file Power regulator and hookup suggestions for Tritons

• AlmightyTallest's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 4
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
AlmightyTallest Posted 7 years 6 months ago
Hi Everyone,

Looking forward to upgrading to the Triton Reference, but wanted to know if what I've selected so far would work well.

The system will be in a dedicated listening room 12'x 25' with 11' ceiling. Tritons will be about 10 feet apart with 2 feet behind and to the side of them. Towed in toward the center of the room.

Power is on a dedicated 15A line, with other lines taking care of heating/cooling, lights, etc. for the room.

I wanted to put the system on a Furman 15PFI which has the following arrangement on the backside: https://www.crutchfield.com/S-mTJE92YOxE1/p_756ELT15PF/Furman-Elite-15-PFi.html#&gid=1&pid=2

Wanted to know if the Triton Reference Towers should each go into the dedicated Amplifier outlets, either the switched delay on or unswitched?

The amplifier is a PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium HP, should that also go on the dedicated Amp outlet on the Furman, switched delay on or unswitched?

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5787c6c82994ca7e8499335c/5796eb0ae6f2e187da37a5bd/57f5373de3df2843ad4afb25/1475688266438/DP_HP_INT_9.jpg?format=1000w

Player will be the Sony HAP-Z1ES, where should it plug in for the best result?

Any suggestions on other equipment will be appreciated, just trying to get everything sourced and sorted out before plunging into a set of Triton References for the room later this year. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 879
GDHAL Posted 7 years 6 months ago
Hello AlmightyTallest and welcome to the forum.

I had my T1s, and will do the same for the TR, on a switched "high current" outlet. Specifically:

Dedicated (separate breaker) 20 AMP wall outlet >>> Emotiva CMX-2 >>> Panamax MR4300 >>> all audio and video equipment

Panamax and Furman are manufactured by the same parent company, Core Brands.

While you will have the option of connecting to the un-switched outlets, in that case the TR will always draw some power, albeit minimal when idle. My personal opinion is they are better off completely powered off when not in use. Also, I do not cut power to them while they are in active standby.

As you will also have the option to connect to the audio-video outlets, I suspect only the amplifier outlets are high-current. And while the TR may not always draw high current, I would think it is "higher" with respect to other gear (besides the amp) than various source components.

Best of luck with your setup. :)
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
halr.x10.mx/TritonReference.htm ; halr.x10.mx/other.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: AlmightyTallest

Thanks for the suggestions GDHAL, I like the setup you have with the Emotiva CMX-2 coupled with the Panamax MR4300, lower cost and something I had not considered.

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
You're welcome AlmightyTallest. I've been happy with my power conditioning results. Fortunately I have good power even without any conditioning, so I didn't feel the need for anything elaborate in that regard.

The Emotiva offers a DC filter which is somewhat unique as that functionality is not so easy to come by. The Panamax offers some degree of surge protection, over and under voltage protection, voltage level monitor, switched outlets. Both offer noise/rfi/emi filter. And you're right, it was implemented at relatively low cost ($349 combined).

My room dimensions are similar to yours too. 12x25 feet with 12 foot ceilings. Speakers are 8 feet apart, 2 feet from back wall and 2 feet to the side. halr.x10.mx/AV.jpg
Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling

Hi GDAL,

Thanks again for that reference to the Emotiva and Panamax, I'm really thinking of switching over to that as my setup, your reasoning is sound to me :D. I think somewhere in these forums there was mention that elaborate power filters probably wouldn't make too much of a difference to the Tritons, my memory could be foggy on that too though as I've had to absorb a lot of info lol. Been trying to catch up by reading these forums for ideas before setting the room up.

Great photo of your listening space! I love it! I plan to have mine set up similar to yours, with the savings on the power hookups, I'm looking into investing into Bass Traps and other panels after the speakers arrive. My floor is wall to wall medium carpet so I guessing once I get the Tritons positioned I'll spike em into the carpet.

• GDHAL's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
And you are once again most welcome AlmightyTallest.

First, I'll have to apologize for unintentionally providing inaccurate information as to my ceiling height. It is 8 feet, not 12 as I originally indicated. I honestly don't know what I was thinking, or if I was thinking, when I wrote that. I can only chalk it off to the reason many call me "a dead head" :laugh: ;)

Back to the power conditioner, something to note is that technically my configuration voids the core brands warranty. They are adamant that any of their products be plugged directly into the wall. This includes plugging one of their products into one of their own products.

I chose to forgo the equipment warranty and frankly if a major storm rolls through I disconnect power all together as opposed to relying on any kind of surge or other protection.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Getting Started Basic Hookup and Wiring Questions Power regulator and hookup suggestions for Tritons