file Triton amplification

• Ewardjr69's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 51
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Ewardjr69 Posted 10 years 7 months ago
Question for my fellow GoldenEar fanatics. I am currently running my my triton 2s and SuperCenter XL with my Emotiva XPA-3. I am thinking that when I get the Triton 1s that I might switch to the XPA-2 which is 300 WPC and run the center and my (4) rears HT 7000 off of my XPA-5. Another option would be to upgrade to an XPR-2 which is 600 WPC. I know the final specs haven't been released but since the triton 1s are estimated to be 92 db would the XPR-2 be overkill or would they provide sufficient headroom. I have a rather large area. I would love to hear from the group
(2) GoldenEar References, GoldenEar SuperCenter XXL, (4) GoldenEar HTR 7000, Dual Seaton Sumbersive HP (Master / Slave), Sony VPL 55es, Dalite 119 inch UTC, Darby Darblet, Oppo 103, Integra 80.3, Emotiva XPR 2, Emotiva XPA 5, Panamax 5102, Harmony Elite.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
MOBrien Posted 10 years 7 months ago
I think the XPR-2 would be overkill. Although, there is something to be said for overkill! That would be a crazy system. Remember, all the Trition speakers have built in bass amps. This takes a lot of the workload off your other amps. They do not need to reproduce power sucking low frequencies.

Personally, I would take a wait and see attitude. Once you get the Triton 1s, hook them up to your existing amps and see if you have enough headroom. If you are lacking headroom then upgrade. The cool thing about Emotiva is, if you do not like something you can always send it back for a full refund (within 30 days). If your existing amps do not have enough headroom you can order the XPA-2. If that does not have the headroom you are looking for, you can send it back and get the XPR-2.

Do you use your system strictly for surround, or do you you listen to 2 channel music? If you listen to a lot of 2 channel music, as I do, you may consider a pair of Emotiva XPA-1L's or even the XPA-1's. Not necessarily for the headroom, but for their Class A circuitry. Just a thought? I know, I added more decisions to the process:-)

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 10 years 7 months ago
Just my opinion but I don't think the xpr-2 or any other amp would be overkill, especially for the Triton 1. If you will be listening to a lot of music, as Mobrien suggested, I would consider the xpa-1 Gen 2 (60 w. class A) for its mono block capabilities or the xpa-1L, same sweetness less watts. If money, space or electrical issues are not a problem, the xpr-1 would be the 'end all' of 'end alls'.
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: MOBrien

• Ewardjr69's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 51
Ewardjr69 Posted 10 years 7 months ago
Sorry I have been swamped at work and haven't had a chance to check the site. I pulled the trigger on the XPR-2 and it will be delivered tomorrow. I am about 80:20 HT to music. I have made a ton of upgrades in the last couple of months both video and in sound. I need to get everything hooked back up, fined tuned and playing. I wanted to get the amp situation locked down so that when the 1s come I can just switch them out and run audessy. I am a big emo fan and I so excited to see how the XPR-2 mixes with the Triton 1. I'm a lot of things but patient isn't one of them lol.
(2) GoldenEar References, GoldenEar SuperCenter XXL, (4) GoldenEar HTR 7000, Dual Seaton Sumbersive HP (Master / Slave), Sony VPL 55es, Dalite 119 inch UTC, Darby Darblet, Oppo 103, Integra 80.3, Emotiva XPR 2, Emotiva XPA 5, Panamax 5102, Harmony Elite.
The following user(s) said Thank You: anthem, MOBrien

• Visitor
  • Visitor
MOBrien Posted 10 years 7 months ago
Cool, That is one big powerful amp. Waiting is difficult, I have the same problem when I order a new toy. I'm waiting for the Emo XMC-1 pre/pro. Please keep us posted!!!!!!!!

• anthem's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 9175
anthem Posted 10 years 7 months ago
Eward: I think you've made a great decision on the xpr-2. According to "Boomzilla" and his "on going journey" I think you'll be one "happy boy!"
D-Sonic m3a-600m Mono > McIntosh MC152 > Primaluna ProLogue Premium Preamp > Oppo UDP205 > Decware ZLC > Triton Reference > Isoacoustics Gaia 2 > Canare 4S11 Speaker Cables > Audience Forte 3, Anticable L3 & Shunyata Venom PC's

Every great performance deserves an Audience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: MOBrien, Ewardjr69

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Triton Series Triton amplification