file Prospective Triton Seven owner - fidelity for 2.0?

• ultralight's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 4
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
ultralight Posted 10 years 6 months ago
Moderator, hope this query is OK. If not, please just PM me and delete.

2nd post in this forum. Very serious interest in the Triton Seven but I can't audition at home and hard to find a dealer to listen in an environment similar to mine so I'm limited to doing research. The one time I heard it on easy vocal pieces driven by tubes was very impressive - strong warm presence but I did not run challenging pieces through it.

Currently on a pair of Martin Logan ESL. Panel 500hz and above is very fast, clear, airy, razor sharp imaging, NON fatiguing, beautiful with tube amps etc. Even at very low volume (50db peak), all the details are still beautifully rendered/communicated which is impressive. 500hz below is cone. Good effect, but not exactly a full match to the panels but not objectionable. Excellent speakers and the raves are well deserved.

But I am looking at Triton Seven because I do not like Martin Logan's beamy nature where only one person will get the full effect. The sweetspot is very narrow. Also, its bass is down to above 40hz while the Triton Seven are supposedly flat to about 35 hz per one of the magazine measurements. (I wish it was truly down below 30hz - that would be amazing.)

So today, I went to audition a previous design that the Triton came out of just because they are much more accessible at a major chain- the Definitive Technology 8060 and 8040. They also had a pair of the Martin Logan ESL in the same room, same source, same electronics etc. It was not even close. The 8060 and 8040 sounds like decent HT speakers, but not for music. (8040 actually sounded more open/airier by the way - probably due to better dispersion from its smaller drivers.) It lacked focus, definition, timbre, imaging etc. Both of the well informed consultants agreed. They were not in the same ballpark. We were listening to Beethoven 5th.

For 2.0 music, is the Triton 7 also in a whole huge step up from the DefTech 8060 and 8040? I am thinking in terms of timbre, speed, imaging precision. If it is small step, then I won't worry about.

On paper, I like the fact that the Triton 7 is producing most of the octaves of music using the two mids in a MTM structure, and the remaining less than 3 octaves are from the tweeters.

Anyways, in short, are the Triton 7 much better than the 8060 AND 8040 for music? I am not purchasing for home theater use.

By the way, I am comparing the Triton 7 and Martin Logan ESL because both will cost in similar price ranges in spite of their differiing suggested retail.

Thanks,
UL

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 10 years 6 months ago
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by Moderator. info_outline
No worries, everything is good here (except maybe some of anthem's jokes). You're not going to get any direct comparisons from me, but certainly other forum members may have an opinion.

Your local dealer should be able to demo the speaker in a fashion (with electronics and music of your choosing) that allows you to make a well informed decision. Not too many dealers allow in-home audition, but most offer 30 day exchange or upgrade options. Of course, all of that is up to the individual dealer. The Triton Seven is a watershed product (I believe a forum post by SanthoshEapen?), there hasn't been a product so universally acclaimed since, well, the Triton Two.

I think every music lover and audiophile has had a love affair with electrostatic speakers, myself included. I owned them starting all the way back into the 80's, and again in the late 90's. Back then I used to listen to music sitting on the couch, with my wife, in the middle/front of the speakers. I don't do that anymore, although I still have a stereo. Its in the living room, and the Triton Twos sound great all over the room, for everyone. Electrostatic speakers, especially full-range ones, are really the ideal transducer... except for that whole (poor) dispersion thing you mentioned, and (large) size thing, and that (low) efficiency thing, and high cost thing.
:)

The folded Ribbon tweeter is the most elegant implementation yet to solve the problems, and keep the virtues, of the electrostatic speaker. A properly setup pair of Tritons will create a huge, transparent and detailed soundstage with amazing imaging precision, spectacular low level resolution and low distortion ... for many listeners in the room, and with modest power requirements, and at a much reduced cost (typically). Oh yeah, and with a heap of good bass energy.

The Triton Sevens are the result of the latest technologies, employed with experienced yet innovative design (GoldenEar was voted the #1 Speaker Company for Product Innovation in 2013, as reported in the results of an industry-leading specialty audio dealers survey). The other speakers you're comparing are not. (Sorry, domes are dead, to massage a press quote from the 2010 introduction of the GoldenEar product line.)

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 10 years 6 months ago
Except maybe some of Anthem's jokes....seriously?
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!

My bad, must be Wayne's jokes I'm thinking of... :)

Or was it MOBrien's maybe??
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 10 years 6 months ago
MOBrien, have you been telling bad jokes lately? Actually, I thought they were quite good...my wife even laughed. Moderator I'll forgive your "senior moment".
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Buying Advice Prospective Triton Seven owner - fidelity for 2.0?