file SuperSat 50 Crossover Setting

• rahmanim's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 6
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
rahmanim Posted 12 years 10 months ago
I was wondering if there is a recommendation of the crossover setting on the SuperSat50 center with the following configuration:

Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR5007
Center: SuperSat50
Front L/R: Triton Two
Front High L/R: SuperSat3
Surround L/R: SuperSat 3

I did Audyssey and these are the settings that it came up with:

Center: 100Hz
Front L/R: Full Band (Large)
Front High L/R: 100 Hz
Surround L/R: 120 Hz

I'm getting a lot of bass through the center and sometimes I get crackling from the voice on the center channel. Not sure if this is due to the setting, receiver, TV program, BD Disc (new Top Gun that was just released) or the speaker. I actually have a recording of TV show Blue Bloods that just aired where towards the end when the grandfather is talking there is a distortion (crackling sounding) on the center channel. This is very annoying. I even set the crossover to 40Hz to see if the distortion stops, but I can still hear it.

Any suggestions before I contact my dealer would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
Missagh

Any sugg

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3416
Moderator Posted 12 years 10 months ago
For a TritonCinema Two system the SuperSat 50C center channel speaker should be set to "Small" and a 120 Hz crossover. The Triton Two Left/Right must be set to "Large" and subwoofer to "None". The 120Hz crossover is fine for the SuperSat 3's in your system as well.

If you are getting bass through the center than your receiver is not setup correctly, as specified above, and you should go back through the settings and confirm. You may wish to do a manual setup in case the auto setup is causing the problem.

Onkyo doesn't have a "small" setting. I re-ran Audussey and this is the following setting:

Triton Two's (Front): Full Band
SuperSat50 (Center): 100Hz
SuperSat3 (Front High): 100 Hz
SuperSat3 (Surround): 120 Hz
LPF of LPE: 120 Hz

Do you want me to manually set the SuperSat50 and SuperSat3 crossover to 120 Hz?

thanks
M

In addition, one correction to my receiver model. It is actually Onkyo TX-NR5008 and my Audyssey is MultiEX32.

thanks,
M

One additional clarification on the issue I'm exepriencing with the SuperSat50. The BIG issue is the fact that at times I'm getting a crackling (static) voice at certain times. I adjusted the crossover to 120Hz for the Center, Surround, and Front High speakers and still getting the crackling voice when I replay the Blue Bloods recording in that specific scene.

I've checked my connection and it is in correctly.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
Missagh

• Moderator's Avatar Offline
    • Thank you received: 3416
Moderator Posted 12 years 10 months ago
The standard Dolby "Small" setting is invoked when you set a crossover frequency, as per page 52 of your manual. As long as you have set the crossover as suggested and indicated "No" for subwoofer, the receiver SHOULD be directing bass away from the center to the left/right towers. If this is the case, you should not be hearing low frequencies coming from the center speaker. You may also want to turn off the Audyssey EQ and see if the problem goes away.

If the center speaker still has a buzz, or crackle as you describe, after verifying correct operation of your receiver, it is then likely the unit has been damaged or is defective. Please contact your dealer for additional assistance.

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support SuperSat Series SuperSats SuperSat 50 Crossover Setting