file Triton 5's vs Triton 3+'s

• Suppertime's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 12
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Suppertime Posted 8 years 7 months ago
I had all but decided on a pair of Triton 5's for my new basement (33x19). With the 3+'s now out and the price so similar I'm wondering what the trade-offs, plus and minuses are of each.

In particular, which is my best bet for 2 channel listening. I will be using a Parasound Halo Integrated along with a VPI Scout 1.1 or Prime for analog listening. Sub, center and surrounds will all depend on which route I go between 5's or 3+'s.

Thanks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• imahawki's Avatar Offline
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    • Thank you received: 578
imahawki Posted 8 years 7 months ago
Caveat, I've heard neither of these speakers so my answer is based on more on my philosophy (I do own the Triton One). If you're comfortable with a powered speaker (and it doesn't take a deep search of this forum to show that GEt will stand behind their products even when warranties are expired) I'd go with the Three+. You're not going to integrate a sub as well as audio engineers with decades of experience were able to do with the powered GEts. If you are uncomfortable owning a powered speaker, then you have your answer.

Keep in mind that the Three+ has trickle down technology from the Triton One, but the Five already had that technology built in (improved drivers, balanced crossovers, etc.) IIRC.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe, Suppertime

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 7 months ago
Suppertime,

If you were considering a sub, you could skip the sub and go up to the T2+... Just a thought. The T5 had a sweeter midrange than the previous T3 but I haven't heard the new T3+. Best to audition all your options and pick the one YOU like best.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, steveo5200

• Dark's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 109
Dark Posted 8 years 7 months ago
If I had to guess, I'd imagine the differences are more about price, ease of upgrade-itis, and space concerns.

Not having heard the new Triton 3+, I'd imagine it sounds similar to a Triton 5 with 2 Force Field 3s. Although, I'd imagine the Triton 5 combination may have slightly better mids due to having 2 midrange drivers instead of just the single midrange driver on the Three+. Of course, bass integration becomes a little tricker since you have both towers and subwoofer boxes to place.

The Three+ lets you save $500 (usd) to still get you very similar performance and lets you save space (no separate subwoofer boxes to place)

Keep in mind that the FF3 is designed for smaller rooms. The Triton 5s would let you upgrade the bass with the Force Field 4 (similar to the Triton 2s) or the Force Field 5 (similar to the Triton Ones). Not to mention the well regarded and new SuperSubs; although they are a bit costly. That's the flexibility that starting with just the passive towers allows you, cheaper upgradability by saving $500 upfront.

Basically, based on your room size and your bass output desires, if you think you'd be happy with the leaner bass from the Triton Three+, I'd recommend you get those and save the $$$ (and room space) to use somewhere else in your system. If your room is bigger or your bass output desires grander, I'd recommend the Triton 5s and save up for one of the larger ForceField or SuperSubs as your budget allows.

I would like to take a moment and mention that two smaller subs generally sounds better than a single large sub especially if you need a wider sweetspot, ie. more than one person will be enjoying the system sitting together. For example, I'd rather have 2 of the FF3s for the same price as 1 of the FF5s. It may not play as low, but it'll sound more even around the room.

That's a long post, I hope it makes sense!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe, Suppertime

• Suppertime's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 12
Suppertime Posted 8 years 7 months ago
Thanks to all. Very informative and greatly appreciative. I think first I have to listen to them both, but my gut is telling me to go with the 5's.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 8 years 7 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by Moderator. info_outline

Suppertime wrote: I had all but decided on a pair of Triton 5's for my new basement (33x19). With the 3+'s now out and the price so similar I'm wondering what the trade-offs, plus and minuses are of each.

In particular, which is my best bet for 2 channel listening. I will be using a Parasound Halo Integrated along with a VPI Scout 1.1 or Prime for analog listening. Sub, center and surrounds will all depend on which route I go between 5's or 3+'s.

Thanks.

If its going to be a multi-channel home theater and you are planning an external sub(s), the Triton Five is the right choice. That's a pretty big room to have a home theater based on Triton Three+'s and no external sub (although a pair of Triton Two+'s would do that job nicely).
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, T Cobe

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton 5's vs Triton 3+'s