file Woofer without the SUB bass.Neighbor friendly.DSP?

• Jamison1's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 0
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Jamison1 Posted 10 years 8 months ago
Hi,

First surround sound system for me. Only young but love good sound.

I need some recommendations on adding some lower bass to the aons, WITHOUT going into the SUB bass earthquake rattle territory.

Any large explosion and such I can hear the Aons kind of bottom out with a kind of flat bass as they try to go low. They do well but need to help them out I think.

I've just bought a pair of AON 2's for fronts, supersat 3's for surrounds and centre.

In a top floor apartment and don't want to destroy neighbour relations!!!

Is adding a EQ DSP I between sub and amp a bad idea. I basically want real tight controlled bass, but for it to stop producing real LOW bass, say 25hz-35hz

Using a hz sweep, the Aons struggle until about 55hz-60hz.

Onkyo 609 amp being used. Thinking REL T5 as it's meant to be very controlled bass.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 10 years 8 months ago
Last edit: 10 years 8 months ago by Moderator. info_outline
No good answer for that (other than buying a cheap sub with no bass extension, which seems like a really bad idea), I'd suggest you add the subwoofer with a 60 to 80Hz crossover, to give the Aons some low frequency headroom for movie playback and just keep the sub level low ... a good room EQ system should take out the big lumps too, which are what's most likely to bother the neighbors.

BTW, you can't measure bass in the nearfield on a multi-surface radiator and use that as a statement about bass response. The in-room response of the Aons is flat to about 42 Hz. Their maximum level at that frequency is, of course, less than in the midband, which is why a sub is necessary to achieve higher, bass-laden playback levels.

Thanks for the amazingly quick feedback! First post,so yeah, thanks.

I'm loving the whole goldenear range, just I'm new to the setup game. Quality of your speakers is insane, build quality. Just So many other hifi settings and parts to get right.

Are EQ DSP's generally a bad idea, or a bad way to tackle problem then?in my head I would buy a real good quality sub, forcefield 3 let's say. Use EQ to simply pull down the curve on the low hz brands completely.leaving a good sub to produce the slightly higher hz range like normal.

The EQ on the onkyo only let's me lower the 63hz band by -6db, which doesn't really make a whole bunch of difference.

I thought that if I lower the volume on a sub then it would change all the range, and so would mess up how it integrates with the satellites at crossover etc.

Is any of my thinking correct? Newbie so just want to learn from the experts. Been scouring the web for days and days for best answer.

Cheers

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3418
Moderator Posted 10 years 8 months ago
You bet. Glad to hear you are enjoying your speakers.

EQ's are not necessarily bad, especially if you can use them just in the sub channel path. The EQ on the receiver is just a bass control, not a sub-bass filter like you are thinking.

Lower sub volume will lower the overall level, but generally people have the sub up way too high anyway :) .

You could also set the crossover even lower (say 40Hz), less improvement in system dynamic range but more control over low bass level without affecting the lower midrange as much. Although even at 60 or 80Hz that's pretty far out of the midrange (typically considered to start at 150Hz) and shouldn't really impact the overall sound dramatically if the sub level is a bit on the low side.

Hope this helps. Have fun.

Okay will try the tips you said.

Stupid question, but here goes....Can you damage them at all by setting them as full band on the avr? LFE going through them and all, is there an internal cutoff to stop damage?

My jamo sub sucks at the minute so was tempted to do this until I get forcefield. Bad idea?

Cheers

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support Aon Series Woofer without the SUB bass.Neighbor friendly.DSP?