file SuperSat 50 Crossover Setting

• rahmanim's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 6
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
rahmanim Posted 12 years 10 months ago
thanks for the feedback. The speaker settings have always been based on Audyssey. I've tried turning off Audyssey already and the crackling is still there. I'm not sure how Audyssey knows since the Triton's have a built in Subwoofer and the setting is set to "No" to direct all the low frequencies to the Triton subwoofer. I know the LPF setting is suppose to send it to the "Large" speaker, but there are not that many speakers out there with a built in subwoofer. I'm curiuos why the recommendation not to hook-up the subwoofer to the receiver especailly since the new receivers are coming out with .2 availability for 2 subwoofers. It sounds like it is a defective speaker, so I will contact my dealer and see if I can get a replacement.

thanks,
Missagh

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3416
Moderator Posted 12 years 10 months ago
Bass management systems automatically direct bass according to setup. The recommended setup is the simplest and most reliable way to insure proper setup and functioning of the system. There is no advantage to using the sub-out on the receiver and it adds significantly to setup complexity (and therefore the likelihood of poor setup and poor results). Directing all bass to the Tritons by specifying them as "Large" and "No" subwoofer allows for the easy and reliable-results speaker-wire only connection.

sounds good. I'm very happy with my GoldenEar speakers and was very surprised to see this issue with the SuperSat50. I will let you know what the dealer finds out when they look at the speaker. I was really hoping it was either the broadcast or the receiver.

thanks,
Missagh

Glad you're enjoying the Tritons - properly functioning and setup the SuperSat 50C makes a wonderful center channel speaker (I have been using one for almost a year now). Although we have had an amazingly low number of product problems, odds are always that there will be a few. I'm sure the dealer will evaluate and if necessary replace the speaker for you, so you can get right back to enjoying your system. Sorry for the troubles.

I would like to suggest though to update the owner's manual on the SuperSat50/3. I didn't see anything in reference to a crossover setting. All it states to put it to "smalI" and subwoofer to "Yes" if the ForceField Subwoofer. know the ratings on the SuperSat50 goes from 60Hz to 35kHz and the SuperSat3 is 80Hz to 35kHz which suggest that they support THX standard of 80 Hz. I know THX is just a standard, but many of the receiver's today recommend setting speaker's to THX standard to get the best sound effects. If you look at the Onkyo TX-NR5008 owner's manual it tells you to manually set THX certified speakers to 80Hz. In addition, Audyssey has become very popular with room correction and setting the levels (caliberation and crossover) according to the space the speakers are in.

thanks,
Missagh

Thanks for your continued interest. My answers up to now have been the "short version", simply intended to answer your exact question. Your continued communication makes me assume you are interested in the "long answers", so here goes:
  • The Owners Manual is a guide for best results and is not meant to replace the expertise of your GoldenEar dealer;
  • The SuperSat 50C can be used in a variety of setups, all of which may have different "best" crossover settings and therefore we do not give a specific number in the owners manual. The instruction of "set to Small" will yield an automatic 80Hz crossover with almost every receiver/processor, which is a fine starting point;
  • THX standards cannot be universally applied to any/every speaker - and most certainly not for crossover settings which are speaker, room, and system dependent;
  • Your specific question related to using the 50C with Triton Twos, and for that setup the 120Hz crossover is recommended so the 50C can achieve the same playing ceiling as the Triton Two (which is VERY loud) and take appropriate advantage of the stereo subwoofers;
  • We are well aware of the marketplace and Audyssey's and other room correction system's place within it - the GoldenEar design, engineering and sales/marketing team have over 200 years of combined audio industry experience. Your receiver's auto-setup did appear to select appropriate crossovers, within its limitations (the 100 Hz crossover is fine), but the 50C will not play as loud as the Tritons maximum level if you were to use that setting. Audyssey does not know what your L/R speakers playing ceiling is and therefore cannot make a decision based on that criteria.
  • Our collective experience with the results of an Audyssey auto-setup is that about half the time the system sounds better without the Audyssey EQ engaged. I do not know why, but the use of an un-calibrated microphone is probably partly to blame, as well as the "one size fits all" sonic evaluation approach which does not, in our experience, lead to universally good results with all types of speakers in all types of rooms.
Hope this helps to add some clarity. Thanks again for your continued interest.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support SuperSat Series SuperSats SuperSat 50 Crossover Setting