file Considerations in choosing SuperCenter X vs XL

• filmfan214's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 9
  • arrow_drop_downMore arrow_drop_upLess
filmfan214 Posted 8 years 6 months ago
My first post here--thanks in advance for any advice.

I'm considering buying a GoldenEar hometheater system with Triton 2s, 3s, or maybe 5s as my main left and right speakers. I'm not sure how I should decide between the the SuperCenter X and XL for the center channel. Is the center channel choice impacted by which towers you use (e.g., would the XL be the standard choice for the Triton 2s and the X be the choice for the 3s/5s)? Or is the decision mainly based on room size? Would the XL definitely be better if I want to go without a subwoofer (I currently have a HSU VTF-15H MK2, but I'm considering going subwoofer-less if I get the Triton 2s)? All of the above?

My seating is only 8-10 feet from the screen, but it's an open floor plan basement, including an open staircase to the main floor directly to the side and behind the seating (so not a dedicated home theater box room). The front-to-back length of the theater area is only about 17-18 feet but the right side is open to the rest of the basement. Another consideration is that the SuperCenter X would fit on the center channel shelf in my TV stand, though I'm not entirely opposed to placing the XL on top of the cabinet.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 6 months ago
Filmfan214,

Welcome to the forum! You may want to review the posts here on the forum for the SCX and SCXL. I don't believe there is a huge difference between the two. Your best option would be to go to your local dealer and demo the speakers for yourself. That would be the best way for you to evaluate for differences. If you can hear a difference, you'll still have to place a value on that difference.

You have a lot of options. I would lean towards the new Triton 2+ or the Triton 5. Since you already have a good sub, you have some room to work with here. I currently run my T1s and a stand alone sub I had previously. Not because my system needed more bass but for the added dispersion. Whatever you do, I'd recommend getting your new GET speakers in place and deciding from there if you still want or need the extra sub.

Do you plan to use this setup for mostly home theater and/or multi-channel music play back? If so, I would even consider the SuperCenter XXL. You have a lot of options and none of them are wrong. It's a matter of finding what is best for you. Audition as many options as you can. You could go with the T5s and keep you current sub and spend a little extra on the center channel with the money you save on the towers. I have the SCXL and like it but wish the XXL had been available when I was purchasing. It is well worth the $400 price increase from the XL. If I were to upgrade, It would be a $1200 price increase since I already own the XL. I'm not sure the difference is worth that much...

Hopefully most of this makes sense and I'm not too all over the board here. Happy hunting and please let us know what you decide.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395, filmfan214

• filmfan214's Avatar Offline school
    • Thank you received: 9
filmfan214 Posted 8 years 6 months ago
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by filmfan214. Reason: correcting typo info_outline
Thanks, T Cobe! Great comments and suggestions. I have looked around the forum a bit and my impression was that the X and XL are very similar, which is what led to my questions, but I will keep reading. In any case, it is reassuring to hear than none of my options are wrong. Unfortunately, now I'm going to also be thinking about the XXL! To answer your question, I do planning on using the setup for mostly home theater. Only occasionally do I listen to multi-channel music.

I think you are right about keeping the sub until after I get the speakers. I wouldn't have considered getting rid of the sub except for what I've read in some reviews (I think on Sound and Vision, for example) where the reviewer said it was recommended to the reviewer to run the 2+ without a sub (just paraphrasing from what I remember). So I was thinking that selling the sub could help me defray some of the cost of upgrading my system.

My local dealer said they have the Triton 1 and 5 on the floor, so I'm looking forward to hearing them soon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, T Cobe

• T Cobe's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 4381
T Cobe Posted 8 years 6 months ago
Filmfan214,

The T1 and T5 demo should give you a pretty good idea as to which tower you would want. The new T2+ is probably going to sound very much like the T1s. If I had to choose between two Triton subs versus one stand alone sub, I would choose the two Tritons. The dual subs will give you better dispersion and will give you plenty of bass; in my experience.

Regarding the center, the SCXXL would be my first recommendation but the X and XL will also both sound very good. The XXL, from my limited experience, just has that extra bit of detail and transparency that you find with GETs balanced crossover technology found in the T1s, T5s, and soon the T2+ and T3+. As we've said here before, we're really talking about varying degrees of great sound with all of these choices. The only model I wasn't overly fond of was the T3. I believe the single, small mid-range driver created a recessed sound that is similar to B&W speakers. I find all the other models very neutral: neither forward or recessed in their presentation.

All my 2 cents. I look forward to hearing your impressions after your audition.

Cheers,

T Cobe
Speakers: Triton One L/R, SCXL, Aon 3 Surr/Back, HTR-7000 Height
Pre/Pro/AVR: Anthem AVM 60, Emotiva XSP-1
Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(2), Emotiva XPA-1L (2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Emotiva ERC-3, PS4, Pioneer PLX-1000 w/Ortofon 2M Bronze
Display: Epson 6030 UB, Elite Screens 110" Sable
The following user(s) said Thank You: WayneWilmeth, rjohn79395

• WayneWilmeth's Avatar Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    • Thank you received: 7040
WayneWilmeth Posted 6 years 7 months ago
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by Moderator. info_outline
Filmfan214,
Welcome, I too am a film fan!!!! Glad to have you here.
I wish I could add to what Bro T Cobe has said, but as always, he is spot on in his recommendations.
I will just add that I would always keep the sub for movies, I think there is no substitute.
And I ONLY have the SC X, and that is strictly because it is the only SC that fits in my entertainment center. And it is a BEAUT!!!!
I have never needed more center channel than it!!!! I have it paired with the TOnes.
As long as you are putting together a system, my recommendation is to always go for the best left/right front speakers you can afford. You will enjoy them for YEARS and YEARS in whatever situation. I think when you hear the TOnes, you will want to go for them, I know I did.
Decisions, but in the end, it is all fun.
God Bless,
Wayne
God bless the child that's got his own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HTSME

Moderators: Moderator
menu
close
Menu
person_outline
arrow_back
You are here: Home Forum Support SuperCenter Series Considerations in choosing SuperCenter X vs XL