file Triton Three Amp Recommendations/Questions

• jwglista's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 7
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
jwglista Posted 9 years 6 months ago
I'm currently in the process of trying to get a new amp for my Triton Three towers. I am using a PS Audio DirectStream Dac, so I don't need an integrated since it has a volume control, but I am not opposed to it. Here are some things on my radar:

1) Pass Labs XA30.5/X150.5
2) Pass Labs INT-30A/INT150
3) Cary SA 200.2
4) Emotiva XPA 1 gen 2

i currently have a PrimaLuna ProLogue Two, and a Yamaha A-S2000 integrated. I favor tonality, but I'm currently willing to sacrifice just a bit of that to get more bass extension and overall impact.

I'm a but confused on how amps would play into the amp/speaker combo with the Triton Threes, given that they how built-in sub amps. Before I bought the speakers, I thought you'd only need lower power to get high performance, but I'm finding that with my Yamaha A-S2000, the bass is rather lacking when compared to my PrimaLuna.

I've read that the Pass XA30.5 has excellent tonality, but that the bass impact wasn't that outstanding, so I'm not sure that would be the way for me to go.

I recently tried a pair of the Krell s-150m, and they were way too dry and sterile for my tastes, and overall just not a great value at all.

Does anyone have any comments/recommendations here?

Thanks,

John
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Winefix's Avatar Offline
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
    • Thank you received: 70
Winefix Posted 9 years 6 months ago
My advice,

Sell the t3s and Buy a pair of Triton ones and use with Primaluna.
All the impact and bass you would ever need and better midrange drivers / crossovers to boot.

That would sound way better than T3s with a pass lab amp.
Also- The Emotiva amps are bright sounding to my ears vs Pass or Cary.

Good luck !!

Winefix
Good times, good wine, and great music !!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by jwglista. info_outline
Thanks for the reply.

I'm not sure that would be the best solution for me, given the size of my listening room. Also, I've noticed that different amplifiers give different levels of bass satisfaction with the Triton Threes, so changing speakers may not be the solution. If anything, maybe the Triton Twos would help out. But again, it seems like without the proper amp, you still won't get the best impact out of the Triton speakers.

Edit: I used to own an Emotiva XPA-2 a while back. I don't recall if I thought it was bright, but I was also using it with Paradigm speakers that had a metal dome tweeter, so it almost always had a slightly sharp sound.

John

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 9 years 6 months ago
Winefix is spot on. IMHO, I would upgrade to the T2s or T1s first and deal with the amp second. Also, would swapping tubes in the PrimaLuna be an option? You may be able to fine tune the sound for a few hundred dollars... Between some new tubes and an upgrade to the speakers, you should have plenty of low end. Let us know how you make out.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable

I am currently using the Gold Lion KT 88's, which so far have been the most impactful tubes I've used.

The point of getting a new amp isn't just for bass though, it's for overall transparency and enjoyment. Bass is probably one of the top things I'd like to improve, but there are other things that can be improved. Changing out the speaker using the same amp won't change much of that, since the general design of the speakers use the same drivers.

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 9 years 6 months ago
John,

I believe the amps and crossovers are better in the T2s and T1s as well as havin larger passive radiators. Quickest way to judge for yourself may be to take your PrimaLuna to your GoldenEar dealer and listen first hand with your amp on both speakers. Just a thought...

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, anthem

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton Three Amp Recommendations/Questions