file Triton 5 Setup

• KevinRohrer's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 2
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
KevinRohrer Posted 7 years 8 months ago
I recently bought a Triton-5 system that replaced some other speakers, but kept my large subwoofer. I only use the separate Sub when viewing movies. Not having owned speakers before with built-in passive radiators, I am confused as to whether they are powered to levels below the 80hz crossover at either the Large or Small setting.

After having read the available material on these speakers, my question is this:
Are the T5's passive radiators working whether the speakers are set to Large or Small, or does the 80hz crossover I have them set at prevent the radiators from working at one size setting or the other? If they do not work when set to Small, then I imagine I need to set them to Large, so the radiators do the LFE work when the separate Sub is turned off. Ideally for me, I would leave the Sub off when watching normal TV and rely on the radiators for the LFE.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, HTSME

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 7 years 8 months ago
Yikes ... OK, let me try to help you understand a few things...

1) The fact the speaker has passive radiators makes it no different than any other speaker - it's just a design choice, as opposed to ports or acoustic suspension
2) LFE only goes to the powered subwoofer in your system (it comes out the jack on your receiver labeled LFE), it has nothing to do with the passive radiators
3) If you set the L/R main speakers to Large, all bass EXCEPT LFE (including all small speaker bass from the other channels) will be directed to the Triton Fives, not your subwoofer
4) Most people set their system up for use with all sources, not different for different sources, so the subwoofer would be used for all playback and all other speakers will be set to Small with appropriate crossover settings.

Given your understanding of all this, I would strongly suggest you let your dealer setup and configure your system for you so you can enjoy it to its full potential.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe, HTSME

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
ArthurDaniels Posted 7 years 8 months ago
Hi Kevin,

Check your AV Receiver's manual to learn a bit more about setting your speakers to Large or Small. In general, when the setting is Large, the complete spectrum of audio signals are sent down the speaker wires. If there is an LFE signal also present, then that signal is sent down the LFE cable.

When the speakers are set to Small, the receiver re-directs the low-frequency portion of the audio signal to the LFE output. Depending upon the receiver, there may be various cutoff options available to specify how the signals are divided. Many receivers also offer a "Double Bass" setting which, when turned ON, sends the entire signal to the speaker wires and also sends the low-frequency portion of those signals to the LFE output -- hence the Double Bass designation.

Learn what your receiver offers, then experiment with whatever options are available.

Happy listening,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 7 years 8 months ago
Hey Kevin,
Welcome to the forum, welcome to the wonderful world of GEt speakers that will provide you with awesome music!!!!
There have been a couple of good answers to your questions already. Are you getting there?
Reading up, experimentation and getting professional help are all good answers.
And we are here too if you have any further questions, if it is not working out where it sounds great. Because your system SHOULD sound great with Triton 5s and a sub.
Enjoy and ask for more help if you need it.
Don't be shy.
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, T Cobe

• Supered17's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 41
Supered17 Posted 6 years 3 months ago
What does one set the super center xl in a system with the Triton 5 to small since the center set to small provides clearer dialogue or do u set the center to large too with the fronts
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, HTSME

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 6 years 3 months ago
Hey Supered17,
You would set your SC XL to small (somewhere around 80 for the crossover) and let the rest of the sound lower than that go to the subwoofer. And if you are running it with T 5s or T 7s I would do the same, set them to small and 80 as well. Let the speakers handle what they do best and let the subwoofer do what it does best. That gives the speakers more "headroom" room to play or power to play the higher notes and more clarity as they are not trying to do something hard for them, play bass.
Don't get me wrong, the T 5s or T 7s can play bass, but they do not have a built in amp and bass section. And you have or are looking at a good subwoofer that is well capable to handle the bass.
Before you were asking about the T 7s, are you changing your mind and thinking now about the T 5s? I would, I would HIGHLY recommend the T 5s over the T 7s, they will give you more of everything.
You may have and enjoy these speakers for a very long time, if not for your life, so get the best you can afford.
Hope this helps,
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HTSME

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back