file Speaker location help for basement remodel

• Rich Sound's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 5
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Rich Sound Posted 7 years 3 months ago
I'm prewiring for a 7.2.4 setup. I have attached a layout with what I think I may do for speaker placement. However, I'm not sure about the best location for the rear surrounds. I would appreciate some advice. I've been told to put them in the ceiling, approximately off the back corners of where our couch will sit. I've also been told by someone else they can go in the walls. What is the preferred location / setup for my space using the MPX speakers for rear surround, please?

The basement will have 8' ceilings. The 7000s have been suggested, but so have the 650s for the Atmos speakers. I am trying to be mindful of a budget. But which ones would be the better choice? IF I go with the 650s due to budget constraints will I still have a decent sound product?

I would also appreciate your recommendation for which speakers to use for the right and left Side speakers (in ceiling), please.

Lastly, since we are doing the entire basement remodel currently, we may have to piece the system together over time as the budget allows. So let's say we have the fronts and center speakers...in what order would you then add the rest of the speakers for the best sound enjoyment as we build up to a complete 7.2.4 system?

Thanks for your help.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 7 years 3 months ago
Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
Hey, Rich Sound

Welcome to the Forum!!!

First, you're asking great questions. I tried to respond at some length with my thoughts, don't know where that disappeared.. no matter. Just want you to know that your questions matter and this is the right place to ask.

So I'll try several shorter answers. Moderator Dude, as THE expert, will no doubt comment as needed.

Re speaker placement in general, with Atmos/height systems, the recommendation is that all other speakers than the heights should "present' at ear level, so rear surrounds/MPX's would probably best be wall mounted.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
Continuing...

Re Invisa 650's vs. HTR 7000's as height speakers, I have Invisa 525's as top rears and HTR 7000's as top fronts (long story as to why). Both pairs are amazing as heights!!! Invisa 525's or 650's or 7000's are ALL up to the task. Period. You wouldn't go wrong with any. They are amazing as heights, "how do they do that" territory.

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
48" SONY 4K OLED TV

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
Re side speakers (I'm assuming they are your intended surrounds),. Again to keep the projected sound at ear level and if your only choice is ceiling speakers, then HTR 7000's seem the best option if you can get the appropriate distance for that effect.

Rick
48" SONY 4K OLED TV

• Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
Re order of speakers to install over time (again, my opinion)

I'd want to get to surround first (5.1), so side/surround speakers first. Then, add heights, even one pair at a time to add Atmos effects. I'd consider adding rear surrounds to get to 7.2.4 last (some opinions state that rear surrounds are less needed when 4 channels of heights are employed.... I just LOVE my 5.2.4 system as is).

Have you auditioned/chosen your fronts and center yet? They are mainstays in an HT system. I'd consider getting the best your budget allows there and even going some slower on adding other speaker groups to the system if necessary.

You're headed for some great listening experiences! Enjoy the process and keep us posted!

Rick
48" SONY 4K OLED TV

• Rich Sound's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 5
Rich Sound Posted 7 years 3 months ago
Thanks for the great input Rick. I have listened to the entire Invisa line and decided that the MPX for LCR in wall works best for our basement layout. I will reconfigure my wire pull for the rear surrounds to be in wall just slightly above ear level instead of in ceiling.

Based on budget contraints I will focus on getting a 5.1 system setup started and add the heights in time. And eventually decide if the 7.2.4 is even in the cards for out HT setup.

Once again, Thanks for the response.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Invisa Series Speaker location help for basement remodel