file Triton 7 + FF4 vs only Triton 2

• sovamind's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 5
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
sovamind Posted 9 years 9 months ago
I just picked up a pair of Triton 7s and I am pretty happy with them (amazed really) in the mid and high response and blending. I'm pretty happy with the low response for rock and jazz, but it really is lacking for classical and electronic music. I mainly got these speakers for listening to music, however, they are connected to a home theater system and used that way as well.

I could probably spend a little more to be happier with my setup. So, I'm wondering if I should take them back and trade up to some Triton 2s or if I should pick up a ForceField 4 to help out. Another alternative might even be just to setup up to Triton 3s, but I forsee eventually wanting to own a pair of Triton 2s anyway. I made a list of the pro/cons I came up with but my dealer doesn't have a Triton 7 + FF4 setup for me to listen to and I'm looking for advice. The listening room is small, approx. 300 sq/ft, but I hope to move into a 500 sq/ft space in the future. Again, the main use is music with a secondary use for movies.

T7 + FF4 ($1400+$700=$2100)
Pros
- sub probably fills room better
- sub can be placed in best position for bass
- $700 cheaper
Cons
- sound not as good / tight?
- If I later separate music and HT systems than the T7s not as useful for home theater?

T2s ($3000!)
Pros
- better speakers all around, music should be pure joy
- better if I later separate music and HT systems
Cons
- costs $700 more
- placement issues?
- not as much bass for movies?

(Also my dealer told me that no one sells GoldenEar for anything other than MSRP. In short they would not deal on price at all. However, I'm hearing people talk about 'sales' and better pricing than I got so I'm wondering if my dealer is screwing me. Not happy to hear about this at all since I just got them 2 days ago.)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 9 years 9 months ago
Last edit: 9 years 9 months ago by Moderator. info_outline
Hi, thanks for your purchase. I replied in your other post as well (same, but different I guess).

A pair of Triton Twos will have more bass output capabilities and extension than a single ForceField 4, otherwise your summary of pros and cons looks pretty spot on. The Triton Seven is intended to be used with a competent subwoofer(s) in a home theater system, stand alone should be fine for ANY music (within the limitations of a speaker of this size and cost).

Pricing is up to the individual dealer, and most all dealers give "deals" on system purchases and the like. The GoldenEar speakers are not over-priced (if anything they are a tremendous bargain) and the profit margins are such that it would be very foolish for a dealer to offer any kind of significant discount on them (unless they are on their way out of business...).
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Actually, not all music can be played on my Triton 7s. I'm finding that electronic music that reaches down below 40hz doesn't play well at all and the bass is muddy. Here is a good example album: www.ektoplazm.com/free-music/hypnagog-dreaming-in-pieces-ep

Probably not the speaker. You did not mention your electronics in your post, what AVR or Pre/Pro+amp are you using?

Well I took back the Triton 7s to my dealer and they gave me a great deal on a pair of new Triton 2s! The issue was the speakers and not the music because I'm listening to the same tracks on the same amplifier and the difference is very substantial. The T7s just were not able to reach below 40hz very well.

I am still worried about the quality of my amplifier at this point but already spent more than I was hoping to on speakers. I'll maybe have to revisit my amplifier and preamp at a later time. Although there is someone with a NAD Stereo Amplifier C 326BEE locally asking $280. I'm assuming that would be a big step up from my Onkyo TX-NR807 home theater receiver but I'm not sure it is worth the money. Plus having two integrated amplifiers would make using the Tritons for watching movies difficult. I'm probably better off just finding a separate high quality stereo amplifier and taking the preamp outputs from my AVR into the new amp for better integration.

Last edit: 9 years 9 months ago by Moderator. info_outline
Very glad you are happy with the Triton Twos, that was a good solution to the problem, which was and still is your amplifier. Fortunately the Triton Two's have a built in amplifier to handle the bass, basically eliminating the problem caused by the inadequate electronics. Just wanted to clarify that for others who may reach the same incorrect conclusion. Enjoy your Triton Twos, they are amazing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ryan Gadz

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice Triton 7 + FF4 vs only Triton 2