question-circle Replacing Atlantic Technology with GoldenEar (re: in-ceiling surrounds)

• freality's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 8
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
freality Posted 6 years 7 months ago
Hello,

I currently have an Atlantic Technology 5.1 system in my big, open living room consisting of a passive LCR soundbar (FS-5000) and in-ceiling surrounds (IC-6.3).

Unfortunately, it is severely lacking in detail (very much evidenced by unintelligibly with dialog at any volume, regardless of EQ used). I plan to replace the soundbar with a fancy GE SuperCinema 3D Array XL which should be easy enough.

My problem lies with the in-ceiling surrounds: the current holes are 8" diameter, so my only GE option is to go with the Invisa HTR 7000 which has a 9" diameter cutout (the 650 & 652 are too small with a 7-1/8" diameter cutout).

The holes definitely aren't wide enough for someone expecting to have the angled 7000s hit ear-level, but honestly I don't mind that fact. Really, I just prefer to have diffuse/non-localized SL and SR "sound clouds" from the MLP (no worries at all if the surround sounds appear to originate from above).

Would I be pleased enough with the 7000s (i.e., would they give me enough of my desired "sound clouds") or would they sound too "weird" with my setup? My only other option would be to just keep the in-ceilings as-is and deal with a GE/AT tonal mis-match from the fronts.

*5.1 only
*No way I'm patching/moving the holes
*Layout (I only really care about the 3 "centered" MLP seats):

The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395, HTSME

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 6 years 7 months ago
Hi, Freality

Good questions.

Here’s my take on the suitability of HTR 7000’s for surrounds in your set-up (the 7000’s are great speakers by the way!):

I had a 5.1 set up earlier that used Invisa 525’s as surrounds, in a similar ceiling position to where you would have the 7000’s. They worked great. Nice sound envelope. Didn’t find the ceiling source to be one bit of a distraction.

Since you’re not going to have height speakers and will stick with a 5.1 system, I don’t foresee it being a problem that the 7000’s will be close in and won’t project at ear level. Keeping surrounds at ear level really became part of the concept of creating an Atmos type set up that added height channels also.

I think you’d love the SuperCinema 3D Array/HTR 7000 combo! Perfectly blended sound field. I think you’d find keeping the Atlantic Technology surrounds to be a tonal mismatch with your new GEt SuperCinema Array.

Just my opinion.

Good luck and enjoy your GEt’s!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth, freality

Thanks for the feedback, Rick! It's definitely a big decision to cut the holes bigger, so good to know my layout will still work with 7000s in your estimation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
Hi, Freality

Looking at your drawing, it appears that the 7000's would be about 9-10' apart or so?, outboard of and in back of the three listening positions you're most interested in. A pretty good location for surrounds in a 5.1 system. My 7000's, installed as front heights, are about 9' apart (and, as front heights, in front of the PLP).

I had some concerns, with the 30' angle of the 7000 speakers, that they might "beam" the sound toward the center sweet spot, and there would be some drop-off outboard of the center positions, so when I auditioned them, I listened to Invisa 525's like I already had as former surrounds, about to become top rears in a new role as heights, then the 7000"s, over and over. Would they play together, would the sweet spot be different and more central for the 7000's, etc. etc. Well, I walked back and forth from left to right listening to each pair. Voila! The 7000's were amazing speakers, AND, like front towers toed in toward the listener, the sweet spot was if anything bigger, better, wider. End of concerns about a narrow sweet spot. I installed them and have never looked back. They've just become part of the sound envelope, disappear into that gorgeous envelope like the other GEt speakers. Even sitting some outboard of the left 7000, the effect is still there.

Bottom line, I think you'd love having them as your new surrounds!!! And Yes, if you were starting over making ceiling holes, you might want to place them further out to have the sound presented nearer ear levels, but as I said earlier, I loved my 525's as ceiling surrounds in my first set up, didn't feel a bit deprived that that part of the sound was generated by ceiling speakers, in part because that sound envelope was so seamless among all the speakers. I'll bet you'll find that you'll stop thinking about, even noticing, exactly where your 7000's are positioned, because you'll be enjoying the heck out of the amazing bubble of sound created by the 3D Array and 7000's melding together.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, freality

Hey Rick! Thanks again so much for your insight and vote of confidence. You are hitting all of the terms I want to hear...enveloping/melding/disappearing! Exactly what I want.

Great observation of my layout...yes, I'd say the distance between cutout centers is about 10'. The ceiling height at that point (due to tray) is 9'-3".

I'm excited! I think it will be a worthwhile upgrade.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
I'm excited for you! You're gonna' love that set up!!!! Goosebump stuff.

P.S. are you running a sub with the current or proposed GEt set-up?

Rick
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: freality

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Invisa Series Replacing Atlantic Technology with GoldenEar (re: in-ceiling surrounds)