file Invisa SPS in false wall

• patrikr's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 0
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
patrikr Posted 4 years 7 months ago
Starting framing on my basement next week which will include a 14’x29’x9’ dedicated theater room. I’m planning a 140” wide AT screen and two rows of seating. I’m going with GoldenEar Invisa SPS as my LCR and was originally going to put dual subwoofers along the front wall, under the screen. The more I think about it though I would like to hide the subs if possible and as the room is very long I could build a 2-3’ false fall. That brings up the question of, except filling the space behind the false wall with some sort of insulation like Safe-n-Sound, do I need to do anything else to ensure good sound quality from the SPS speakers? I read another thread saying that anything larger than 3 cubit feet won’t impact sound quality but in this case, all three speakers will potentially leak sound into the same large cavity.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

The more I think about it, since I’m not doing a baffle wall and technically drywalling the entire false wall may cause terrible acoustics, maybe I should go with Triton Fives and just put them on either the floor or some shelves behind the AT screen?

• Bryan's Avatar Offline
Bryan Posted 4 years 7 months ago
Hello. I am building a similar theater, with 130 inch wide constant image height arrangement with AT screen, 2 rows of seating, and have similar decisions to make. I look forward to reading the moderator's response, as well as from any users who have any direct experience on this topic. Here's a few questions I have now...
1.) If I use three SPS speakers for LCR, can these be surface (wall) mounted behind the AT screen, or is a stud wall "enclosure" of some type required for best sound?
2.) What is the ideal size or volume of such an "enclosure?" I could configure this "enclosure" with some flexibility in my case,
3.) I also have the option of using three T-3's for LCR behind the screen, sitting close to the screen wall on some sort of shelf, and firing through the AT screen. Which of these two speaker types should sound the best in this application?
4.) As another option, I could move the L and R speakers outside the screen, either on the floor, or sitting on an open shelf in a custom made 24 inch x 24 inch (floor to ceiling) wood side cabinets. How degraded would the sound of the T-3's become in such side cabinets?
5.) If cabinets to hide the speakers becomes a WAF priority, does this drive my speaker decision strongly toward the SPS units?
Thanks for any advice.
Bryan

Hi Bryan,

In talking to my dealer, since I’ll be doing a false wall which won’t be dry walled, it’s just a frame to hold the screen and hide the speakers, I’m now leaning towards using Triton Two+ as my LCR up front and just putting them behind the screen. Very similar to what you’re thinking with the Triton Threes.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Invisa Series Invisa SPS in false wall