• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
rjohn79395 Posted 5 years 8 months ago
Hi again, Rustypep

What's going to be your prime listening position, front or second row?

I guess I'd install around maximizing the experience around the PLP in the 10-14' zone the Moderator Dude recommends, and keep the speakers fairly centered. If that means other seats will experience, say, some less than 10' distances from those speakers, the effect will also be pretty darn good.

My experience is that the 7000's and other GEt speakers perform their part in a pretty wide range of distances and listening environments.

The GEt sound envelope is very forgiving of small variances in how the speakers are used and installed. It will work just fine... you are asking all the right questions, and I believe you are heading for some goosebump raising listening!

Have fun and Happy Listening!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rustypep's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 6
rustypep Posted 5 years 8 months ago
Rick, I think my rear row will be my prime listening position for movies and music. So do you think I should push it back six inches to 10 feet. That is a little over 15’ to the front seats. I found the joists and I have more room than I thought to move forwards or back.

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
I'd say no harm in moving the speakers back another 6", (or in moving the seats a little forward instead?). Or even installing them at 9 1/2'. I don't think that 6" difference would be a deal breaker either way. I guess I'd play it safe and go the 10'. The 7000's have plenty of oomph to sound great in the front seats as well. If you do also have some latitude in moving the seats a little, you could do that also after installing the speakers if you felt you needed to fine tune listening positions some. But the sound envelope the GEt speakers create is pretty forgiving of small variances in speaker distances.

Have fun!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
48" SONY 4K OLED TV

Ok so last question. After marking the spots with 135 degree angles, I noticed these are still fairly wide apart at over 10 feet. So do you space these as you would for a normal 7.1 setup or because they are further back in a 7.1 setup should I move them closer together? I marked the ceiling and they are a little inside the mains. I marked a second spot another foot in that looks better when comparing to the Dolby diagram for two rows but that still puts the rear surrounds around 8.75 feet apart. Close to 10 feet from mlp and a little over 15 feet from the front row mlp. What do you think of slightly narrower position? The GE manual actually says to space 6-8 feet apart for 7.1 but the room is over 15 feet wide. Should I go even narrower, say 8 feet? Or what do you think of 8.75 feet apart? This is my final question. Ready to cut some holes. Thanks again for the help.

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
I guess I'd recommend lining them up about straight back from the outer sides of your left and right listening chairs, aimed at the PLP/center.

Rick
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator

Last edit: 5 years 8 months ago by rustypep. info_outline
Thanks Rick. Here is a picture to go with it. The chairs are set up basically where the end of the rows would be on the left. 3 seats in the front and four in the back with loveseat in the middle. Right now the laser is set up on my first guess for the rear surrounds. It needs to be moved forward some to get away from the joist. The piece of tape to the right would be the other option. I could also go split the difference I guess. The two strips of tape running horizontally right to left are the joists. The piece of tape hanging down on the far right is the electrical line which runs front to back in the picture across the joists to the can lights so trying to stay away from that and the can lights. I am standing under the last can light. The taped off screen is 160” but I am going 140” I think. Will be building in a baffle wall for acoustic treatments from the right six inches and will build them into the wall on the left with a hallway just outside that on the left. You can see where the rack is taped off on the top left of the picture. I am still thinking about the front wall. The bar is that single piece of tape running right to left at the back. If I don’t go with pushing the front wall back and constructing a front baffle wall I will likely use the new invista SPS inwalls behind the screen. Two young kids as you can see here and a little concerned about towers getting abused. You can see my old BA VR fronts here.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Invisa Series 7.1 placement of 7000’s as rear surrounds with 8 foot ceiling