine for a while until I could save up for the Triton Ones and then moved them to the surround channels. I will likely add two more to round out my 7 channel set up and later add the HTR 7000s for Atmos.

Please share your results and post some pics as you progress. Happy hunting!

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, kingofhearts

• kingofhearts's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 6
kingofhearts Posted 9 years 1 month ago
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by kingofhearts. info_outline
Wayne and T Cobe,

Thank you both for such a polite welcome to the forums! Thank you also for your advice.

My initial reluctance with going with Titans for mains is for two reasons:
1. I plan to have the subwoofers handle all of the low frequency work. In fact, if/when GET releases the supersub, I was thinking using two of them instead of the ForceField 5s. Thus, it seemed like overkill to go with any of the active Titan towers. However, the Titan 5 may be a reasonable option here, as it is passive. The comments about the Aon 3 not giving a big enough soundfield for mains is strongly noted.
2. My younger child is a very inquisitive toddler. I, and the wife, like the idea of wall or ceiling mounted speakers as it is less likely to get "hands on time" with the younger one.

What are your thoughts on the SuperSat 60 compared to the Aon 3? Does it fill a room better than the Aon 3?

I've heard great things about Marantz, though I've been a Yamaha guy for a long time. My only problem is that their best integrated receiver with HDMI 2.0a is the SR5010. This has all the features I would need, but lacks the power of the Yamaha RX-A3050 . When Marantz releases an SR7010, I might be tempted to switch over to the Marantz camp.

Finally, I should add that this system will be used almost exclusively for HT and gaming.

Thanks again,

Sujith
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 9 years 1 month ago
Thanks Sujith,
Good explanation. I do think sound wise you would be better off with the Tritons in the front, even the T7s or better yet, the T5s.
BUT children are more important than speakers!!!!
Just a thought, maybe not a good idea, but what if you get one FF5 now and roll. And then get the SS XXL when it is available. You will have bass now and even deeper, fuller bass then.
And go with a 5.2.4 system now?
AND in the future, when your young child is grown up some, you can go with Triton towers and move the Aon 3s to the rear (for 7.2.4) later, or to another system in a bedroom or someplace?
Just a suggestion.
Anyway, let us know how we can help and please keep us informed.
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe, kingofhearts

• murphyslaw1978's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 337
murphyslaw1978 Posted 9 years 1 month ago
Hi - welcome. One question: are you thinking about passing any sound through the screen? That's one way to keep the inquisitive kids out - keep the speakers out of sight. Or, you can hide the speakers behind some cloth. The sides, too. See attached example from ABT electronics in Glennview, IL.

My Triton Twos, as do many other towers, have a hard metal cage around the speakers, protecting them. The only thing that may get damaged is the sock or the base and either are replaceable.

One thing to think about with the bass is that you might want a subwoofer that isn't doing any bass limiting or filtering. I would agree that the SS XXLs might be best given your setup
7.1 today, moving to 7.1.4 tomorrow
(2) Triton Two - front mains
(1) Sat 60C - center
(2) Sat 50s - sides
(2) Sat 50s - rear
(2) DIY 18" Stereo Integrity subs, 1100w each
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe, kingofhearts

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice Need advice on a 5.2.4 system