file SuperCenter XL with a Dedicated Sub?

• asiano's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 1
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
asiano Posted 10 years 2 weeks ago
Last edit: 10 years 2 weeks ago by asiano. Reason: Updated Subject info_outline
I am considering a Triton 1 system with the SuperCenter XL and was wondering if it made sense to get a ForeceField 3 for the SuperCenter XL versus routing the bass from the center to a separate sub or the Triton 1's?

I like the idea of having a full-range center and thought adding the ForceField 3 would "create" a full-range center. I would place the ForeceField 3 directly below the SuperCenter XL in my entertainment center on the bottom shelf.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 10 years 2 weeks ago
Hi Asiano,
I have not had the pleasure of hearing the Triton Ones, and they probably have plenty of bass, probably don't need the help (you can just set your crossover to 80 Hz or so to let the bass go to them, they will fill in the bass) BUT I like your idea. You can never have too much bass, IMHO. And just below the SC XL should work perfectly.
I would say, why not?
Of course, what you might do is go with the Ones, and the SC XL and see how it sounds, and decide then whether you need the sub or not.
Enjoy the ride, it is all fun and GREAT music.
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 10 years 2 weeks ago
Yes, that will work, but our preference would be to let the Triton Ones handle the center channel bass. If your room isn't too big and your tastes for volume not excessive, you can crossover the SuperCenter XL as low as 40Hz. That makes it pretty much full range, although the max playing ceiling will be limited by the center. A 100 Hz crossover would be needed for the SCXL to play as loud as the Triton Ones (with the mono center channel signal below 100Hz being played by the twin Triton One subs). This actually works amazingly well, as the mono bass signal produced by the stereo subs yields a phantom center channel sub.

The other advantage to this approach is the use of the digital crossovers in the receiver/processor instead of the fixed high-pass speaker-level analog crossover in the ForceField 3 - which is actually intended to be for the SuperSats (6dB/octave starting at about 150 Hz).
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• Eric Tichi's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 76
Eric Tichi Posted 9 years 6 months ago
Great question and it is one that I have toyed with trying to answer. I have a SVS SB-1000 that could be used in concert with either the SuperSat or a SuperCenter. I already have 2 PB-2000 for my LFE. I always wanted a full range center and we could achieve this by OP original question. But I understand if you cross to high, in case for the SuperSat, wouldn't it be better to situate the SB-1000 as close to the center as possible? This would be to reduce audible localization.
Play it loud.

Emotiva UMC-200
Parasound A21
Parasound A23
Triton 5 L/R
SuperCenter XXL
Dayton 18 sealed (DIY)

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 9 years 6 months ago

Eric Tichi wrote: in case for the SuperSat, wouldn't it be better to situate the SB-1000 as close to the center as possible? This would be to reduce audible localization.

Yes, that's correct.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series SuperCenter XL with a Dedicated Sub?