file Triton 3 versus Triton 5

• Evan Fort's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 3
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Evan Fort Posted 8 years 8 months ago
I have a fairly small room, 10x12 with 9 foot ceilings. It's hardwood so a rug goes down this even to cover most of it. I think it will work out okay with bookshelves along the right side and a non-parallel wall segment, but we'll see once I get a system set up in there.

I am creating a system just for listening to stereo music. I don't intend to ever use them for home theatre. I do like a lot of different types of music though.

The goldenear speakers are rather efficient and for my small room I figure that I can go for the smaller designs and a modest integrated amplifier (80 watts). I have a thousand questions about that as well, NAD versus Marantz or Peach, etc but I suppose that's a question for another forum. Something with a good DAC and perhaps connect an appleTV and/or a sonos connect (for Tidal).

The price difference between the 3s and the 5s is fairly negligible. I see the 3s as a great value with their built in subs. I assume that I won't have to buy a separate sub which allows me to spend more on everything else. But, my local dealer doesn't have the 3s for demo and I'm just wondering if there is any reason I should be thinking about the 5 instead?

much thanks --
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 8 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by Moderator. info_outline
Evan,

Welcome to the forum! You're certainly on the right track. Given the choice of the Triton 3 or the Triton 5 for a 2-channel system, I'd pick the 5, hands down! In fact, I'd take the T7 over the T3, but that's just my preference. To my ear, the T3 is just too laid back and I believe it is due to the one, small mid bass driver. Your listening preferences may be different than mine and what ever sounds best to you is the right choice.

You can certainly ask the forum members for their opinion on associated components. There are a number of great choices out there. An Oppo 105 with a good stereo amp would be another great solution and may offer more flexibility. Again, my best advice is to go out and listen to as many options as you can to decide what you like best. If you have a price range and can describe your listening preferences, you may get some better recommendations. Right off the bat, I'd recommend PeachTree, Parasound Halo Integrated, Anthem I-225, or any of the Hegel units (H-80, H-160, or H-360). NAD has some great units and PS Audio has the Sprout. I'm sure any of the Marantz units would sound great as well. The Tritons are all very efficient and can be driven with very modest power.

Whatever you do, get out and listen to as many combinations as possible. You may want to check with your GET dealer to see when they may be getting the T3s back on the display floor. They may have something in the works...

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable

• ArthurDaniels's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 1811
ArthurDaniels Posted 8 years 8 months ago
Hi Evan,

I suspect that you will begin to receive replies and comments about both your speaker option questions and your electronics questions as forum regulars get back into their post-holiday regular routines. I own a pair of Triton Sevens, a pair of Triton Ones and a pair of SuperSat 3Cs. I use my speakers for both music and home theater, but my main interest is music - mostly classical.

It is unfortunate that your dealer does not have a pair of Triton Threes. I presume he does have a pair of Triton Fives ant that you have heard them. The Triton Fives will have reasonably strong bass by themselves - especially if you plan to listen at louder levels. But, the Triton One/Two/Three series will have stronger and deeper bass, plus give you the option to adjust the LFE level at the speakers. And, with LFE speaker inputs, you would have the option of choosing different amplifier configurations for feeding signals into your speakers.

You really would benefit from a comparative listening experience. Does your GE dealer have any of the Triton One/Two/Three models? If so, listen to what he has and study the differences between what he has and the Triton Threes. You might be able to make the correct decision between Threes and Fives by comparing the Fives to either the Ones or Twos.

One final note - regardless of what you can hear at the dealer, you won't know until you get them home. So, ask your dealer about swap options if home listening isn't satisfactory. You can even consider calling GE directly ti discuss your situation and get their recommendations.

Happy Listening,

Art
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 8 years 8 months ago
Hi Evan, Welcome to the forum, great to hear from you here!!!!
You are asking good questions and I am sure lots of us have opinions.
However, they are your ears and it is your room so we can only help a little. Maybe.
The size of your room is not really an issue, to me.
But how much bass you want to hear IS the issue to me.
We see you have not heard the T 3s but have you heard the T 5s?
IF you heard and liked the T 5s and are wondering if the T 3s are the same but bigger and have bass, that is not exactly
true. The HVFR is the same or VERY similar. So the GEt sound will be there in both speakers. But the T 5s have new and improved electronics in them.
Let me just throw out my 2 cents worth, for what it is worth. IF you don't mind a sub in your listening room, I would go with the T 5s and see how you like them, see IF they have enough bass for you and your room? IF so, GREAT, you are there. IF not, then add a sub.
IF you cannot live with the sub, then get the T 3s, or even better the T 2s or Triton Ones.
And electronics, for a small room and ONLY two channel, why not think about an integrated tube amp and have the best sound of all?
Have fun with it, God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: T Cobe

• Dark's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 109
Dark Posted 8 years 8 months ago
Hey Evan,

It looks like you've done your homework and are on the way to some excellent sound.

In your case, I'd actually recommend the Triton 5's and here's why:
You are correct, that the Triton 3 has the built-in subwoofers which means it WILL play lower than the Triton 5. This, I think, is more important for movies than it is for music. Unless you listen to a lot of EDM, Hip Hop, etc. the extra bass extension wouldn't benefit you in a system used primarily for music.

Once you start looking into the mid/treble range is where you'll notice the Triton 5's and 3's sound quite a bit different. The reason for this is Sandy and team have discovered/developed better internal voodoo in the Triton 1's which they've applied to the Triton 5's. What this means, is that the Triton 5's have a more open, spacious, and musical sound to them that the older Triton 3's don't have. This is the primary reason that for you, in a music environment in a small room, I think you'll love a Triton 5. Plus, you can always add a subwoofer down the road if you needed.

If you can, take a listen to the Triton 2 and the Triton 1. Ignoring the bass, this is the sonic difference you'd hear between the Triton 3 and the Triton 5.

As a Triton 3 owner, I can tell you that you won't go wrong either way!

Enjoy your new system and don't forget to post some pictures! We love seeing everyone's set-ups on here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, T Cobe

• Evan Fort's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 3
Evan Fort Posted 8 years 8 months ago
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

This is all actually very useful and some serious things to consider. I will head over to my local dealer this weekend and try some different combinations. I also think there may be a second dealer a little north of here that may have them for demo.

More than anything, I just look forward to hearing a bunch of different set ups. I have heard the triton 1, 2, and 5. Knowing that the 3 is not automatically just "better" than the 3 is valuable input and helps push me to really hear the full setup.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Clubhouse Write Your Own Review Triton Series Triton 3 versus Triton 5