question-circle X, XL, or XXL with Triton 7s?

• Pagesiderageside's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 7
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
Pagesiderageside Posted 6 years 9 months ago
Hello all,

New to the forums. Relatively long time fan of the Triton 7s.

I've been piecing my quasi-budget system together for a little while now. Wanted some help. I'm looking to upgrade my center channel.

Current System:
TV - LG C7 4K OLED 2017
AV Receiver - Denon AVR-X2300W
Towers - Triton 7s
Center channel - Cheap polk audio center
Satellites - Cheap polk satellites (can't remember names, in total for 4 sats and center I spent $200 about 8 yrs ago).
Sub - Bic Acoustech PL-200 II Subwoofer

I'm presently running this in a 3.1 setup as we live in a spacious pre-war apt within a brownstone and running cables does not make wife happy. Don't care for soundstage with phantom center and a 2.1 setup, but current center is starting to shows its weakness.
Apt has hardwood floors, tall ceilings.

Main use for center is movies/tv. Listen to a fair bit of 2.1 music.

So my question is which center is better for my needs: X, XL, or XXL? It seems consensus is that X and XL are fairly similar, but that XXL is a large step up in terms of dialogue quality. I'm not opposed spending extra money for XXL as from what I've read it seems to be a considerably better-sounding speaker. Does XXL pair well with 7s or are they more meant for the more expensive triton offerings?

I would test them out at my local stereo shop but they only have the XL.

Thanks!
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 6 years 9 months ago
Hi Pagesiderageside, and welcome here!!!!
You can't really go wrong with any of these SC speakers. I don't say that glibly, I mean it.
I always say, get the best speaker(s) you can afford, because these babies are soooooo good, you will be listening to them for many years, probably the rest of your life. Looked at like that, the XXL is the winner. It would be great with the T 7s.
However, if you are looking to save a little money on the center channel, and spend it elsewhere (like getting some bigger, better towers, the T 5s or even better the T 2s, then look at a smaller center. I say that with no worry, I am a totally surround sound and movies guy and I only have the SC X. That is all that will fit, but my fronts are TOnes, surrounds T 2s and rears T 3s. The SC X holds its own very well, thank you very much. Dialogue and music is superb through it.
Hope this helps, happy listening,
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, rjohn79395

Thanks for the prompt reply, Wayne!

I guess my principle was concern that I would run into tone/uniformity issues running such a beefy center channel with relatively less beefy towers. If you think XXL will go well with 7s then there is my answer :D.

I understand center channel is one of the most important speakers so I'd rather not skimp and have to buy bigger later. In the next several years (assuming we move out of Manhattan!), I would like to upgrade to triton ones and use the 7s and my rear satellites and get a few super sats or ceiling/wall speakers to get an atmos setup going.

Adam
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 6 years 9 months ago
Good one Adam!!!! THAT is a great plan!!!!!
I have the T 7s in my living room and they are fine speakers, just needing help on the bottom end.
I think you will be hard pressed to hear a difference between the 7s and the XXL.
That is the great thing about the whole GEt line, they all sound alike, sing so very well together.
Get them and you will not regret it!!!!
And don't be a stranger, let us know what you think?
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rjohn79395

Will be happy to give the community my impressions when I get it all situated :D. Thanks again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, HTSME

• rjohn79395's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • rjohn79395
    • Thank you received: 4322
rjohn79395 Posted 6 years 9 months ago
Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by rjohn79395. info_outline
Hey, Adam

I’m late to the party here. As often is the case, Wayne has already given great advice.

ANY GEt speaker sounds amazing with any other GEt speaker. I’ve had a Supersat 50c, then a Supercenter XL, then a XXL as centers. They all have matched perfectly with whatever combo of GEt speakers I had at the time. I totally agree with Wayne that a SCXXL would be a great choice. That “beefy center channel” as you called it, would be a perfect addition, and fit in perfectly with the T7’s. And yes, it is beefy. Plays with authority and clarity, bass or otherwise. Dialogue is clear as a bell also. Center channels play a huge role in surround.

No wrong decisions, but the XXL would be a great choice!

Happy listening!

Rick
5.4.4 HT speakers: T Ref fronts/LFE 1, SuperCenter Ref, T1 surrounds/LFE 2 + SuperSub XXL, HTR 7000 top fronts, HTR 8000 top rears
Zone 2 speakers; 2 Invisa 525's
AVR: Marantz SR 8015
Amp: AT525NC 5 channel
Cable/TiVo, OPPO BDP 105D, Bluesound Node 2i, Apple tv 4K streamer
48" SONY 4K OLED TV
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moderator, WayneWilmeth

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support SuperCenter Series X, XL, or XXL with Triton 7s?