file Suggestions for new home theater

• scottyfree111's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 2
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
scottyfree111 Posted 10 years 4 months ago
Hello everyone!! I'm new to this forum and need some advice. Considering Triton 2's or 3's because my wife doesn't want sub(s) if that can be avoided. The room is only 12X16 ft with an open area to the right as we face the equipment from our sofa located along the back wall. I already have Def Tech UIW RSS II ceiling mounted rear channels installed. Also would like to know if I should get Supersat 50C or 60C, or the Super Center X or XL for center channel. I was considering the Triton 7's with my Hsu sub, but am intrigued by the idea of dual subs integrated with the 2's or 3's.

I like lots of bass slam during movies and wondering if how much I'm going to miss that if the HSU sub is taken out of the mix. Also, I've got roxul sound absorbing insulation behind the drywall and under the hardwood floor, but am worried about too much bass energy should I opt for the Trition 2's. Perhaps I'll be able to control bass management when the Emotiva XMC-1 finally arrives. My amp is the Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 10 years 4 months ago
Hello and welcome Scottyfree111,
I own a pair of Triton 2s and a pair of Triton 3s. They are both great speakers. Wonderful.
I also love bass. So I gave my comment in another place. IMHO the Triton 7s will not give enough bass to do without a sub.
Especially for movies.
I would recommend the Triton 2s simply because I would say, get the best speaker you can, and the most bass. IF you are considering giving up the sub in the home theater, then you will need the T2s IMHO.
I listen to the T3s for chamber music, solo vocals, etc.
For home theater and big music, I listen to the T2s.
You are looking in the right place and asking the right questions.
You are gonna have a wonderful sound system if you stay with GoldenEars.
Enjoy, happy listening for whatever you get, and please let us know. Thanks.
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.

Thanks Wayne-probably going with the 2's. Hoping I can tame the bass with the 2's controls as well as the extensive bass management capabilities of the XMC-1.

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 10 years 4 months ago
If you like bass, I'd go with the Triton 2's and keep the HSU sub in your setup. As for center channel speaker selection any of the GE centers would be a good choice. Personal preference... I'd go with a X or XL and third choose would be a 60C.

Are you on the list for the XMC-1...if not, you may be in for a long wait.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!

I've been on the list for the XMC-1 for awhile now but I can use my Yamaha RX-A820 as the preamp until the XMC-1 gets shipped. Also thinking about just running an Oppo 105d into the XPA-5, but fear I may really need bass management in such a smallish room.
Thanks for your input on the center channel as I really don't have a clue which would be best. X or XL looks the most likely. I've got a 60 inch Panny Plasma wall mounted and will build a custom shelf under it for whichever I choose.

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 10 years 4 months ago
If you run the Oppo 105 directly into the XPA-5 the Oppo 105 will have all the bass management you'll ever need.

You say your TV is wall mounted... the 60C is wall mountable...you could keep the wall-mount theme going and at the same time please the wife.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: scottyfree111

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice Suggestions for new home theater